Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:56 pm
LowKey says...

^^ Exactly.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:01 am
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

I'd just like to point out that many of us will be in the chat for a long time in November, due to NaNo. The word wars we have *really* are helpful.
Sorry 'bout that. NaNo makes everyone spend unhealthy amounts of time on the computer. :D

But I do think we need to limit the amount of time chat is open. I heard that a while ago on YWS, you had to have a certain amount of reviews to even access chat. What would you think of reinstating that?

Or perhaps parts of chat could remain open, while the Lounge stays closed. We could open different rooms for reviewing, writing help, etc, while the Lounge would be opened on weekends or once in awhile for fun.

Hmm. Sorry if these ideas are completely stupid. ^_^

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:44 am
Conrad Rice says...

The different rooms idea sounds all right. Though, enforcing why people were in those rooms, like, making sure they were only in there for certain things like reviewing, might be a bit hard, in my opinion. Also, limiting people going in there just to talk in the first place would be hard as well. It's a nice thought, but I personally can't see how it would be feasibly put into operation.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:18 pm
JabberHut says...

Opening different rooms while closing the Lounge seems kind of pointless. Those chatrooms would just turn into regular chatrooms, which is what Connie pointed out I believe. It would require a mod to keep things on track.

But that does bring up the point where if one mod opened the chat for members to access, one mod can't watch the Lounge and Chatroom A and Chatroom B. So I just suddenly ran out of ideas as to how to go about this. xD

And even if chat was closed this month, I have a sneaking suspicion it would be open a lot anyway. >.>
I make my own policies.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:11 am
LowKey says...

Jabbs -- really? :P

Perhaps it's my brain, but didn't Nate mention at some point the possibility of downgrading the chat to the last one? If so, then that would take care of the multiple rooms issue.

On the other hand, when it comes to NaNo, it's nice to have a room for the word wars apart from the main chat so that everyone else can talk and send sounds and do whatever they want without getting yelled at by the warring NaNoers. Same goes for the special events/chat games. But if I remember right, the old chat had those capabilities, too. So I think if you down grade it, it would work out pretty well with everything.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:56 pm
JabberHut says...

Dreamer wrote:Jabbs -- really? :P

Perhaps it's my brain, but didn't Nate mention at some point the possibility of downgrading the chat to the last one? If so, then that would take care of the multiple rooms issue.

On the other hand, when it comes to NaNo, it's nice to have a room for the word wars apart from the main chat so that everyone else can talk and send sounds and do whatever they want without getting yelled at by the warring NaNoers. Same goes for the special events/chat games. But if I remember right, the old chat had those capabilities, too. So I think if you down grade it, it would work out pretty well with everything.

Good point! I completely forgot about that. This being the case, making a new room was an available option for everyone though looked down upon. If I remember correctly anyway.
I make my own policies.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:58 pm
LowKey says...

^^ It was, but then it was changed to were it was either admins only or mods only (can't remember which, though I remember Mesh being asked a lot, lol) could open it. So you had to ask one of them to open a new room, and they needed to be in it with you while the room was open. So a down grade to the previous chat exactly as it was before we switched, except going back to needing mods to open it, would be fine, right?

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:21 pm
View Likes
Conrad Rice says...

I think so, Dreamer. If it could run and not lag, then it would probably work just fine.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:32 am
xLogan says...

I say close it. I sometimes get on here just to chat on people, which is dumb. I need to start posting more stories and working on them and also actually reviewing peoples work. Most of the time I say I'll get on here to edit my stories and add onto them but each time I get on the chat instead. I get addicted easily to things.

So, please, please, please close it. :) It would make it feel more like a community. And I agree with the clique things, I think there are a few cliques in that chat but I won't mention any names. Sure, some people will be mad if you close the chat but it'll stop people from getting on it during school, while trying to write a story and other stuff. I think it'll boost forum activity.

And you're right about the same people on it. I can guess atleast 2 — maybe 3 people that are on it without even looking because they are constantly on it. I'm all for closing it. :)

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang