Ode to Aphrodite

3 posts
User avatar
Gender Female
Points 4825
Reviews 236
So this poem was written by Sappho, 2700 years ago, but I translated it from Ancient Greek for a school project. I know it's accurate to what the original says, but I wondered if you guys could help me make it a better English poem. That said, I can't make dramatic changes because I need to stay true to Sappho's words. Please help?


Immortal Aphrodite awash in changeful flowers
Child of Zeus, deceitful one, I beg of you,
Do not defeat with sorrows,
Lady, my heart.

But come here to me when, as before,
I heard sounds from afar,
And leaving your golden house,
You came to me

In your chariot, surrounded by
Swift small birds, winging ‘round the dark earth -
Rapid, whirling wings from heaven
Through the clear air-

Quickly they carried you, blessed one,
Carried your smiling undying face,
And you asked why I was troubled again,
Why I was invoking you,
What I most want to happen.

And I to you: with frenzied heart,
I want the woman who has betrayed me.
And you replied: Who, O Sappho,
Has done you wrong?

If she runs now I will make her pursue you
If she accepts no gifts I will make her give them
If she loves you not I will make her love you
Even if she would rather die.

Come to me now again, harshly but freeing,
Help me accomplish, free me from anxiety -
My soul yearns for victory but only you can provide -
I need you as my battle companion.
“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark




User avatar
Gender None specified
Points 30338
Reviews 560
I'm impressed with what you've done with this! So I'm afraid I can't offer too much critisism.

If anything, I would say tweak it a bit to help it flow easier. For example;
"Do not defeat with sorrows, / Lady, my heart."
This doesn't fully make sense, but if you swich the words round to something like 'Do not defear with sorrows / my heart, my lady.' Be aware of what phrases carry what impressions in english. For example 'lady' on its own is usually used by a child or a brat who doesn't know a womans name or have the manners to say 'miss.' Whereas 'my lady' is more commonly used as a polite term from a man to a woman.

Apart from that I can't really find much else. Good work :)
We were born to be amazing.




User avatar
Gender None specified
Points 72525
Reviews 1220
Help me accomplish, free me from anxiety -

Accomplish what? You might want to trade out "accomplish" for a more definite, for lack of a better word, word like "succeed", or check the implications of the original Greek and include it. What specifically is it implied that he would accomplish?

Otherwise, from what I can see, you did a pretty solid job. I really can't provide any more suggestions without seeing the literal translation, having a list of the connotations and allusions, and the original. Aside from what Tenyo pointed out and the "accomplish" bit, this read very smoothly and made sense.

I wish I could have been of more help.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR



Some people are hourglass shaped, some people are apple shaped, some people are pear shaped, some people are even bean pole shaped, but if we’re not careful we all become banana shaped. This is your gentle posture reminder.
— Ranger