z

Young Writers Society

Joining a bad Community

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:18 pm
Phil says...

Spoiler! :
I did this poem as me an qara was doing a competition to quickly make a poem about joining a new school

I joined this school today.
and not once did someone say “Hey”
So there I lay.
On my bed at home.
weeping and hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

I went to school that very next day.
And guess what happened.
My school days were being patterned.
Do not search for talents.
Talents search for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:27 am
Snoink says...

Hey Phil! :)

So, this definitely seems quickly done! It was probably so quickly done because of the contest, actually. I don't know if you want to keep it as it is, just for record's sake or what, so I'll just make a couple of comments. ^^;;

First of all, poetry doesn't always have to rhyme. Rhyming is totally awesome, but you don't have to do it!

Next, if you do want to use a lot of rhyming, you might consider using some sort of metering. The poem is, in general, very lop-sided so that when you say the words, the poem doesn't really roll off the tip of your tongue. This kind of hurts the niceness of the rhymes. If you want to rhyme, consider metering.

This poem doesn't really finish very dramatically. When I read this poem, I wondered, "Is this all?" It kind of seemed to end at a cliffhanger where you didn't leave anything resolved. That's not necessarily a bad thing though... you'll notice that in Robert Frost's "Home Burial" he leaves it unresolved too. The difference here is that he sets up this really dramatic scene that leaves you on the seat of your chair when you finish the poem and wonder what will happened. Here, you didn't really set the scene up, so it just seems really random. So, next time when you write your poem, make sure that you stuff a lot of conflict in there. It will be much better!

Best of luck! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen