z

Young Writers Society

Review Ratios and You (reform!)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 pm
Nate says...

As everyone knows by now, the Young Writers Society has implemented two new policies in the past month that strongly impact the review system. These are:

1. The review ratio is now mandatory as opposed to honor system.
2. The review ratio has increased from 2:1 to 3:1.

At this point, I'm not quite sure if the review ratio will be increased any further. That depends on a lot, and I'll make a decision about it around October 20th.

But in any case, a lot of people are having trouble keeping to the 3:1 ratio. So far, no one at all has complained about it (except for one person), and I thank you for that.

However, in talking with a few people, I now understand the difficulty some are facing. For a long time, the required review ratio was 2:1. If you're an oldie who followed the honor system, you now find out that you have to do 50+ reviews just to catch up. I agree that this is unfair.

So, I'm fishing for ideas on what to do. I want to keep the review ratio required and at 3:1, but maybe there's a solution that'll please everyone.

Right now, what I'm thinking is that the 3:1 ratio could apply only from October 1st and going forward. This way, you're not punished for merely following the honor system in years past.

Are people for or against this? And does anybody have other ideas? Thanks!

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 pm
View Likes
Mr.Knightley says...

Nate wrote: Right now, what I'm thinking is that the 3:1 ratio could apply only from October 1st and going forward. This way, you're not punished for merely following the honor system in years past.

What do you mean by this? I'm not quite sure...

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:37 pm
Rosendorn says...

I think what Nate means is only having members who have joined after October 1st have to follow the 3:1 ratio, so older members who kept the 2:1 ratio on the honour system don't need to do fifty reviews to catch up before they can post anything.

I like the idea in principle, but in practice I'm not sure how that would go over. There have been a lot of blog posts and posts in Instructors saying we need to avoid dividing the site into "old members" and "new members." Putting in such an exception to the ratio rule would put a physical barrier between old members and new members that might not bode well for the site.

What I suggest is a twist on that: don't make the exception permanent. Let older members post work with a 2:1 ratio, but at the same time say they should go up to the new 3:1 ratio so there doesn't seem to be a hierarchy between old and new members.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:09 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

If I may? I think it would be that if an older member's ratio is currently 2:1, then won't be punished under the new system, but rather it's like they're starting over? So from here on out they have to have 3:1, but then don't have to catch up on what they've already done, so if they would need 50 reviews to catch up, they won't be penalized, long as they follow 3:1 from October 1st onward.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

425 Reviews

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:51 am
Nate says...

Bek is right.

The 3:1 ratio would count for everyone. However, only reviews and literary works since October 1st would be taken into account for the purpose of posting new works.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:07 am
Snoink says...

Nate wrote:Bek is right.

The 3:1 ratio would count for everyone. However, only reviews and literary works since October 1st would be taken into account for the purpose of posting new works.

Would that mean that the older members who did above and beyond the call of duty be penalized?

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining. I realize one group or another is going to get screwed. I just kind of like my statistic. It's very braggalicious. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:24 am
Prokaryote says...

I'd like to throw my support behind anything that will benefit me, and would also like to make note of my opposition towards any plan that might penalize me.

*pulls lever*

Pork

425 Reviews

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:32 am
Nate says...

Would that mean that the older members who did above and beyond the call of duty be penalized?

How would anyone be penalized? Review ratios wouldn't be reset. What I'm proposing is for the sole purpose of posting new literary works only. Reviews will not be reset to 0. Review ratios would not be reset to 0. Most of you would not notice anything different whatsoever.

I'm just going to go ahead and do it.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 am
Sureal says...

You're probably already half-way finished doing this already, but I'm gonna add my support anyway:

It is a Good Idea.
I wrote the above just for you.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Rydia says...

I like it, a new start for a new system. I think this will sway any of those who were unsure about the change in ratio before.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:16 am
PatriciaTina says...

I think that this is a good idea. Just one question though. How are you going to catch everyone who doesn't do the 3:1 ratio? What do we do if we see someone who hasn't done 3 review for every piece they post?

~ Trish

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:07 am
Kamas says...

*throws in two cents*

I like it. I won't effect me but I like it :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:03 am
Rydia says...

Chocolate: It will be hard-coded into the site so it will be literally impossible to post a piece in the writing forums without having made the right number of reviews first.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:36 pm
PatriciaTina says...

OK, this sounds great! I'm totally for it, as I said before. :D :elephant:

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:08 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Sounds like a plan to me. :)

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier