z

Young Writers Society

A Must Read: Changes to Reviews

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:02 am
Nate says...

Aye, the stars will eventually come back. They haven't been high on the priority list since no one mentioned it until now!

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:16 am
MagnusBane says...

Good idea, Nate. The error message is a great idea.

Hopefully this will help everyone get more reviews on their stories, so we don't have any more review crises.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:34 pm
Kamas says...

I like the increase Nate, but 10:1 is insane. Will YWS increase to that or will it stay at 5:1?
and How much does one review increase your stats by?
Mine is going up by less than 0.25 by review and I've done quite a few reviews lately.

425 Reviews

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:12 pm
Nate says...

A lot of people brought up that 10:1 is insane, so we'll cap it at 5:1. I can promise that it'll never go above that number. In fact, part of the reason it's happening over three months is to see how people adjust. If we find that people are having trouble adjusting, then we may stop at 4:1 or even 3:1.

Your review ratio is the number of reviews per literary work. You have 44 reviews and 16 literary works, which makes your ratio 2.75. If you do 6 reviews by the end of the day for a total of 50 reviews, your ratio will be 3.13 (rounded up from 3.125).

To help make matters easier, go to 'My YWS' and look at the 'Announcements' on the front page. It'll tell you how many reviews you need to make to have a 3:1 ratio. Right now, you only need to do four more reviews.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:25 pm
Kamas says...

Thanks Nate.
I didn't do the math sorry.
^____^ Thanks for all the help

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

I'm safe until November! Yay! I'll make an year on November, so xDD

- Kat

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:29 am
Emerson says...

Oooo I like this new thingy madooble, and the fact that the ratio will slowly go up. :D Great decision Nate et al!

(Also, I'm proud. This is my first post in months!)

I found it really amusing: my ration is 22 ish. Uh, what?)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:41 am
Jiggity says...

I'm at 6.75, ha. I definitely think 5:1 is too much and more than likely won't work. 3:1 is fine, shouldn't be too hard. 4 at a push.

5 is highly unlikely. So, I think anyway.

I always enjoyed the freedom that came with being able to post straight away. Most sites have the 2-1 or more hard-coded in. I mean, it's a good idea to do it but I'm just saying, it's what kept me here when I first joined. ^^

425 Reviews

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 pm
Nate says...

Thanks Omar for the input.

Part of the reason we're moving so gradually with this is so that we can step back and see how members are doing under it. At the moment, the number of members with a ratio of 3:1 or greater is steadily increasing, but there's been no big jump. I don't really expect a big jump until after October 1, but if there's still no big jump two weeks into October, then we'll have to re-evaluate. Same goes for when we move onto 4:1 and 5:1.

Also, members do get one freebie so they can still post one work without having done any reviews whatsoever.

I've also brought up an idea in the mod forum that was partially prompted by your post. I rather not discuss it here yet (I always bring up lots of ideas that never see the light of day), but I'll send you a PM about it.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:45 pm
Xunnamius says...

What about posts in the Advanced Critique forum (where Xunn hangs out :D), and posts like it. I usually have most of my review material contained within a word document (makes more sense!), attached to the post. The post in and of itself rarely if ever reaches 50 words...

Worst case scenario... I'd have to phone in some random comments, or, worse, copy and paste out-of-context text from the word document itself :(

[On an unrelated note: are we getting the whole "star" rating system and the actual rating system (PG, G, R, etc.) back? I have a few ideas on that front.]

425 Reviews

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:47 pm
Nate says...

The review to work ratio has been increased to 3:1. If you're wondering if your ratio is 3:1, or how many reviews you need to make to get there, just visit My YWS.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:04 pm
TalaPaulwic says...

I seriously dislike this. I have a short attention span, and I can't read to review when I have writers block. So you know, it's a good idea and all, you give some, so you get to post some.

Still I find it rather annoying and makes me want to post less.

425 Reviews

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Nate says...

TalaPaulwic wrote:I seriously dislike this. I have a short attention span, and I can't read to review when I have writers block. So you know, it's a good idea and all, you give some, so you get to post some.

Still I find it rather annoying and makes me want to post less.

So you want to post your work and not review whatsoever? There's a term for what you want to be: freeloader. There are web sites for that: writing.com and fictionpress.com both come to mind. If you find it annoying, the world wide web is an awfully big place.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

I like the idea, after all, this does probably mean I may be getting more reviews in the future.

I'd better go catch up now.

Later!

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:38 am
OverEasy says...

Lol looks like I need to catch my booty up. Sitting at a very lowley 2.4 or something like that.

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee