Image,
no pain,
no darkness,
and no cold.

Spoiler! :
Comment, Like and review.
Peace,
Snickerdooly
"Characters cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 am
AngusMacdonald says...

Snickerdooly,

That's great! Amazing poem, really really well written. The last stanza is just phenomenal, really. I love how you've invented this way of dealing with the pain of the cold and darkness, it's amazing. In fact, not just the last stanza is great, they all are!!

I really can't fault this poem, except for maybe the punctuation at the beginning of some lines. ( you need a capital letter) But otherwise, you are good. I like how this poem flows, and how it's not the usual ballad-like and smooth style. It's broken and sort of disconnected rhythm leads up to the climax of the final stanza, and despite the fact that none of the words rhyme, it feels as if it does. And that takes real skill.

Well done to you, great job!

Angus
We are the Music-makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams.

532 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 532
Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:13 pm
GeeLyria says...

Hi there, snickerdooly.

Very, very neat work. I love it. You managed to make it interesting and it flows pretty well. Your imperative sentences make this beautiful; you used all our senses and made us hook up into the poem. I actually have nothing to critique about this piece. It was lovely. Keep Writing! ^_^

~Solly<3
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

94 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 94
Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm
TheEstimableEelz says...

Well, this was okay.

Firstly! Points off for "make sure your prepared for the cold" - it should be "you're."
Now then...

I liked the format - consistency worked in your favor in this piece. The stanzas of advice made up mantras, which I think was a nice touch. Gave the whole thing some class, some high-brow leveling that makes it stand out more from the crowd.

Not sure if the last stanza is supposed to have "Imagine" instead of "Image" ... both can work with your meaning, but it's not very clear and that may bug readers.

Now, as for whether your poem lived up to your title - not really. Most of the language is general, not really putting down anything more specific that could be considered at all personal. This hurts the poem, as it gains a superficial gloss that is hard to wipe off and, for the reader, very bright. Add details, little things, however trivial they may seem. Those bits and pieces give the audience something to hold on to, they personalize the message without forcing it. This may best be put into an extension, or you could alternate the 'mantra' stanzas with intricate ones for the details and wingdings and whatnot.

All that said, this is a lovely piece and shows promise. Keep writing! =]
Formerly 'ilyaeelz.' Others experiment with drugs. I experiment with punctuation and grammar.

"Research your own experiences for the truth, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own." - Bruce Lee

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato