z

Young Writers Society

Changes (October 26, 2009)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 pm
Nate says...

I just finished up making improvements here and there. See the list below for what changed!

The Navigation Menu

You'll notice under "Community" and "Read / Write" that you can't jump to individual categories like Poetry or General Discussion anymore. This is because subforums weren't showing up when jumping to individual categories (so for instance, you couldn't see Word Play under Randomness).

Also, the color of the drop-down menus has been changed so it's no so glaring. Lastly, the drop-down menus will now work in Opera.

Quick Mod Tools

This is a mod only thing, but mods can now easily lock topics. Just look for the Quick Mod Tools drop-down under the Jump To box.

Better Organization of Forum Indexes

I got rid of the big folder icons and replaced them with smaller images. This was to reduce the visual clutter and improve accessibility. Forum indexes should be easier to look at now.

Better Organization of Forums

If you go to any forum (e.g., Welcome, Dramatic Poetry), you'll notice that it looks subtly different. One difference is that the title of the forum is now displayed up top. The other difference is that the Topic Author part has been moved from its own column to underneath the topic. This should help out with accessibility.

Private Messages

If you go to the Message Center (aka, your private messages), you'll notice that it looks very different. In some ways, it's a step backwards. It's no longer using AJAX, which means that each time you click a link, the entire page refreshes. Also, the awesome search functionality is now gone (at least for the time being).

However, consider this a one step backwards but two steps forward kind of thing. You can now make up as many folders as you like, and even set up rules. So, you could make a rule that everything from me goes into the trash folder, and another rule that says everything from freakforchrist goes into the Sent From Heaven folder.

Plus, there were numerous security issues with the old private message system that I set up. Fortunately nothing happened, but there was a potential exploit someone could have used to bring down the site. So needless to say, it had to go.

Yet, I do hope to have that search functionality working again very soon.

Overall

All of these changes tonight were just meant to streamline certain portions of YWS, and to lessen visual clutter. It should be a little easier to navigate around the forums now.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:55 pm
Kamas says...

So. Much. More. Awesome.

*bows to Nate*

Thank you my good sir. :)

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 pm
Juniper says...

Naaate! I love it so much! Thank you! It's quite fantastic, and barely seems like a step backwards at all. :)

- June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:06 am
Bloo says...

Personally I don't liek the new look, just is weird to look at. I guess I'll get used to it after awhile. So I'll ride the wave and not break it.

But one question, what happened to the smilies D:

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:12 am
Writersdomain says...

It's wonderful, Nate. :) Like the new look. Thank you so much!

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 am
JabberHut says...

Omg, quick mod tools! <3
I make my own policies.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:33 am
Rosendorn says...

I got rid of the big folder icons and replaced them with smaller images. This was to reduce the visual clutter and improve accessibility. Forum indexes should be easier to look at now.

It seems that I'm not seeing these new images. The forum names are overlapping the folders.

I'm using Safari 4.0.3 on a Mac.

425 Reviews

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:39 am
Nate says...

Rosey ->> Hit refresh.

Bolt ->> Smilies are still there.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:50 am
zerkk says...

I love the new changes nate! :) Very nice work.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:06 am
Bloo says...

Oh...mine are off. Where would one go to turn them back on?

425 Reviews

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:52 pm
Nate says...

Bolt wrote:Oh...mine are off. Where would one go to turn them back on?

It's probably just turned off here in the Information Desk forum; other people have reported having that same problem. However, they should work just fine in any other forum.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:45 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Hooray! Nice to see the chat wall link in the drop down menu as well.
Attachments
supernate copy.jpg
supernate copy.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
— Bram Stoker