z

Young Writers Society

Friends or Followers?

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:14 am
Lava says...

Nate wrote: It's like Facebook in that you can post stuff such as links and status updates.

Well, it'd be good as long as it was mildly based on the old Feeds thing. I mean, I don't think it'd be fun to have a bunch of notifications ping onto your screen. It would be nicer to just have a page where your friends' follwers' posts appear.
I don't want it ending up cluttered like Facebook.

Anyway, it is a good idea. *Yayz*
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:27 pm
Nate says...

I agree with you lava so don't worry!

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:19 pm
captain.classy says...

I'm with it and against it.

With it because I would love to know when every writer I love on the site posts something new.

Against it because I don't really think it's necessary, and that it might add to confusion of new and old members.

But I will support it! Can't wait to see it.

Classy

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 am
Emerson says...

I completely forgot we had a newsfeed on here. I guess that was part of the old YWS system? The things I forget! Jeez.

So this sounds like a fabulous idea, and as an old member (am I really?) I'd like to say that I would neither be confused or upset with its addition. It would make it a lot easier for me to see if people whom I love reading have posted anything new, or perhaps if certain people I particularly like helping out need help with something. It sounds like an all around wonderful idea and I cannot wait to see it in action.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:07 am
BigBadBear says...

I liked this until I started thinking about it. Would all of our friends currently added on our friend's list right now become our followers? Because what if I don't want some of my 'friends' to follow me? I mean, you said we have the choice to ignore them, but, anyway. I don't know if I'm for it right now.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:57 pm
LookUpThere says...

Thumbs-up for the newsfeed, but... well... there are people like me who have coffee for blood. Meaning I change my status every few hours. Won't that irritate the heck out of some people or does the old status get overwritten? Also I think you might have to add a whole new button (on the toolbar) for that otherwise the MY YWS page will look a bit... eh.

Fly On.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:11 am
Day says...

I definitely agree it is a much better idea to have followers than friends. With friends one of the two might feel like they have to review/read something of the others if they do so to them. In followers it would take away the "guilt" factor. If that made any sense?
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey