Wishing she was his for the keeping
Still, he stands
Love lost, and to never love again

-Marla

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:47 pm
artsy says...

First thing I need to point out: the vocabulary. Loved it! Not to many lengthy words that you need to use a dictionary for, but it is not limited to one syllable words. Now on to the actual text...

The want, the need for her in his gut

I complimented your wording, though it could use some improvement. I had to reread this because I actually pictured him wanting her in his gut. I understand now that it was an instinctive feeling of wanting her, like when people say "follow your gut", but not after rereading. Careful with your wording, it can cause reader to get out of the flow of reading, especially in abstract poetry.

The shiver of wind carried her
The scent of her drove through him

I do not have much to say about this, except that it seems as if a line or two is missing. Maybe you can add a line in that links the shiver of the wind that carried her and the scent of her that drove through him a little better. But I do not have any specifics suggestions.

Pumping angry through his veins

I did not quite comprehend this line very well. I know what you meant and the way you want the speaker to be perceived that the feeling of anger was spread throughout his entire body, and using the comparison of the heart pumping blood through his veins was smart. It seems the way you placed "angry" in this line seems....clumsy, for lack of a better word. Rewording it to something like -
Pumping angry malice through his veins

Love lost, and to never love again

I particularly enjoyed this line in the entire poem. If you somehow relate it to the classic phrase, "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." It would give it more depth into the meaning, but for originality-wise, very well done.

I did not find any grammatical errors that stuck out too bad for me to stop and harp on. However, if you added more punctuation (semicolons and periods...) it might look a little cleaner. But for this particular poem, the lack of periods at the end of complete verses/stanzas seems to make it flow better, at least in my opinion.

Very well done and well written! Keep up the good work. :]
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:44 am
kaylamarie004 says...

I love your creativity. Your ideas and choice of words to explain what your talking about was average but understandable. Slight improvements can make a big difference in writers.

I have to admit you lost me when you went off talking about the boy needing the girl "in his gut". I think you mean he needs her with him or something else i couldn't identify with your choice of vocabulary. I think you should work on keeping the reader interested in what you want to accomplish with your story or poem.
- Kayla

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
— Mark Twain