Young Writers Society

Thou Art is needed; Thou Art Shall Be There

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:54 am
FruityBickel says...

They meet in secret, to nurture forbidden love
Two hearts striving for another and beating as one
He aches to hold her; her softness in his arms...
She needs his strength, to keep her steady.
They find bliss in one another, heaven in the other's eyes...
To live together in peace, to love each other in harmony;
Their wish is granted.
Because two hearts are striving for another, aching to beat as one;
Can fight no more, and give in to the power of love.
Last edited by FruityBickel on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:07 am
JaneThermopolis says...

So overall I thought this poem was definitely meaningful.
However, I thought the 'thee's and 'thou's were kind of odd. The rest of poem is written in a more modern way, and the first and last lines really conflict with that. I also don't totally see a point in actually repeating the first line again. I would suggest just scraping it and leaving "Because two hearts are striving for another, aching to beat as one." It's a pretty short poem, so I suggest you make it as powerful as possible, since you are describing this couple's eternal bond.

Good job, keep writing!
-Jane
Apple of my soul,
Eats me whole,
Take one bite,
No delight,
Rotting hole.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:09 am
wonderland says...

Alright, so, this is short. Give it length; give us background on the character and the story. It's too short to get into, and there really is no premise. Make sure to give it emotion as well. Poems thrive off emotion and the readers want to feel everything your characters go through. Make sure to play with the reader’s sense, describing the feel, or the sound or the scent of things.
I’m a sucker for old-fashioned romantics like this, so I really enjoyed the lovers’ aspect of the story. Expand on it, though, or else it’s slightly cliché. What is your characters back story? Are they star-crossed lovers, destined to fall on love? Or did one originally hate the other?
Expand on it by expanding on the poem.

~Wickedwonder
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 am
Daisuki says...

Hmmm... I think this needs a bit more originality. It was a little cliché, although it has good potential for some strong emotions. I thought the title and that line itself is catchy, although the rest of the poem needs to be fitted for that language. The flow is just okay.

When you use ellipses (...) please stick to three. With more, it gives a very unprofessional feel, and annoys the heck out of me. Though it isn't about me - it's about making your poem better.

So, all in all, this is a good start. The ideas need expanding, the characters need a story, and some imagery would be nice.

Thanks for the read,
-Dai
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:18 pm
Demeter says...

Hi, Circle! I don't think I've read anything by you before :)

Wherever Thee be, Thou art shall be there;

I was a bit confused by this. Doesn't "thou art" mean "you are"? So now it would say "you are shall be there"...? Am I missing out on something?

Two hearts striving for another and beating as one
He aches to hold her; her softness in his arms.......

Way too many ellipses here. The correct usage is three (three dots make one ellipsis), as someone has already pointed out before me. Hearts beating as one is a rather used expression, so while it's all nice and romantic, I'd suggest replacing it with something a bit more original.

She needs his strength, to keep her steady.

Why is there a comma here? If you want to emphasise the pause, you could make "to keep her steady" have its own line, I think.

They find bliss in one another, heaven in the other's eyes........

Same thing here about the ellipses, if you will.

This is a sweet description of love that would most likely win the heart of anyone one could be courting, but I hate to say that as a poem it's quite clichéed. Most of the expressions you used (hearts beating as one, bliss, heaven in each other's eyes, etc.) have already been used, and that makes it more difficult for the reader to grasp the idea of a thoroughly original poem that has a unique feel to it. Granted, the expressions work -- that's why they're used so much. But you want to create something of your own here, right? Just think of new ways of describing the ordinary things we've used to. It gets easier and easier as you go.

Good luck! :)

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:57 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Hi, just a few general tips on poetry since Demsi seems to have given you some specific comments!

Old Poetry

Okay so by this I mean poetry that's written in an archaic form with thees and thous. Now don't get me wrong, this sort of poetry does have a place in modern society, but you have to treat it right. You have to research into it and learn when it's right to use a thou or a thee. There's a lot of rules on that sort of thing and you made a lot of mistakes here so what I'd suggest is doing some research, reading archaic poetry or novels or letters, or anything from that period of history. It will be slow going at first because like all rules, there's a lot of exceptions and some room for being liberal. But in the meantime, practise writing poetry in the modern tongue, a language I'm sure you're more familiar with :)

Ellipses

These are the ... things that you've been using. You should try to avoid those in poetry and if you must use them, make sure you keep it to three dots. An ellipse is always three dots long, okay? But dashes are prefered in poetry because they're sharper and more immediate. If you want a longer break than a dash, go onto another line. That's the poet's form of ellipse!

Well there you go, just thought a few poetry tips might be of some use to you. Good luck with your next venture!

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:11 pm
Deanie says...

I really liked this poem. It was nice and romantic and sweet. I liked the title a lot, it made me really want to read the poem. Using old english words like that for me means something magical. I don't know why but I started to like writing like that.

Couldn't see any mistakes. Looks perfect to me!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec