z

Young Writers Society

Big changes to topics

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:39 pm
Critiq says...

Not sure about the word counter (it taunts me), because spam is a definite problem. 250 characters is just too little for a fair review, and now people will surely try to cheat the system, if just minorly. But topic images are epic. Good job. Also, you count extraneous hits of the space bar as characters. Which seems a little easy to abuse.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:43 pm
Jon says...

*Stars*

I love the topic image!

Great, thanks!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:56 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

awesomesauce, Nate. (:

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:01 pm
Nate says...

Critiq wrote:Not sure about the word counter (it taunts me), because spam is a definite problem. 250 characters is just too little for a fair review, and now people will surely try to cheat the system, if just minorly. But topic images are epic. Good job. Also, you count extraneous hits of the space bar as characters. Which seems a little easy to abuse.

All good points. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to deal with the issue of review spam. However, if people report review spam when they see it, that should keep things under control. It is sometimes hard to spot it, but excessive punctuation and repeated spaces are a dead give away.

The 250 character requirement was chosen for a few reasons. One, it's enough space to explain why or why you didn't like something. Two, it's easy to reach, but not too easy. That way, it gets over the psychological limitation of thinking a review is just too hard to do. At the same time, set the character requirement too high, and you end up discouraging reviews.

To make up for this, there is the points system, and a 250 character review will only earn you 25 points. The maximum number of points is 100. For the moment, points don't mean anything besides bragging rights, but that'll change in the next couple months.

And as you noted, spaces do count as characters. This is something largely beyond my control. If I spent some time, I'm sure I could figure it out, but I much rather do things with one line of code (as it is now) than with several lines of code.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:46 am
Jiggity says...

Sweetness!

Also, and it may just be that I'm noticing this now but it's been around for a while, or whatever, but the little strip of info at the top of the page stating my current points and number of reviews is pretty damn awesome.

You rock.

Seriously.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:48 am
JabberHut says...

Jiggity wrote:Sweetness!

Also, and it may just be that I'm noticing this now but it's been around for a while, or whatever, but the little strip of info at the top of the page stating my current points and number of reviews is pretty damn awesome.

You rock.

Seriously.

I noticed the same thing just a few hours ago and fell in love.
I make my own policies.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:55 am
Rosendorn says...

I third falling in love with that strip of info.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:51 pm
Jennafina says...

Nate, it looks wonderful around here. :)

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:11 pm
Leja says...

Sweetness!

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:40 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Ummm, amazing as always, Fearless Leader.

Cal.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:20 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Demeter wrote:A particularly big thank you for the logout feature on top of every page!

Yes! I'm loving that one. Also the character count. Haha I like watching the numbers increase rapidly. Yeah, I know that sounds nerdish, but what else would you expect from one? ;)

Thank you Nate! :D

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler