A jolting rattle.
Knife to skin,
let the end begin.

Death is near,
hide your fear.
Come get your fill
of this destructive
Overkill.
"She looks to the stars and wishes upon one; then waits for love at the next rising sun" <3

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:28 am
Meshugenah says...

Hi, Lukan!

So, the big issue I have with this poem is how nothing connects. You have the storm image, and then you add in concrete details in the knife and blood that don't apparently link together to the storm. As a poet, you have to do more work in connecting your images and metaphors - a reader generally doesn't take two ideas and images and put them together in the way you're asking your audience. I'm not sure if this is partly written this way due to the rhyme or not, but if so, I'd recommend not using the rhyme scheme at all.

Anyway, in terms of style, I'm personally not a fan of a period at the end of each line - it's jarring and clunky. Instead, and never ever thought I'd say this, you need more words to fill this in! You have a basic structure, but not much substance to it. You have a few images you can play with, but lots more showing ("pouring rain," for example, instead of describing it somehow; or, even that as a greater description). For me, you can cut out the description in certain instances - if you're setting a scene and "pouring rain" is simply one aspect of it, fine, leave that as your description, but you must be focusing on something else. Here, you have "pouring rain" and it stands on its own. I don't think it works. You need to do something with the image. Same with "searing pain." It can work in certain contexts, but here I don't think it does.

I know this analogy doesn't quite work, but I think of phrases like the above as transitory, same as transitive verbs - they can't just stop, but need something to follow. They don't stand on their own.

Anyway, you have a basic structure in place, you just have to work with it a bit more. If you're not sure what I mean, just ask! Any other questions/comments, just let me know! G'luck with editing!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson