z

Young Writers Society

The Truth About My Reality

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:16 pm
creativityrules says...

Spoiler! :
I wrote this in five minutes, so feel free to rip it apart! Comments are greatly appreciated. :D

What is reality
that I let it define me?
Just concrete clumps of molecules
that tell me how to be me.
I'm much better off convincing myself
that misty dreams are my home,
and that there are friends all around me
when I'm really just alone.

How important is the truth
that I should waste my time
searching for it everywhere,
ignoring this life of mine?

Am I better off in the arms of a dream,
an invisible being that fades with the sun?
Is my imagination the only friend
that will want me when I'm gone?
Last edited by creativityrules on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 pm
SwallowedByInsanity says...

creativityrules wrote:Is my imagination the only friend
that will love me when I'm gone?

I just wanted to mention that since you said 'when i'm gone', you might consider changing 'love' to 'miss' because it'll flow better and make a tad more sense (:
I loved this poem! The lack of rhyme scheme gave it a very free verse feel and it didn't need rhymes and conformity to make it lovely. Keep writing!
Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote.

The insanity at my fingertips is not even slightly coherent.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:04 pm
catslikebooks2 says...

I like this poem. This poem is like gravel in my mind, it's choppy, it's abrasive, it's got a point to prove. What I really like how this poem takes the cliched living in your dreams/imagination and make it completely brand new with it's style. This is definitely a rough kind of poem, but that style fit perfectly! For five minutes, I'm impressed.
"You know how writers are... they create themselves as they create their work. Or perhaps they create their work in order to create themselves."-Orson Scott Card
Cats are awesome! So are books!so obviously; catslikebooks2!

94 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 94
Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 am
TheEstimableEelz says...

What is reality
that I let it define me?
Just concrete clumps of molecules
that tell me how to be me. I don't think you need the redundancy here, and the line sounds more organic and flowing this way
I'm much better off convincing myself
that misty dreams are my home,
and that there are friends all around me
when I'm really just alone.

(Line breaks manipulated in the next stanza- the double meaning of potentially wasting truth works well within your larger framework. And it was already kinda thoughtfully choppy, so... shorter lines don't really mess with the tone.)
How important is the truth
that I should waste
my time searching
for it everywhere, ignoring
this life of mine?

Am I better off in the arms of a dream,
an invisible being that fades with the sun?
Is my imagination the only friend
that will want
for me when I'm gone?
(I think, again, that the double meaning helps your serious, pondering thoughts in here. And the shorter lines to end give a nice sense of finality - perhaps the speaker has not definitively determined that which he/she set out to determine, but he/she has an ultimate realization to continue on with..)

Welp, I really liked this one, the speaker has a nice little journey, etc. Good work, keep writing!
Formerly 'ilyaeelz.' Others experiment with drugs. I experiment with punctuation and grammar.

"Research your own experiences for the truth, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own." - Bruce Lee

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain