Young Writers Society

Big Changes for 2010 (input needed!)

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:37 am
Jon says...

I just wrote a long, big thing explaining my views. It didn't show up. :(

Short version:

Badges: I don't think it would help the issue of "status".

Example:

(Molly)"I have three badges"
(Joe)"I want three badges!"
(Carol)"Well, *I* have five badges..."

I think people should be known for what they do around the site, just for doing it. (People will realize that...)

Then, I went onto say that.
*Removes Instructor Color* (I tried after posting...but it said I couldn't?) :?

I said that because I agree that people feel guilty if they don't meet-up to the "duty". Yes, life has gotten in the way...and I /do/ feel guilty. Which may be why I've strayed away a little.

Anyway, I like everything. Time will tell with the badges...and if they will cause a "status" like the colors do.

Great Job, guys!
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:44 am
JustDance says...

2010 sounds amazing Nate!
Alright, so after reading through everything, and the comments the only thing I'm on and off about is the badges.
First off you are completely right about the colors. I'm on vacation right now, but last night despite of myself I decided to come on and do as many greets as I could. Why? I felt guilty. However, it's a good thing too. When I have a sense of responsibility I don't slack or back down from my job. If we weren't pushed to do our job, YWS would be utter chaos.
As far as clique goes you are somewhat right, but I don't agree totally. I mean don't get me wrong here, I'm not selfish or anything, but I love wearing the blue suit. That does not mean however I go around and say, "Oh, you're not colored. I'm going to ignore you I guess."
Which is ironic considering Greeters and Instructors jobs are to meet and help new\old people despite their status.
Someone below (sorry I cannot find who right now) mentioned about how the badges will also form cliques, which is true. It's human nature. We will all like some people more than others. But think of this: Greeters, Instructors, Mods, JM's, Admins..they all can relate to their own group better. Mods understand other mods better, while Greeters understand Greeters better. Just like the groups. Usually people in the same groups are friends. Why? Interests, understanding, etc.
Cliques are something we cannot get rid of, and I think we all know better than to shun people that aren't the same as us, we're all mature enough to handle that.
The rest lies upon the members of YWS, I have given my two cents.
Thanks for letting us share how we feel however. :)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:54 am
Nate says...

Prokaryote wrote:
asxz wrote:I think the badges thing is a cool idea, but the ones you posted, Nate, looked very clutter-ish. If you did go through with this, I would suggest something like cartoon symbols, kind of like the emoticons. Red pen for Reviewer I, purple pen for Reviewer II, open book for Good story booking, and so on... Something can can be ignored it you want, or seen if someone wants to know. They could be about the size of the PM icon, because the ones shown before were a bit too big for my liking.

I vote in favour of this idea.

Pork

Thirded.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:11 am
airbear320 says...

Yay! I think these all sound like awesome changes that will make YWS even better. Happy New Years! :D
"Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds."
-Gordon B. Hinckley

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:08 am
Kamas says...

Nate wrote:
Prokaryote wrote:
asxz wrote:I think the badges thing is a cool idea, but the ones you posted, Nate, looked very clutter-ish. If you did go through with this, I would suggest something like cartoon symbols, kind of like the emoticons. Red pen for Reviewer I, purple pen for Reviewer II, open book for Good story booking, and so on... Something can can be ignored it you want, or seen if someone wants to know. They could be about the size of the PM icon, because the ones shown before were a bit too big for my liking.

I vote in favour of this idea.

Pork

Thirded.

Fourthed-ness ..

I agree.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:56 am
Snoink says...

Fifthed!

In addition, I really like this idea:

angels-symphony wrote:But for people who aren't so keen on the idea of having flashy badges whenever they post, why not have a badge case, or a ribbon case, or whatever it's called. On neopets they display all your awards on your profile, and they also have a token case/box place where you can display your awards like a gallery.

No clutter on the regular forums, but you could see the "trophies" on the person's profile. It'll be cool looking! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:50 am
Nate says...

How about these for the badges?
badges.png
badges.png (7.37 KiB) Viewed 233 times

The small icons would be displayed normally, and the large icons would be displayed when you rolled over the icon. I've only done the above three so far, but as you can imagine, the remaining two would look pretty much the same.

Not sure yet where they would be posted, but I'd prefer to do it on the topic pages. I still want to provide some recognition, and posting it in profiles would hide it too much I'm afraid.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 am
Kamas says...

I like these much better! Much much better!
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:54 am
Rosendorn says...

Ooh, I like those Nate!

How about right above the ability to PM a member? That way, they won't look odd if the person has more badges than IM addresses, (The opposite could also happen, but somehow I think that would look less odd? Guess I'm used to seeing people who don't have a full set of stars above the block of information under their avatar) and it's tucked into the profile rather subtly.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:55 am
Elinor says...

I like! :D

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:58 am
Angels-Symphony says...

I like, also!

...but it would be even awesomer if they were shiny like our homepage xD Okay, okay, maybe my thoughts are kind of cheesy.

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:01 am
Snoink says...

Red pens belong to the reviewers, silly! :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:09 am
Rosendorn says...

Snoink wrote:Red pens belong to the reviewers, silly! :P

Yes, they do. :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:13 am
JabberHut says...

As long as I get a rainbow pen.
I make my own policies.

425 Reviews

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:15 am
Nate says...

Before I decided to do law, I wanted to be a teacher. I've seen too many reports on red being associating with criticizing to give reviewing a red color.

Better or worse?:
badges.png
badges.png (11.59 KiB) Viewed 221 times

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"