z

Young Writers Society

Thunderclay & Peedobear

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:39 pm
Nate says...

Earlier today, two users made two dozen vulgar messages on YWS. Fortunately, I caught it early and all messages were gone within an hour of their posting. Also both users have been banned.

However, I bring this up because not one person pmmed me about this. I don't know if Jack or Mesh got a pm about it, but if they did not, this greatly concerns me. I know at least ten people knew about the messages, and did nothing about it.

I consider YWS to be a community. As such, you need to report vulgar messages the moment you see them to an admin. I was fortunate enough to catch it this time, but I hardly read even 10% of what gets posted nowadays.

So please, next time you see inappropriate behavior, report it!
Last edited by Nate on Thu May 03, 2007 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:42 pm
Jennafina says...

Thanks for catching it, Nate. :)
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:05 pm
Emerson says...

Thanks for killing it. I PMed Brad, since he was a mod and I figured he'd be on soon. Can we PM mods too, or should we PM only admins?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:45 pm
piepiemann22 says...

If i see anything I'll let some one know because I have no clue what to do.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

425 Reviews

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:19 am
Nate says...

Claudette wrote:Thanks for killing it. I PMed Brad, since he was a mod and I figured he'd be on soon. Can we PM mods too, or should we PM only admins?

Admin is in bold because only admins can ban. :P
Last edited by Nate on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:30 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Thanks for catching it- if I see something like that, first thing to do is PM someone. :P
ohmeohmy

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:02 am
Emerson says...

Ah, I see your point... See, thats why I asked! I didn't know. :-D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:16 am
Nate says...

Claudette wrote:Ah, I see your point... See, thats why I asked! I didn't know. :-D

Always good to ask questions :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:32 am
Snoink says...

We can delete though, so we mods have skillz! If, of course, we're on...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:57 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Ooo, I feel guilty. I was one of those people who saw the messages :( I'll remember if there's a next time
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:56 pm
deleted6 says...

I feel even more guilty they're arse holes from my school. Sorry everyone.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:52 am
Twit says...

I didn't see them...what section were they in?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:14 am
Firestarter says...

I didn't see the messages because I didn't log on much this weekend. However, if someone had PMed me, I would have seen it in my e-mail (I have notifications on) and thus could have come and saved the day. Alas. Well, just remember, you *can* PM me if you see something wrong, even if I'm not online, because I check my e-mails very frequently.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:10 pm
Areida says...

I didn't see them at all. I'm a pathetic excuse for a mod... :?

I would have zapped had I seen them, though! If that helps.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

425 Reviews

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:37 pm
Nate says...

Areida wrote:I didn't see them at all. I'm a pathetic excuse for a mod... :?

I would have zapped had I seen them, though! If that helps.

lol, don't worry about it and you're not pathetic!

I should clarify here. The entire incident lasted only an hour; that is, everything was taken care of an hour after the first post was made. During that time, no mods and no other admins besides myself were online, so I was the first one of the administration to see it. My main concern was that a number of users had already noticed it, but with the exception of Claudette, did not PM any of the mods or admins. Just concerned because that probably means a lot of the stuff (especially in the chatroom) goes unreported that really should be reported. There was another incident recently with a member in the chatroom. Despite making several people very uncomfortable with his messages, I don't think anyone reported him. Took care of him though.

What these incidents also show is that YWS needs a streamlined method of reporting nefarious behavior. There is a program that will let people do that, but I've always held off on employing it since I worry people will use it for everything (e.g., they don't like a critique). But maybe a trial test is in order.

To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg