Vipers.
Their words like fangs,
the hurt the venom they infuse upon me;
hating my very core.
Just because I'm--
Different. Not normal.
Freak.
Their taunts,
making my anger burn and my eyes come alive with flames.
I want to kick scream cry thrash
Fight.
But I know I can only beat them with intellect,
and to them intellect doesn't matter.
They know I am powerless,
because I am
Freak.
Nobody comes to my rescue. Even my own friends are my enemies.
Because I am
Freak.
Like they are all the same
I sneer.
Clones. Clones. Clones Clones Clones.
I am happy,
because
I
Am
Freak.

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:33 am
MasterGrieves says...

Awesome flow you got going on. You have very original ideas. I can understand this poem very well. In fact I have Aspergers Syndrome. In short, I often feel like an outsider, or that I am not wanted in anyone's presence. Do you have Aspergers Syndrome? If not, you have just made my day. Thank you so much for writing this.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 pm
JSon says...

This poem, while i think it is lacking in technical flair in some respect, actually really impressed me. I felt what you were trying to evoke, to an extent, and i think the frequent enjambment of the lines does well in imitating the urgency of the author's emotions .. at least that's what i think. The opening line, Vipers, that repeated image of "something out to get you" (for want of a better word, predator? no.) works. Like 567ajt said, the ideas are great.

I also like it because i can relate, not a fellow Asperger's myself, but the "I am Freak" suits the state of mind my condition often triggers. Keep writing :)

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:06 pm
FruityBickel says...

Thanks so much guys!! No, I don't have Asperger's , but I am indeed labeled "Freak" everywhere I go. This poem just came out of me when I was remembering all the bad times of my school year.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:35 pm
Hannah says...

Hey there!

I have a couple of things I'd like you to try. First of all, some of the sentence structure and punctuation is off in this poem. One way to remedy this is to, after you write the poem, take out all the line breaks and punctuate it as if it's prose (as much as you can). You can be creative with punctuation in poetry, but punctuating it as prose will help you sort it all out.

Secondly, consider how you connect to your audience in this piece. One thing that I think poetry is for is to help people who have never experienced something understand what it feels like. A lot of the comments on this piece already understand what you're feeling. And I'm sure I felt this way at some point, but don't any more. In what way can you bring the people who aren't currently experiencing these hurtful feelings RETURN to remembering what it felt like.

You have some potential in these lines:

the hurt the venom they infuse upon me;

and

Clones. Clones. Clones Clones Clones.

Mainly because they are some of the few that invoke IMAGERY. Imagery and comparison is essential to making your message accessible to others. By comparing something unfamiliar to something familiar, the person can start getting a better idea of what they didn't know before. So, okay, they don't necessarily have to be familiar with what a snake bite feels like, but they're familiar with physical pain, and by comparing that to your emotional pain, they're getting closer to it.

Think more about the snake bite. How does it work in the body? How does it affect you more than just hurting? What does it do?

The idea of clones is strong, too, because it evokes something naturally in the reader. CLONES can be scary or technologically exciting, but the word carries a lot of weight. Imagine how easy it would be to bring the reader closer if you expanded the idea of clones. It's an idea that you might want to experiment with.

Try these things out. Push farther into your poetry. Learn, learn, learn, and look around at what's in these forums. (:

Let me know if you have any questions about this review.

Hannah
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

134 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

This opened up so much insight for me. Thank you so much for explaining this. I might have to revise the poem in my word processor before making any changes here. Make sure I get it just the way I want it, y'know? Okay, now I Gotta Jet!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:14 am
Sandvich says...

Nice :3
I don't really review poems, so this review probably leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry in advance. :)
One thing I noticed is that you used "I am freak." a lot. Perhaps this is on purpose, but I personally think it would sound better if it read "I am a freak." I don't know anything about poetry though, so xD
The theme is something I can relate to, I used to get bullied a lot as well. I can say that the feelings in this are very realistic. It's also slightly depressing when the character's friends join in. I think you've created a nice mix of emotions. Well done. :3
The Fear Contest - Winners

1st Place - Hit the Black by mikeypro
2nd Place - Makeshift Calamity by jcipriano1
3rd Place - Ashes and Blood by HaydenSmith

"And so I arrive, like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!" - Dimentio

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Phoenix23 says...

I like the theme of the poem. Being different, being a "freak" is not an easy thing. But those who are should be proud because they took the "less traveled path". This requires a great amount of courage.
If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
- Shel Silverstein

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 pm
LiesOnLies says...

I'm wondering why they call you a freak? You mention something about intellect, but I don't think they call you a freak beause of that. Perhaps, it's the clothes you wear or some other reason..or reasons.

The poem itself is the typical "I'm mistreated because I'm different" theme and, at times, that can work very well in poetry. However, in this case, I didn't find this poem very strong in my opinion. As I mentioned before you really don't describe why they're calling you a freak and you also had some puncutation problems as well. Especially when you said "I am freak" which should be "I am a freak". If you're from a different country where English is a second language or not spoken much at all...then I can understeand why you would have wrote it like that.

There is some good parts to this poem...I'm not saying it sucks or anything. It just wasn't that impressive to me.

Good luck

134 Reviews

424 Reviews

Reviews: 424
Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:09 pm
Demoness says...

Oh this poem is so strong!!! I didn't think it flowed that well.. but somehow... and this isn't supposed to be able to happen - but I kind of liked that it didn't flow for once cause this poem.. it was suppose to be a bit choppy. BTW, I've watched "There are no emotions in space" it's a swedish movie, I hate swedish movies (I'm swedish) but I love this movie, It's my favorite movie - and it's about a boy who's got aspbergers and I just love him, and it facinates me. I don't know if aspbergers was the kinda freak you were thinking of when you wrote this - but with intellect stuff I kinda felt like it ^^ Anyhowss. Very many golden stars to you for this poem!!!! I see that my opinion on this differ to the previous speaker but I donno.. It was written with simple words, little imagery, no flow and awful structur and still I just can't not love it... You're messing with my head but all I can say is.. AMAZING!

Good Luck & Keep Writing

// Demoness
"Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice." - Robert Frost

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:52 pm
Deanie says...

I really like this poem. A very nice message, and true to many people. I like how you repeat the freak thing. It made your point really clear. And then at the end of the poem you turned it around and made the people taunting the person seem bad. But I also found this poem kind of hard to read because of the missing commas and full stops.

My corrections are in purple. I don't know if you'll agree with all of them. Also whenever you put freak you didn't use a before it. I don;t know if you did this purposely or not? I will put it in as a correction because it makes more sense that way, but you may disagree with me.

AlexInCircusland wrote:Vipers.
Their words like fangs,
the hurt, the venom that they infuse upon me;
hating my very core.
Just because I'm--Different.
Not normal.
A Freak.
Their taunts,
making my anger burn and my eyes come alive with flames.
I want to kick, scream, cry, thrash
Fight.
But I know I can only beat them with intellect,
and to them intellect doesn't matter.
They know I am powerless,
because I am
A Freak.
Nobody comes to my rescue. Even my own friends are my enemies.
Because I am
A Freak.
But they are all the same
I sneer.Clones. Clones. Clones. Clones. Clones.
I am happy,
because
I
Am
A
Freak.

But I really liked this poem. Great Job

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain