Young Writers Society

One In The Mirror

Reviews: 1
Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:31 am
RabbitHeart says...

Looking at my refection
I am the one in the mirror
My life is what I aspire it to be
Look at your reflection, what do you see?
Is it what they tell you to be?
This is a call to my brothers and sisters.
I’ve been hiding for far too long.
So march with me if you believe there’s a chance for us
This is my deepest dream
To be who I want to be
I’m always searching for an easy path to walk upon.
I’m always seeking for a place where we can get away from all of this.
We’re searching for something more.
Something we cannot reach.
So here, I struggle with you, my brothers and sisters.

Spoiler! :
I wrote this when my father and I had an arguement about my brother. My brother really wants to be a artist, but my dad wants him to go into a medical field.
I wrote this explaining that we can be who we want to be, as long as we have someone to help us along the way. Now my brother can go to his art school, my dad as the supporter :)
“Midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark
For the straightforward pathway had been lost”
- Dante Alighieri, Inferno, Canto 1

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:38 am
murtuza says...

Inspiring and with such simple use of language. Great work writing this. I loved it :)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:12 am
wtbh says...

Wow, this is a super good poem. I'm definatly reading a lot more by you. I don't have anything against it. So, just keep doing what you do. :)

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 pm
somethingbeautiful says...

I am absolutely in love with the simplicity of your poem. I believe that you can express so much with little words and your poem does just that. It is able to show the desire to want to be heard through simple lines. Keep on writing, this was good.
-SomethingBeautiful.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:04 pm
Deathcurrent says...

Well done! I ask myself that question when I've just read something really philosophical. I truly like:

Is it what they tell you to be?

This has to be my favorite part:

This is my deepest dream
To be who I want to be
I’m always searching for an easy path to walk upon.

Well, what I said above is a lie. I think the whole poem is a favorite of mine, but that stood out to me. In your spoiler, that argument sounds familiar. Maybe because I've had it with my family as well. KEEP WRITING! :D
“Logic and practical information do not seem to apply here.” -- Spock from Star Trek

"There's power in stories. That's all history is: the best tales. The ones that last. Might as well be mine."-- Varric Tethras from Dragon Age II

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:58 pm
qaralynn says...

Hai there!
I want to start off with saying that I really like this poem! And congratulations on getting featured!! I don't have a lot of time to write this review *looks at ticking clock and yells*
So here is my nitpick (it's only one. woo!!)
Looking at my refection
I am the one in the mirror
My life is what I aspire it to be

"refection" in the first sentence should be "reflection" =)

Okay awesome job on this and I really loved this! I'm really sorry for this short review and I'm sorry if this isn't helpful.
But I really have to go now XD
Keep writing!!
-qaralynn-
"If they can't be with you at your worst, then they don't deserve to be with you at your best."
-Murtuza-

"Even though a ship won't sink at sea, it needs to be steered to get home."

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:52 pm
Dreamwalker says...

Oy vey, my dear. Oy vey.

I understand that this is the kind of topic that would inspire you and everyone around you, and the thought is such an admirable one, but it is so preachy. So overly moral, and so very basic. Self-worth is a wonderful thing and something in which we should find in ourselves, but poetry is an art form. And it should be art not only to the mind but to the tongue and to the heart. It should not simply explain what people 'should' feel about themselves or what they could if they do what you say. This is shallow, in that sense. Like a single rose rather than a bouquet of flowers. You have one single facet in an area that could have many wonderful facets.

But do not despair! This you did something very right, and that was using extended metaphor. You spoke of a mirror, yes? Now, why don't we take the ideology of a mirror and expand. Not merely speaking on reflection but the vanity of such an object, and the thought that an object could make or break someone. Could hurt or inspire someone. A mirror could be so many things and you could take this in so many different directions.

You started off with an interesting tone and then threw it out the window trying to be sentimental and inspiring. Poetry doesn't have to inspire, sweetheart. It has to make one feel. And feeling will be its own inspiration.

That's pretty much all I wanted to say, so I hope you don't mind me cutting out early!

~Walker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— Apple Inc.