z

Young Writers Society

Think

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:41 pm
Cadi says...

When your eyes are stuck on the car in front, you're too tired to be driving.

The skin beneath your eyes is purple,
To match the top you're wearing.
The headache lasted from the night before.

It helps to check the mirrors when changing lanes at sixty em-pii-aich.

When you feel like this,
The whole world should move around you.
Which of them was up at three last night?

At roundabouts, you always check the right before you move.

Your eyes are out of focus,
Today's events don't register with your brain.
The thoughts that kept you up are more important.

When you're tired, it's easier to crash.
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:58 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Well... this is a very optimistic poem... Welcome to YWS by the way!
A nice piece of quick poetry, giving a warning to the danger of driving when you're sleepy... *yawn*
Regardless! I should get on with the review before I fall asleep myself!

I liked your use of metaphors and the way you set out your poem, it wasn't all over the place, like some prose poetry can get. The bluntness of the poem suited the topic, it doesn't sugarcoat things after all, falling asleep while driving is very dangerous, not like I'd know that... *shifty look left to right*

Anyway, yes! This was impressive, but I would definitely like to see something a bit longer. Well done though!

Happy Writings! DNX :J
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:30 pm
creativityrules says...

Hello there!

Welcome to YWS! It's such an awesome place and my writing has improved so much since I've been here. I hope that you like it as much as I do! If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask me! Now, on to the poem.

Very cool concept! Being tired and driving don't mix well at all; I've had to drive through the middle of the night with my mom quite a few times and I understand your inspiration. You've captured the drowsy feeling of midnight driving very well, and I appreciate that.

When your eyes are stuck on the car in front, you're too tired to be driving.

This is a very good opening line for this piece. The first sentence of any poem should interest the reader, and that's exactly what this did for me. Great job!

The skin beneath your eyes is purple
to match the top you're wearing.
The headache lasted from the night before.

My favorite part of this section is the first line. I really like the detail about the eyes being 'purple'. It paints a (don't mind my pun) colorful picture in my mind.

It helps to check the mirrors when changing lanes at sixty em-pii-aich.

This is a cool line. I like how you wrote the names of the letters the way that they sound. It almost feels groggy, and it replicates the way that your mind thinks when you're driving through the night.

When you feel like this,
The whole world should move around you.
Which of them was up at three last night?

I like the first two lines of this, but the third line I'm not so sure about. It's a tad confusing in that I'm not sure who the 'them' you're referring to actually is. Perhaps it's just me.

At
roundabouts, you always check the right before you move.

I'm skeptical about how this line contributes to the poem. If it were me, I would delete it entirely because I don't feel like it adds to the story or gives me anything to think about that the rest of the poem isn't able to. Remember that I'm just giving you my opinion about this; if you like this part of the poem, keep it. Your satisfaction with your writing is what's most important.

Your eyes are out of focus,
Today's events don't register with your brain.
The thoughts that kept you up are more important.

This is...okay. I guess I don't like it as much of the rest of the poem because it doesn't have the weary quality the rest of it has. In some ways, it almost feels like I'm reading a newspaper rather than a poem. Again, this is just my opinion.

When you're tired, it's easier to crash.

Awesome ending. Don't change a thing.

Great work! I look forward to reading more from you. Always keep writing!

-Rose
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

Some people file their [tax] returns inside of a dead fish.
— John Oliver