z

Young Writers Society

Mordred

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:43 am
Leahweird says...

My father and I have a lot more in common than anyone cares to admit. I guess violence and deceit must run in the family. I wonder what Uther’s father was like?
Of course, my grandfather wouldn’t have been able to do anything if it wern't for that wretched wizard. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if he had left well enough alone. He is never blamed for any of his actions, though. Not the kings wise advisor.
My Aunt may have done many things, but she never hid what she was. That was really what got her ostracized.
I haven't shred of magical talent myself. Maybe if I had she and I could have retired to our sorceries and ignored what was happening in real life. Still, I can’t really bring myself to care. I have little respect for wizards, that one in particular.
He gets away with everything because he is “an instrument of fate”. That’s the worst part of it. We can spend our entire lives fighting destiny, but he not only blindly accepts it, he helps it along! Well it certainly didn’t help him in the end, did it? The old goat got what he deserved. I wish Vivian well.
Anyway. My father.
He is supposed to be such a great leader, but he wheedled his way into the power the same way anyone else would. Nothing was different, except that his knights could roam around the country side, doing whatever they wished, while he hid up on his pedestal.
Meanwhile I had worse than nothing, simply because I didn’t have fortune on my side. Instead I was blessed with a mother who couldn’t even look at me. I was a memory of her ultimate shame. Her husband despised me simply because it was so obvious that I was not one of his progeny.
My brothers were all one of a kind: great hearty oafs with no greater ambition than to lord it over the weak and fawn over the people with real power. They were all part of my real fathers inner circle, except for Agravain. He always found himself not quite strong or brave or crafty enough. He was the only one who sympathized with me even slightly.
I would have met my end at the tender mercies of my mother’s family, or one of the other factions ready and willing to have me destroyed, if my aunt had not spirited me away. I will always thank her for that at least. She wasn’t doing it out of any particular love for me though. She only wanted a weapon to use against my father. I was the perfect embodiment of her malice towards him for destroying her life.
His court was so utterly different from what I was accustomed to. I was able to see past the facade immediately. Behind the gaiety and finery lay a den of inequity. What I saw was my father surrounded by his supposedly loyal followers, most of whom were related to him in one way or another. These were men busying themselves drinking and carousing, hiding from the wrongs they had committed when they bothered to acknowledge them. Either that, or they were out in the countryside picking fights with total strangers, despoiling maidens, and generally accosting the populace. They were particularly cruel to the fair folk, completely ignoring the fact that the most depraved practitioner of dark magic was still living among them. It seems ridiculous to me that anyone could mistake that for a utopia.
They might have gotten away with this indefinitely if they didn't have their imperative quest. They would have destroyed their little group without any intervention from me if it weren’t for Galahad.
He was slightly younger than me, a veritable scion of youthful beauty. As fair as I was dark. I did not harbor my usual apathy towards him, though. I once thought I would be disgusted by him. Everyone knew who his father was and that man was one of my least favorite people. He seemed to have everything handed to him. He was given wealth and an excellent education, and he was trained to fight by the masters. He was given a heroes welcome at court. I, on the other hand, had had to fight for everything, particularly my place in the pecking order, yet none of these things seemed to matter to him. But I saw the way he looked at his father, a man who refused to have anything to do with the son who idolized him and craved his approval, because the boy was evidence of his complete and utter inability to keep a promise to anyone.
Galahad was ignored by the only person who he wanted attention from. Even his mother neglected to love him enough to save her own life. So I felt an odd sort of kinship with him, even though we had so little to do with each other.
I always admired how he was always able to stay so good and so pure, even after those virtues got him killed for the sake of their indispensable mission. When Galahad died, so did the last shred of virtue in their supposedly great city.
There are those who would blame me for the end of this perfect age. I merely exposed the rotted roots of the things that had nothing to do with me. If anyone should be held responsible they should look to the queen. Or perhaps her lover, Galahads illustrious father.
I couldn’t stand the hypocrisy. For years I watched them cavorting with no one appearing to care or pay any attention because of who they were. It wasn’t fair. More than that, it wasn’t right. So I gathered the few allies I had and those I could trick into helping me and I exposed them. It must have been a blow to my father to finally be forced to see the truth.
Agravain was killed in the proceedings. I suppose it was partially my fault, but no one else seemed to care. He was the only one of my mother’s brood to have any worth. Now that he was gone there was nothing for me to do but bring the whole thing crashing down.
It still might have been resolved if my father had felt anything for me other than fear and loathing, but I was the result of his greatest sins. I was also proof that he betrayed his wife, not that she hadn’t done worse to him.
I should have been his heir. I was the closest thing he had to one. If fate hadn’t declared my life a tragedy maybe I would have been born to him properly, and given a real chance to fix things. As it stands we were doomed before it even began. My father had committed atrocities trying to get rid of me. Maybe he thought that if I was gone once and for all that he could salvage his life, or at least make it mean something. It wasn’t hard for him really. I am not really a fighter. All I had to protect me was my own persistence.
Nine times he hurt me, with a sword that was famed for ensuring death after even the most superficial of wounds. Finally he resorted to using an ordinary spear. I was his dark shadow. I was what he so easily could have become if he hadn’t been so obscenely lucky. Yet he was prepared to vanquish me like some sort of ghost or serpent without a second thought.
That was the final insult. I couldn't let hi, just walk away after smiting his own kin.
So I made sure that his bloodline would end with me, and I took us both to the underworld.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 am
View Likes
IdEaBoNe says...

Hello Leah!

Well, to begin with, I thought you're fantasy story made a nice work on drawing a pretty intellectual and touchy plot. I'm a big fan of the medieval fantasy genre and I adored this long piece. But, only praise won't take you all the way now, will it. So, on for the Ugly Critic version:

That was really what got her ostracized.Here, the word what is unecessary
haven't shred of off magical talent myself.
I'd say you'd better take care of the spellings and use of unnececssary articles while writing as this disruots the flow in the readers mind.
I have little respect for wizards, that one in particular.
Here, 'that one in particular' should have come after a fullstop. Consider the dramatic pauses and and gaps the charachter takes when they think in their mind. Of course, none of us think at a strecth when we think to ourselves. These gaps give the reader some time to think and 'feel' your main charcahter.

Another thing you should consider is the amoiunt of high-class lexis that you use. If you decorate your writing with too many ornamented words, the readers aren't going to be able to grasp the text. It repels them, since everything is just too darn difficult to understand, as in the line
I was the perfect embodiment of her malice towards him for destroying her life
Use simple words and the text might turn out to be greater than that with too many ornamented words.

I've also noticed, you giving too many unecessary details, clouding th minds of the reader. Useless details don't add to the story's interest, it subtracts the likelihood of your plot to be engraved in the readers mind. I think you're story has avery strong and worthful plot-line. Coinsider cutting down on too much details and over use of hard words.

Keep writing these fantabulous pieces!

---IdEa
This world is a dream,
Only the one who sleeps considers it real.
Then death comes like dawn,
And you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.
–Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:46 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Hi Leah.

I'd like to start off in saying that I disagree with the reviewer before me saying that you should use simpler words. There is a line between detail and too much and detail and too little. Personally, I think you've hit it out of the game. You're very eloquent - have a way with words - and everything seems to fit together perfectly like a really elaborate jigsaw puzzle.

However, I'm confused about your facts relating to Arthurian legend and more specifically Galahad. I've read tons about Arthurian legend since I'm rather interested and passionate about it. The thing you say about Galahad is that his mother abandoned him to save her own life. That might be correct in another reference, but I've read numerous research papers and as-close-to-accurate novels and I have discovered that Galahad was, in fact, Morgaine (also known as Elaine or Morgan le Fay or Morgana) and Lancelot's illegitimate son. Morgaine thus proceeded to hand Galahad over to the Morgause (or Anna), her half-sister. She only did this because she felt disgraced for what she had done because Lancelot was her friend Elaine's (the Lady of Shalott) husband. She did not do this to save her life. She loved Galahad but perhaps not as a mother who in very close would. Nonetheless, she does love him.

That's the only major issue I had with this piece.

Second off, I think you could have really done more with this. It's a lot shorter than its full potential: Mordred's story alone is so complex and intriguing if you do the right research and know where to look. It felt like you were more using Mordred as a POV but it really ended up being almost objective in its point of view. As a reader, people want facts, things to question, to ponder. They want description and nothing extraordinarily like how this felt. It's like you just dashed it off with only some thought. We want details! Yes, we do! If you're struggling for information, please don't refer to Wikipedia. Half the time, the information comes from a misinformed source. When writing about something so complex and entangled, refer to numerous different articles, anthologies, textbooks and novels. I suggest The Mists ofAvalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a terrific novel, albeit a bit long and tedious. But I enjoyed it very much and so I think you might as well.

Yours,
Lavvie

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

136 Reviews

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am
View Likes
Leahweird says...

Thank you both for your comments. This piece was practically just freewriting for me. I've been really busy with university lately, so short one-offs like this are really all I've been producing. However, I do want to get more serious writing done, and a story from Mordred's point of view has been much on my mind lately. Simply seeing people react favourably to the preliminary round suggests I might find on audience, so look out for that in the future!

I don't think there is a correct version of the king arthur story. People have been doing their own thing with it since it first started showing up hundreds of years ago! I ussually use the medieval romance liturature for a source though, which confuses the hell out of a lot of people.

Looks like I wasn't particulary careful with my words when I was talking about galahad. What I meant to say about his mother is that she killed herself over love of Lancelot, even though it meant leaving Galahad without a mother. Mordred thinks she should have sucked it up and kept going for her sons sake (note that this is his opinion not mine). In this version "The lady of shallot" elaine is Galahads mother, although there are at least three elaines in the Arthur canon. There's another random elain that has a relationship with Lancelot, and a third corwall sister who never actually does anything (the other two sisters are Morgan and Morgause respectivly).

I really love reading books with their own twist on Arthurian legend. The Mists of Avalon is one of my favourites. If my writing can come anywhere close I will be honoured. Thanks again!

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:21 am
Butterfly18 says...

Love the opening sentences. :) Grabbed me instantly.

I like the characters voice.

The one thing that bugged me though, there wasn't any dialogue. I can only read walls of writing for so long without dialogue to break it up and catapult it forward.

But other than that, I like it. :)

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 pm
Bryn says...

Well not knowing much about Arthur and all these things you're writing about. I can give a review primarily on content and just that! :) Being a reader with no such background in medieval things the second sentences traps me, I want to read more. I read on and then something about magic pops up:
I haven't shred of magical talent myself.
I found myself looking for some kinda of magic something to be going on in your story, but I didn't find any.

Of course, my grandfather wouldn’t have been able to do anything if it weren't for that wretched wizard.

I couldn't let him, just walk away after smiting his own kin.

Minor spelling errors, they were just bugging me.

After the second paragraph the only thing that had me confused was all the characters. It is a lot to introduce into a short story. However, if you give the reader a specific things about the character they can use to remember them, that you can bring up in your story time to time may be able to help with any confusion.

For example:

Sally is cool. Ben is cool. Fred is cool. Caleb with the red bandana is cool.

Really mediocre example but you get the point. Are you going to remember Fred, Sally, or Ben? Or are you going to remember Caleb with his red bandana?

Now to the part I like;

Based purely on content you short here was really good! I loved the twist at the end with both characters dying, very clever. I got attached to your main character and was sad to see him go, knowing he could have been a great leader. So all-in-all good story, I enjoyed it, and if you happen to expand it I would love to read.

-Bryn
Courage is grace under pressure.-Ernest Hemingway
Have the courage to say no.
Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right.-Clement
Integrity is what we do, what we say, and what we say we do.

136 Reviews

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 pm
Leahweird says...

Bryn, I've just started working on a larger work that will hopefully have the same feel as this but with more actual content, so your comments are espiecially appreciated.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin