Maintenance: Jan 2, 2022 @ 4pm GMT

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:19 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Maintenance Start Time: *
* Automatically adjusted to your local timezone

The Young Writers Society will be going offline for some server maintenance at the time listed above. During this downtime, the server will be upgraded to the latest LTS operating system version of Ubuntu, and I will also take the opportunity to test what's needed to upgrade YWS to php 8.

Downtime will last about an hour, though that's just an estimate. If it looks like I can transition YWS to php 8 with only minor headaches, it could take longer.

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:23 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Maintenance is over, but there are likely to be some issues. One that I've found so far is that chat is not working. Please let me know if there any others.

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:20 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Looks like there'll be a bit more maintenance! Got an email from the hosting company today saying they need to migrate servers between data centers. Not a big deal and it happens every couple years, but usually takes about 30 minutes to complete.

It's automatically scheduled for January 18 at 7pm GMT, but that's an inconvenient time and I rather just do it sooner rather than later.

Thus, the server will be going down for maintenance again at (automatically adjusted for your timezone). As before, a notice will be displayed up top beginning a couple hours before the downtime.

425 Reviews

Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:55 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Maintenance is over. If you're interested in the purpose of it, you can read this blog post by YWS' hosting provider, Linode:
https://www.linode.com/docs/guides/netw ... -upgrades/

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
— Mark Twain