z

Young Writers Society

The curse of Medusa

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat May 28, 2011 9:16 pm
Mongererofspoons says...

This VERY short piece is something I wrote for English lesson activity in which I had to make up a story using only a metal statue of a non-descript man as "inspiration"
------------------------

Chewing monotonously, the boar was quietly eating by the stream. But it was not alone. A human was hiding the bushes nearby, armed with a sword, choosing the right moment to strike. When the beast started to lap up water from the stream, Theo saw his chance. Creeping up to the defenceless animal, he raised his sword…

CRACK! A twig snapped underfoot. The startled boar ran for its life, and he gave chase. “That creature certainly has legs,” the amateur hunter thought to himself. Fleeing along a trail, the boar was squealing, warning the other members of its species of the impeding threat. Rain started to fall. Slowly cutting his path, Theo lost his prey. Near blind because of the sheer amount of branches, he became disorientated, fumbling through the vegetation, desperate for a way out.

Finally after fifteen minutes, he saw an entrance to a cave, “shelter!” he thought to himself, gasping for breath. He could make out a figure inside the cave, a human, albeit a human with strangely remarkable hair which he could tell even from here was out of place for a traveller. The rain was coming down hard. He mustered up all his remaining energy sprinting into the mouth of the cave in order to escape the cold of the rain. Getting closer to the mysterious stranger, he called out. “Hello?” he yelled, still exhausted. He leaned against the wall for support, squinting through the darkness…
Finally, the figure responded. It slivered across the cave, and stepped out of the shadows. Theo screamed. Well, he would of if he could scream with a throat made of bronze. His face is still making that expression today, if you were to find the same cave, now lined with innumerable statues of man and beast, petrified for eternity mid-scream.
Last edited by Mongererofspoons on Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Sat May 28, 2011 9:27 pm
freewritersavvy says...

That was... unique. It painted quite an image in my head. I like it but now I have questions! (Translation: Great ending!)

Keep Writing,
~FW~
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat May 28, 2011 11:56 pm
halogirl4197 says...

Interesting description. I actually kinda of liked it. You're pretty good, impressive!
Remember me for who I am, Not for who I was

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun May 29, 2011 12:35 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha! This was pretty awesome. I liked your sense of pacing and all the action in the story. In fact, it reads more like an action adventure story than a fantasy story, which (in my not-so humble opinion) makes it tons better. It made it really fun to read. :)

Are you thinking about fleshing this story out, or are you just posting it for fun? If you want to flesh it out... well.. I have some ideas for you! :D

First of all, I have been reading toooons of Greek literature lately, so I am quite spoiled. Anyway, I think you can describe the hunt a little bit better! In Homer's Odyssesy, there is a story within the story of Odysseus's first hunt, which is after a boar (and it gives him that very noticeable scar on his leg which his nurse notices... spoiler!) Anyway, the story is quite good -- heck, the whole book is excellent -- so if you haven't read that, I really recommend it!

Next thing is, get your weapons right! Swords generally are a bad idea to hunt boars with. In fact, the Greeks generally did not prefer using swords for hunting. They liked spears, arrows, and javelins. So, definitely tweak that. Amateur hunter or not, he would probably know better than to use a sword for hunting boar! Boars are really, really mean... in fact, I saw one thing in this book about pigs (yes, I'm obsessed) where it said that hunting tigers was more easy than hunting boars. Not that it can't be done, of course, but pigs are very clever creatures. :D

And yes, I am totally biased...

Anyway, the one last thing was I would really like a better description of Medusa! I mean, you have this big talk about the hunt, and then he sees Medusa and he turns to bronze (shouldn't he just turn to stone? Whatever...). But, the thing is that I think you can at the very minimum describe the snakes coming out of her head! A shadow, by itself, isn't too frightening, but a gorgon with snakes coming out of her head?! I would totally wet my pants. So, just take some time and descibe that!

Best of luck! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun May 29, 2011 12:36 am
Sierra says...

I like it :) Very haunting. I especially loved the ending. I would like to see more emotion, more feeling. When he's running, how does he feel? Is he terrified? What does running for so long feel like?
“That creature certainly has legs,” the amateur hunter thought to himself.
Usually thoughts are in italics. I think you might want to do that, to distinguish the difference between thoughts and speech better.
Near blind because of the sheer amount of branches, he became disorientated, fumbling through the vegetation, desperate for a way out.
I really like this sentence. You could probably get another sentence out of this at least.
Sshelter!”
Capitalize!!!

Hope this helped some,
Sierra
What a shame,
We used to be such fragile broken things.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun May 29, 2011 9:31 pm
silentpages says...

Question: What exactly is the boar eating?

""That creature certainly has legs,” the amateur hunter thought to himself" *pictures a boar without legs and giggles* Most animals have legs. I understand what you mean, but maybe find a better way to word it?

" the impeding threat" Did you mean impending, as in 'impending doom/demise/danger'?

"It slivered across the cave" Slithered?

Not bad, but I'd like a little more emotion. Burrow a little deeper into the MC's head... Although you do have a narrator kind of figure who comes in at the end. I'm not sure how you'd best do that.

Does her gaze affect animals, too? *pictures him stumbling onto a golden boar just before he finds the cave*. Just an idea to think about, if you were interested in making it longer. That said, I think this is very good for its length. Pretty well-written, just a little polishing that could maybe be done.

There were a couple of typos/misspellings that I noticed, as well as a couple words that I think were supposed to be different-but-similar words. Did you trust spell checker with this? Because spell checker is a sneaky little gadget, not always entirely trustworthy. Be sure to double check things. :)

Nice job with this. Keep writing. ^^
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 am
Octave says...

Chewing monotonously I'm not sure if it's possible to chew monotonously. oo, the boar was quietly Too many adverbs in just one sentence. It doesn't really bode well for the rest of the piece. eating by the stream. But it was not alone. A human was hiding the bushes nearby, armed with a sword, choosing the right moment to strike. When the beast started to lap up water from the stream, Theo saw his chance. Creeping up to the defenceless animal, he raised his sword… No. ._. There are other ways to achieve drama without abusing the ellipsis. The dramatic ellipsis is laughable, to be honest.

CRACK! A twig snapped underfoot. The startled boar ran for its life, and he Careful with your antecedents, because he here can just as easily mean the boar. gave chase. “That creature certainly has legs,” Sounds kinda stiff. the amateur hunter thoughtto himself. Fleeing along a trail, the boar was squealing, warning the other members of its species of the impeding threat. Rain started to fall. You'll want to be careful of using the words "beginning" and "started". They slow down prose. Slowly cutting his path, Theo lost his prey. Adverbs don't really help the prose either. Near blind because of the sheer amount of branches, You might want to clarify because that's easily mistaken. The branches could have poked him blind. he became disorientated, fumbling through the vegetation, desperate for a way out.

Finally, after fifteen minutes, he saw an entrance to a cave.

Shelter!” he thoughtto himself You can't really think to anyone else unless you're telepathic and since you haven't mentioned any powers, I'm going to figure he's part of the rule and not the exception., gasping for breath. He could make out a figure inside the cave, a human, albeit a human with strangely remarkable hair which he could tell even from here was out of place for a traveller. Rephrase. That was difficult to get through. "Out of place for a traveler" ought to be close to remarkable hair. And I'm not sure why frazzled hair is remarkable? Last I heard, traveling in the old days was serious business. The rain was coming down hard. He Here, he refers to the traveler. mustered up all his remaining energy sprinting into the mouth of the cave in order to escape the cold of the rain. Getting closer to the mysterious stranger, Theo (antecedents) called out.

“Hello?” he yelled, still exhausted. He leaned against the wall for support, squinting through the darkness. Again. Get rid of dramatic ellipses. They don't really help your cause. I'm sure you can do better.

Finally, the figure responded. It slithered across the cave, and stepped out of the shadows. Theo screamed. Well, he would have if he could scream with a throat made of bronze. But then a bronze man couldn't really scream even if he had a real throat. You'd want to change that, I think. His face is still making that expression today, if you were to find the same cave, now lined with innumerable statues of man and beast, petrified for eternity mid-scream. So Theo is the first, because he didn't see any other bronze statues?

Apart from the constant use of ellipses for drama, the biggest problem I can see with your prose is your affinity for the be verbs. You always use them. The rain was coming down, the boar was squealing, etc. You'll want to revise them so they won't contain the be-verbs anymore. Why? Because all the forms of be slow down your prose. Let me give you an example.

The boar was squealing.

VS

The boar squealed.

Note how much stronger the second sentence is. It has more immediacy to it than the first one could ever hope to muster. Cutting out the forms of be from your work is a surefire way to make the prose tighter. Go through the whole thing again and look for "was" or "were" and, if possible, revise the sentence to avoid using it. (But don't bend over backwards trying to never use "was" or "were". oo")

So the thing with this is that it doesn't have much characterization. In effect, I didn't really have a reaction at the end. I was just all, "Meh." I don't care enough for the character because I don't really see him as a person as much as I see him as a doll you're acting out a story with. Try to make him more real by giving him a personality aside from the whole, "He's a hunter," shebang. The little things are as important as the big ones when you're writing a story like this, so every tiny action helps in characterization. Maybe you can also throw in more thoughts to show what kind of guy he is.

To scare the reader (which I think you were trying to do at the end), you have to give an impending sense of doom or inevitability. You have to make the reader feel sort of sick as he or she reads through it and realizes that it's not going to end very well. To do this, you use certain words that give off that kind of atmosphere.

Lastly, you have a lot of crutch phrases. Crutch phrases are phrases you use again and again, although you also seem to like the word "Finally". You'll want to go through this piece again and look out for any phrases you tend to repeat. Revise them.

Anyway, I hope this helped! PM me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Octave
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. I'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus