z

Young Writers Society

Changes to Ads

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 am
Nate says...

Hey all, I wanted to give you a heads up before I start fiddling around.

The redesign has been great in many respects, but one: advertising. For the first couple days, revenue was about the same as always. But for the past five days, it's dropped sharply. On one day, it was literally pennies (due to the Google Adsense Terms of Service, I'm prohibited from saying the exact amount).

I'm going to do two things: (1) change the color of the rectangular ad in the sidebar, which may be a welcome change anyways (the all gray is a bit drab), and (2) put a fell-length ad up top.

Number 2 will be the bigger change. The current distance between the top of the page and where the header begins is 39 pixels. This will be increased to 90 pixels so as to allow a full-length Google Ad to be placed there. This will be similar to the Google Ad that was displayed at the top of the old YWS.

I'll be doing this either tomorrow (Tuesday) or the next day (Wednesday), so this is just a heads up. Since it'll be at the very top, it should be relatively unobtrusive.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:48 am
Juniper says...

Sounds absolutely great, Nate!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 am
Elinor says...

Sounds good - YWS is getting better every day. :-)

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:48 pm
Young gun says...

Just wondering----if we click on the ads does YWS get paid?

Because if it does its a good idea to keep clicking and exiting.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:18 pm
Meshugenah says...

No and yes, Gun. I don't know how it works, exactly, but google has a way to track how many ads clicked on from each IP. So, if you're interested, click an ad. If you're not, don't click them just to get YWS money, because it can lead to no money being generated at all.

(and since I probably half butchered that, Nate, please correct me if I'm wrong!)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:29 pm
Sureal says...

If one person uber-clicks the ads, Google will know (because Google is all knowing), and so any further clicks from that person will no longer generate any revenue.

I think clicking once or twice a day should probably be okay.
I wrote the above just for you.

Saying Why-Double-you-Ehs is inversely like saying Ah-beh-Seh (Abc)... just say yewis it's cooler.
— Anonymous