z

Young Writers Society

Quote Button Removed for Literary Works

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Over the past year or so, a craze has swept YWS in which one quotes the entire literary work then adds maybe one or two suggestions. We've all seen them, and most of us are probably guilty of it at one time or another (including myself), but it's typically bad form as well. For one, how is the author supposed to distinguish between their own material and your review? Some people use colors to help with that, but you're still forcing the author to wade through their own work just to read what you have to say.

For another, it's a crutch and a bad habit. People like giving line by line reviews because they're easy. But such reviews are also rarely helpful. More helpful to the author than a grammar suggestion is a explanation of why you liked or didn't like something. There's a reason why Clint Eastwood makes a point of asking people what they liked about "Gran Torino" when they tell him what a great movie it is.

So, the quote button is now gone in the literary works areas. HOWEVER, this is just the removal of a button. You can still use the quote bbcode, and the quote button in the "Post a reply" page still appears. So technically, you can still quote the entire work if you wish. You just have to use the bbcode instead of pressing the button. By the way, I do recognise that quoting an entire work for the purpose of reviewing it is legitimate. But, the people who can pull off such reviews probably know the quote bbcode already.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:09 am
View Likes
LookUpThere says...

Nate wrote:Over the past year or so, a craze has swept YWS in which one quotes the entire literary work then adds maybe one or two suggestions. We've all seen them, and most of us are probably guilty of it at one time or another (including myself), but it's typically bad form as well. For one, how is the author supposed to distinguish between their own material and your review Worse yet, it gets harder to give opinions on something because you don't want to add another paragraph? Some people use colors to help with that, but you're still forcing the author to wade through their own work just to read what you have to say Though I thought they just skipped until they found the red but... yeah.

For another, it's a crutch and a bad habit. People like giving line by line reviews because they're easy. But such reviews are also rarely helpful. More helpful to the author than a grammar suggestion is a explanation of why you liked or didn't like something. There's a reason why Clint Eastwood makes a point of asking people what they liked about "Gran Torino" when they tell him what a great movie it is.

So, the quote button is now gone in the literary works areas And I therefore feel more inclined to report posts :P. HOWEVER, this is just the removal of a button. You can still use the quote bbcode, and the quote button in the "Post a reply" page still appears. So technically, you can still quote the entire work if you wish. You just have to use the bbcode instead of pressing the button. By the way, I do recognise that quoting an entire work for the purpose of reviewing it is legitimate. But, the people who can pull off such reviews probably know the quote bbcode already.

I like this idea Nate. It's almost as awesome as the checklist. Did you say you were working on incorporating that into the 'Quick Reply' Section or do you think anybody using reply is probably gonna give an in-depth review anyway? That's two changes in less than a week, 2011s has had a good start.

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Calligraphy says...

This is awesome Nate. The people who have been on the site will know how to quote and the it will discourage quoting whole reviews. I have only seen new members do this and I always feel bad reporting them even if they haven't added a single word to the review. Now I wont because if they went to that much work, even if it is only a few seconds worth, they should be able to at least give their own opinion. Also, most people, I don't think, really care about the 'bla bla bla wrote' part of the quote anyway. So, for those who don't know the coding it wont really matter.

Thanks a million,

A. S.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 am
View Likes
ultraviolet says...

This is awesome. It's sad that it's come to this, but a good solution. It also gives incentive for better constructed reviews, and ones that involve actual opinions instead of simply nitpicking, which most people want from a reviewer.

And like TheNewHero said, 2011's off to a great start, Nate. Thanks for all you do for the site. :D
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 am
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

Cool. Sorry I reported this as a site bug, I missed this update. I understand why this has been implemented, but as everyone has said before me, people who do line-by-line reviews (like me) can still do so because the bbcode isn't hard to remember :)

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 am
Calligraphy says...

For some reason I can still quote Novels & Novellas as well as the replys to them. If this was done on purpose, I don't care I just wanted to make sure you knew.

Thanks,

A. S.

P.S. I still can't quote threads in the poetry or short-story forums. Well, without copy-and-pasting

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 am
View Likes
LookUpThere says...

I've already seen the effects. At least two users have still quoted... but not even with the code... just quotation marks. Ah well.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:33 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

TheNewHero wrote:I've already seen the effects. At least two users have still quoted... but not even with the code... just quotation marks. Ah well.

If you see that and it's pretty egregious, please report it. You can report any post by clicking the exclamation mark in the upper right hand corner of the post.

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela