z

Young Writers Society

Big Changes for 2010 (input needed!)

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:48 pm
Sureal says...

Regarding visual clutter:

You could always remove the review stars, and replace them with badges that take up a similar amount of space. The badges would have to be small and simple, though.
I wrote the above just for you.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:12 pm
AquaMarine says...

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if what I wrote (early in the morning) made you think that I wouldn't do anything if the groups were taken away. I have to admit that the idea of becoming an instructor definitely spurred me to review more than I would've done, but if the groups were taken away then I would by no means stop reviewing. Sure, it gave me something to work towards, but it was by doing something that I already enjoyed.

So I do like this idea. I was talking to someone in chat a while ago (Becki, I think) and she asked why becoming a colour was so important to people. And, despite myself, the answers I came up with were pretty stupid. There are some definite bonus points, but nothing that was extremely important. If the colours are removed, and people stop reviewing/greeting, then those people obviously aren't doing it for the right reasons.

Oh, and on the whole 48 hour thing: that sounds pretty great to me. It's not too short, but not too long. Perfect!

-Amy

EDIT: One thing I would like to ask about is the group (greeter and instructor) forums. Although there is a lot of old stuff in there, some of it is really useful, and they can be a great place to toss around new ideas on both subjects. I don't think it'll be a disaster without them, but it might be worth thinking about.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:17 pm
Evi says...

On Amy's note, we could keep the groups and just make them open groups about Greeting and Critiquing, for people to go to when they want suggestions in either area. And the whole 48-hour thing sounds good!

But why are you not red anymore Nate? I think that would cause complete chaos, getting rid of admin/Mod colors.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 pm
AquaMarine says...

Evi makes a good point. :D
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:19 pm
Elinor says...

EDIT: One thing I would like to ask about is the group (greeter and instructor) forums. Although there is a lot of old stuff in there, some of it is really useful, and they can be a great place to toss around new ideas on both subjects. I don't think it'll be a disaster without them, but it might be worth thinking about.

Maybe the groups can stay so greeters/instructors can discuss things in the special forums, but the colors can be removed?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 pm
View Likes
Kamas says...

I had a nice long speech written up and now it's gone Dx
Rawr computer!

The 48 hour thing is completely reasonable in my opinion. I don't now that many people who post a billion things a day. Thumbs up to that.

The best argument against colors I think comes from Critiq. Like him, I'm shocked at some of the people who aren't an Instructor. In some cases, this is because they never applied. In other cases, I think the person would feel insulted if they were made an Instructor. Getting rid of the colors gets rid of that ridiculous distinction whereby someone who has been a member of this site for years, gives excellent reviews, but is to the eyes of a lot of people lower on the YWS totem pole than some dude in purple.

I think this give you all the motivation to get rid of the colours. There are people I can't believe aren't instructors or greeters yet, while their are others who I feel really shouldn't have the colour. Especially when I see people bragging about the power that comes with it, I say: Off with their heads! or colours :lol:

The badges: They could work, just some extra work for you Nate. It's really up to you.
As for the nomination thing, for the popularity contest, it could happen as 5 nominations aren't a huge amount.

Kamas

EDIT:

But why are you not red anymore Nate? I think that would cause complete chaos, getting rid of admin/Mod colors.

I agree.

Maybe the groups can stay so greeters/instructors can discuss things in the special forums, but the colors can be removed?

I think this defeats the purpose, it's just the group without the paint job. I think open groups for everyone as Evi stated would be marvelous! It allows everyone to improve their reviewing/greeting for anyone who wishes too.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:54 pm
Conrad Rice says...

I know that the 48 hour period sounds pretty good to me. Like others have said, not too long, but not too short.

Regarding visual clutter:

You could always remove the review stars, and replace them with badges that take up a similar amount of space. The badges would have to be small and simple, though

If the review stars were removed, Snoink would have a fit. :P
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:07 pm
Nate says...

I spent too much time on the pros of getting rid of colors, and no time on the cons.

There are some things I like a lot about the color system, and there is indeed merit to the argument that it gives people something to reach for. However, people reviewed before there were Instructors, and reviews still go on in every writing forum where the only colors are green and red.

From my experience, you get much more of a personal high when you see yourself nominated by your peers. So a peer nomination process may be more effective in giving people something to reach for. Plus, you're still recognized for what you have done with badges.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:07 pm
asxz says...

I think the badges thing is a cool idea, but the ones you posted, Nate, looked very clutter-ish. If you did go through with this, I would suggest something like cartoon symbols, kind of like the emoticons. Red pen for Reviewer I, purple pen for Reviewer II, open book for Good story booking, and so on... Something can can be ignored it you want, or seen if someone wants to know. They could be about the size of the PM icon, because the ones shown before were a bit too big for my liking.
Just a suggestion.

Getting rid of colors is a good Idea - good analogy with the roman color thing. So true...

I like everything else, however. Can't wait to see what happens! 2010 should be great!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:57 pm
jessabelle4C says...

I'm stuck on the whole review ratio, yes to some it's a such a chore and all they want to do is write. But it does you expose to other writings. at least lower the ratio, to me the ratio is high.

Can't wait til 2010.

One request- could we have like wallpaper for our profiles, that would be so cool :)
Jessabelle
The past is the past, so don't bring it up.
JLJ is 4ever <3 :)

"Never give up, but there's a lot of people that would love to watch you fall and a lot of people wanting to see you succeed."

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Fishr says...

Agreed. Get rid of thr Instructor/Greeter groups. Their time has come and gone, and are no longer needed. It's be become more of a status symbol. As it is, I was an "instructor/teacher" long before I decided to become a legit YWS Instructor. Removing the two forums does not deteriate the ability to assist or welcome new members, and should not!

As for the ratio, I always thought it was a pain in the butt. Need I say more? I agree with the suggested changes for 2010. Change is good. Repetition is evil and destructive.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:12 am
Aina says...

I think removing the review ratio is a very good thing. At the moment I am totally confused at what it actually is. (2:1 - 3:1 - 4:1 - 5:1 ???).
I think the 48 hour solution is much better. I only have the time to visit YWS during vacation and on weekends most of the time so I would rarely get into conflict with that. I also like to review when I have time, but then I like to invest time into my review and that can make it hard to come up with the necessary ratio.

As for the colours and badges. I actually don't really pay attention to colours unless it is a mod explaining rules or similar because then I know that person knows their business. But I can see how greeters and instructors would form cliques (in my opinion that's human nature - which is no excuse).

What made me wonder when I read the whole badge thing. Was the "Reviewer I" and "Reviewer II" business. Where is the difference? Or am I missing something here that already exists?
I was surprised that no one mentioned this before. My thanks to asxz for mentioning these two badges otherwise I would have assumed that I just imagined it.

Aina
"Do you choose the path you walk upon or does it choose you?" - Abhorsen by Garth Nix

(freely translated form the language I read it in)

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:24 am
BigBadBear says...

Yes. Get rid of the colors. That's a fantastic idea. I'm kind of biased on the rest of it--I wouldn't care, either way. I know I'm no help, but I like the idea of getting away from cliques and becoming a community.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:32 am
Prokaryote says...

asxz wrote:I think the badges thing is a cool idea, but the ones you posted, Nate, looked very clutter-ish. If you did go through with this, I would suggest something like cartoon symbols, kind of like the emoticons. Red pen for Reviewer I, purple pen for Reviewer II, open book for Good story booking, and so on... Something can can be ignored it you want, or seen if someone wants to know. They could be about the size of the PM icon, because the ones shown before were a bit too big for my liking.

I vote in favour of this idea.

Pork

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 am
Elinor says...

Nate wrote:Rules for the chat
1. Family Friendly.
2. No chat speak.
3. No flaming.

So does this mean caps are going to be allowed now? O_o

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

The first draft is a trip to the amusement park. The next drafts are returning there as a safety inspector.
— SunsetTree