Young Writers Society

Forevermore.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:35 am
FruityBickel says...

Walking on an open road
I stop;
this old dirt path stretches as far as the eye can see.
Nothing but gravel and dust,
that dries my eyes of any traces of tears.
Fog surrounds me, a deepening mist......
Where escapes a lonely,ringing scream.
Dying as it folds echoes and echoes upon itself...
My soul.
Like staring at the empty night sky.
When no stars are visible and nothing shines,
like my eyes. Barren of light.
Just nothing. Upon nothing. In emptiness that no one understands.
Silence and pain, bruises of the present and scars of the past.
That is me, forevermore.
Last edited by FruityBickel on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:30 am
HenPen says...

That was really good! It really describes how it is to feel hopeless and depressed! Yeah, so really good and keep writing, I love it!

TheCircleWriter wrote:Walking on an open road What about here, is there a pause? A full stop? A comma? Or did you mean to keep it like that?

HenPen x

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:37 am
View Likes
TwistedMuffins says...

Hm, okay this maybe a little tiny bit harsh, so I'm sorry. :/

Okay, first off, you didn't have a structure which was really needed here cause then it was a drag.

2. There weren't puntuation marks at some places, like for the first line.

3. At the beginning of the sentence, the first word's first letter needs to be capitalized, which it wasn't from the second paragraph onward.

4. For one sentence you put two fullstops. Over there only ones needed.

5. ''Just nothing. Upon nothing. In echoing...'' your poems last couple of lines went. Over here, you can use the next line as soon as the fullstop stops the sentence.

Well, that was all, well done!

Keep rhyming,
-JT
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:55 am
View Likes
Kit says...

I appreciate that you have Robert Frost in your signature, because this means that you know that Frost was, by and large, a stoic. I like that you combine the physical elements with the abstract, just as Frost did, but I think you maybe show too many of your cards at once.

"Walking on an open road
I stop,
this old dirt path stretches as far as the eye can see."

This is very real. I wouldn't mind more details of the road, or the sound of the feet scuffing in the gravel, the smell of the rising dirt against the damp. You don't need to go into huge detail but small observations can make it that much more alive.

"fog surrounds me, a deepening mist......"

I wasn't sure about the punctuation when I first read it, but then it reminds me of Cavino, he wrote once "smoke obscures the second paragraph" when describing the experience of reading a book and being immersed in the setting. It would be interesting to play around with punctuation that way.

"where rings a lonely scream;
dying as it folds echoes and echoes upon itself.."

I think it would be interesting if the scream were removed from its source, like you don't know if it's a girl or a man or an animal, and then the contrast of the initial sound piercing or raucous or thin or bellowing, to the death of it. I don't like 'echoes', you had 'folds in upon itself' and you had to qualify it with 'echoes'? That's a perfectly pretty metaphor, you don't need to spell it out with echoes, the image is clear.

"My soul.
Barren as the empty night sky."

Bahhhh. Too many redundancies. 'My soul' to begin with is melodramatic, and yes, this does have a whole 'Lady in White'/Victorian gothic vibe to it, but people generally use the word soul to be saccharine ("soulmate"), bombastically religious, or emo, and this poem is not quite any of those things. "Barren as the empty night sky" is redundant, 'barren', and 'empty' refer to the same thing. Compress. What word do you want them to focus on in this couplet?

"When no stars are visible and nothing shines,
like my eyes."

Nothing shines like your eyes shine or nothing shines like your eyes aren't shining? The line break obscures the meaning, clarify. These past four lines could be condensed into one, maybe two.

"Just nothing. Upon nothing. In echoeing emptiness that no one understands.
That is me, forevermore."

Nothing, echoing and emptiness is just repeating what you've already said without adding to it. Numbness. Time without meaning. Something. There is more to you, don't doubt it. But you don't just feel one thing at once, even when you're empty. That was the beautiful thing about Frost, simplicity, or starkness, or just basic physical thing, it still had different emotions bouncing off one another, different colours creating depth. He blended the mechanical with the emotional to create stronger metaphors, and you are half way there, maybe three quarters. Don't abandon your road.
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 am
abbie651382 says...

"fog surrounds me, a deepening mist......": I ain't really sure about the punctuation you used because I rarely see it in poems but maybe it'll be interesting if the punctuation go that way since I can't really think of an alternative for the sound goes that way.

I can really relate myself on your poem. I frequently feel like that: alone and oppressed.

"Just nothing. Upon nothing. In echoeing emptiness that no one understands.
That is me, forevermore.": I love these ending lines :)

Keep it up! (:Thumbs up!:)
Always wear a smile. You don't know people falling in love on you when you smile.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:30 am
Phoenix23 says...

Good work. I can relate myself to it. Being lost and alone.......... and knowing that there are no guiding stars along the way..... keep going :)
If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
- Shel Silverstein

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:35 pm
paintingtherain97 says...

It's not bad. I liked the way you were able to describe depression and the way it feels like it will never get better. I did see a lot of errors in grammar, though. You haven't capitalized the beginning of a few of your sentences, and there's a few issues with punctuation you should check out. Overall, I like it, though. Your word choice in the last stanza makes a strong ending, and the theme is good. Good work.
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:11 am
wasp92277 says...

this piece is very well written and i can feel every word written
this piece makes it very easy to relate to and as a writer that is one of the hardest things to accomplish

Keep up the good work and NEVER give up.
wasp92277

424 Reviews

Reviews: 424
Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 pm
Demoness says...

Haha, yeeh you must have been depressed, cause this was quite depressing. But in a really, really good way cause I loved it. Awesome imagery and brr.. I got the chills when I read it. I do though, think the structure is a bit off, the flow get's a bit choppy as the lines differ in lengths a bit too much :)
Other than that... This was just AMAZING!

Good Luck & Keep Writing

// Demoness
"Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice." - Robert Frost

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:28 am
lele253isme says...

This poem is captures your message, really. Good job!! the imagery wasn't bad, either!! My favorite part is

When no stars are visible and nothing shines,
like my eyes. Barren of light.

Because that part really stands out in this poem, to me. It really speaks, you know, like really speaks to the reader. Good job, keep writing poems!!

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:21 pm
Deanie says...

Very sad, descriptive and true poem.

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

I was flummoxed by fractious Franny's decision to abrogate analgesics for the moribund victims of the recent conflagration. Of course, to display histrionics was discretionary, but I did so anyways, implicating a friend in my drama to make the effect cumulative. I think a misanthrope would have a prosaic appellation, perhaps one related to autonomy and the rejection of anthropocentrism. I think they wouldn't think much of the prominence of watching the coagulation of tea to prognosticate future malevolent events, not even if those events were related to jurisprudence.
— Spearmint