z

Young Writers Society

The Arkford Sleepidemic!

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm
carbonCore says...

Arkford was an industrial town, no doubt about it. Below the noxious fog enveloping the town, one could sometimes see older brick smokestacks judgmentally pointing at the sky, their parent factories with vents for windows, and, on a lucky and very bright day, the toxic rainbow sparkle of the river Ark.

One day (it would be improper to say "one sunny day" in the manner of most story beginnings, as almost every day bathed the city in a dim orange glow regardless of the Sun's intensity), the Chemist awoke late, and only thanks to the bellowing of an early tanker from the ports did he rouse from his dream at all. He dreamed of a desert - his childhood fascination, what with its weird cacti and vicious scorpions and Arabian caravans and all - wherein he had been a soldier ant fighting brave battles with his brethren against their eternal enemy, the Desert Anting Gnat. And he had just lost half of his brothers to the beast when, through his dream, he heard the whistle of the morning commuter train. So odd, so out of place appeared the sound, that he immediately realized: he must be dreaming!

Wasting little time on excitement, he recalled that there was still the matter of the villainous Anting Gnat threatening the hive. A shadow of a thought later, he had grown himself to ten times his size, and easily snapped the insect in half, throwing the little corpse into a puddle. The slain ant army awoke from their death-rest, and sang a song of war to the Chemist as he grew butterfly wings and took to the skies. Had it not been for the roar of the fog horn shattering the blessed illusion to pieces, he would spend the rest of the day in his dream, leading his war tribe to become too fearsome for any Anting Gnat to attack.

But now, the mundane world called back for him. His early morning ritual was short - a quick splash of water unto the face, a short fight for superiority with the work clothes, and a customary re-incantation of the Periodic Table. Donning his overcoat and flushing remaining sleep away with half a cup of yesterday's coffee, he dove into the busy morning crowd.

The Chemist knew that this specific Friday will painfully mark itself in the otherwise bland week, hardly distinguishable from all the others. In addition to doing his normal work of brewing and mixing various chemical concoctions for the industry giant BOSS AND SONS CO., as well as engaging in his slightly less normal hobby of imbibing small samples thereof, he knew that in the murky depths of his laboratory, a hideous toad of paperwork slouching upon his desk had to be disposed of (though what he did not know - and this question tormented him with the persistence and ferocity of a mediaeval witch hunter - was whether the Desert Anting Gnat indeed existed outside of his dreams).

As usual, the conservatively dressed Receptionist chattered with the phone about "the kids these days" and "the weather these days" and "the BOSS these days", paying nil regard to the rather sizeable crowd of would-be workers clumping in the hallway. When the grumbling clearance-machine vomited up a clearance-certificate, she'd hiss once or twice at the congregation, allowing one or two people to slip by (the number of luck-struck slippers-by was therefore directly and mathematically correlated to the number of hisses). Impressively, she managed this without pausing her conversation with the plastic tube.

After a half an hour of glaring at the evil clearance-contraption which worked exactly 12.582 times slower than the manufacturers promised (and an additional 2.041 times slower when it was the Chemist's turn to receive his certificate, as it held a personal vendetta against him for the time he dared to call it a "damned slow thing"), he did his first duty of inspecting, and then imbibing samples of, the various chemical formulae he set to simmer overnight. Ah, the Ferromodine could use some Tritric Acid, his tongue complained, for that characteristic zest which only the Tritric can provide. The Chemist's stomach, on the other hand, lauded the mix with an abnormal bubbling. Peer-assisted solution testing thus became much more awkward (and smelly) for all parties involved.

Almost all of the other mixes, including the normally temporary-blindness-inducing Vadrogen Hemisconide, performed exactly as designed, which was an occasion odd in itself. The sole exception proclaimed itself to be Serum 208 - an insignificant solution ordered by a client of BOSS AND SONS CO. for the removal of a particularly nasty ketchup stain. Shortly after its union with his stomach acid, the Chemist heard - or thought he heard - a vivid snapping noise; a noise which could, with a more fluid sense of metaphor, be likened to the clash of a large bird's beak. Quickly inspecting his belly for any holes that are not supposed to be there, he came to the conclusion that the sound originated from his mind. Considering all of the effects of variable violence that his concoctions caused in the past, the Chemist dismissed this one as "slightly odd" and forgot about it. He sighed at the lack of more mixes to imbibe, and went to do battle with the paperwork that usurped his rightful place at his desk.

Unfortunately for the Chemist, the paper turned out to be a formidable foe. Somewhere by the middle, while reviewing Article 552, Section Four, Subsection VI, Paragraph iii, Subparagraph e) of the BOSS AND SONS CO.'s Chemicals Charter (Thrice Abridged Edition), Sleep's dark mist stealthily enveloped him. The transition from reading about Xenomatrezine's reactions in Cadron Trimusculated water to sinking hardened mandibles into the Desert Anting Gnat's segmented leg went smoother than a baby sliding down a warm butter mound.

Alas, this time, the Gnat brought a buzzing army of two other Gnats along with him, and swiftly took the battle to the hive itself. The Chemist fought bravely, but to no avail: the hairy proboscises sucked up his brothers by the hundreds, and it seemed as though he too shall fall (or, rather, rise) a victim the ants' nemesis. The powerful vortex caught him, and he felt himself rising from the ground. And then, he heard the snap of some powerful bird's beak.

Immediately recognizing the snap from before, he realized his dream-state, and turned himself into the dreaded Desert Anting Gnat Eater - a curious combination of an ant, an eagle, and a bear. The Anting Gnats ceased to be a problem in two swoops of his great paws, and his resurrected ant brothers once again sang a song of war to him as he rode his enormous wings to the skies. This time, it was the sheer excitement that woke him up.

Wasting no time, he left the half-defeated paper pile to lick its wounds and scheme desk domination, and went straight to the elevator to the highest floor of the building. Clutching Serum 208 in his hand, the Chemist knocked at the BOSS's office. Telling the plump Secretary that it was a matter of making millions and he didn't care that the BOSS was in an executive meeting and what did she mean when she said she'll call security, he handed her the vial to give to the BOSS after the meeting. Although he felt somewhat defeated by this turn of events, plump Secretaries had an admirable sense of duty - the vial will end up in BOSS's hands, one way or another. After comforting himself in this way, he returned to his desk, and resumed warring with the Thrice Abridged Chemicals Charter until the end of the day (and, subsequently, the work week).

Coming back to work from the weekend suddenly didn't seem as bad as it did on the Sunday, when the Chemist realized that he already worked through all of the papers and that he'd have the day to mix his solutions. On the other hand, even this prospect excited him less than usual - he spent most of the weekend sleeping and living out his phantasies in his dreams, aided by the Serum 208. The dreams offered a world where Braloxymodane perfectly mixed with Dodaceframate without any green explosions, and where he could travel to the desert without ever leaving his home. The only thing that 208's magic couldn't afford him was an extra holiday; work awaited.

He saw the banner a mile away, hanging at the very top of the BOSS AND SONS CO.'s building: "Drink 'Dreamsnap': Only two bird-snaps away from your wildest dreams!" The Chemist found the message of the banner very difficult to misinterpret. The BOSS seems to have taken the solution, experienced its extraordinary effects, and set up a manufacturing empire over the weekend! Victory was on Chemist's side this day, but nothing could prepare him for what awaited him inside the building

The Clearance-Machine, forgetting all of their past rivalry, let the Chemist in first. Even the perpetually phone-glued Secretary stopped talking and stared at him in amazement as he strode through the doors, eager to avoid curious glances from his coworkers. The BOSS himself met the Chemist, and showed him to his new office: a great, sparkling-white laboratory with more vials, tubes, Bunsen burners, vats with questionable bubbling liquid, lab coats, and ant farms than he had ever seen in his life. On the far side of the lab, a churning conveyor produced an endless stream of brightly packaged Dreamsnap bottles with sloshing pink liquid inside. These found themselves in boxes after a multi-armed metallic conglomeration packed them, and sent them on their way to an awaiting fleet of trucks, ready to deliver the revolutionary drink to every Arkford store.

The next few months may as well have been a dream themselves for the Chemist: the laboratory did everything he wanted it to and more. The last time he touched paper faded quickly in his memory, partly for his joy of the new equipment, and partly because of that curious incident with Vardrogen Trioxite. When he came home, he too drank Dreamsnap, and visited worlds that no tribal shaman smoking the sacred star-grass could ever envision. The rest of Arkford also enjoyed their nights in no way they expected, all thanks to the Serum 208-enriched Dreamsnap drink. The Taxi Driver became the Formula One Racer; the Slashfic Writing Fan launched to fame as the Celebrated Author; the Secretary, now the Princess, swooned at the young Prince; the SONS each succeeded the BOSS, and the BOSS descended to the level of a simple-minded, jungle-dwelling Savage: the one coveted existence that his money could not buy.

And so, incredibly, this story comes to the day the Chemist was no more. Everything started normally: he woke up at about an hour past noon, and complained at the bright light shining through his window for waking him up so early. He pulled himself out of his bed with the effort of an ant trying to drag a rock behind it, and shambled to the bathroom. There, he simmered in the shower for a good half an hour before getting out to dress and put the kettle on the stove for his fresh coffee. The poster of the Periodic Table lay in the corner of his living-room, covered with dust. After reading a mundane pulp about Barbarian the Barbarian that he picked up the other week, he left the house - it was about three in the afternoon.

Though people usually did get up at around this time, the only actions in the streets were impressive tumbleweed races. The Chemist walked to work now - the trains stopped running when there weren't enough people to carry (and the train crews stopped showing up). Overall, the town didn't quite look deserted - there was too little garbage to be seen anywhere, as there was no one outside to litter. Every street flaunted faded Dreamsnap banners, dimly reflecting the pink shimmering of the river Ark. Pink, the Chemist thought. Odd. This inconsistency did not bother him for long, however - a grand day was planned today in the lab, now almost entirely converted to producing massive amounts of the innocent and profitable Serum 208. He entered the empty front hall of the BOSS AND SONS CO. building, paying no heed to the weakly complaining clearance-machine as he passed the front doors on his way to the laboratory.

Inside, he was greeted by a crowd of people. A crowd, he found himself exclaiming quietly. It was a long time since he had seen so many people in one place. What do you mean, he asked, why does it matter that the town died? The world of dreams is a better one than the real world. The crowd didn't want to listen to him, though - they already disposed of all Dreamsnap by dumping it into the river, and the Chemist followed, to be fed to the fishes. Unfortunately, there were no fish left to eat him - they all dreamed soundly of catching fishermen.
Last edited by carbonCore on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 am
Baywolf says...

Hey Hex!

After stumbling blindly into your story, I found my way out. I felt much like how Alice must have felt upon entering Wonderland. The whirling chemicals and sliding of phrases caught me off guard, but once I started reading I found it hard to stop. I enjoyed my foray into your tangled mind. I had no idea it was so scary in there. :)

Of course, seeing as how I can barely understand chemist speak, I can't really give any criticism. I was so absorbed into the story as well that I didn't see any grammatical errors either. In a way, this was kind of epic.

Have you ever seen the film Brazil? Your story kind of reminded me of that movie. It's very postmodern in that way. Things are happening, irony is being tossed in our faces, the paperwork is taking over the world, etc. I liked it. If you haven't seen that movie, I recommend that you watch it. It's bloody confusing, but it's definitely interesting and worth seeing at least once.

Anyway, that's all I came to say.

Happy Writing!
Bailey
After all, it is the pen that gives power to the mythical sword.

"For an Assistant Pig-Keeper, I think you're quite remarkable." Eilonwy

"You also shall be Psyche."

"My only regret
all the Butterflies
that I have killed with my car" Martin Lanaux

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:59 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Hey Carbon, here I am as requested! :D

Okay, so my first thoughts on this piece is that it's very clever; I like the overall tone you have as you tell the story, and the way it ends. You kept the pace pretty well and I like the subtle detachment on the narrative tone, always referring to him as The Chemist and making living entities out of things like the evil clearance-contraption.

I think the main trouble I had while I was reading it is that there were a lot of complex, run-on sentences. You were going for an amusing, detached tone, which actually comes off really well, but in places it can get a bit...too much. Take this sentence, for example:
After a half an hour of glaring at the evil clearance-contraption which worked exactly 12.582 times slower than the manufacturers promised (and an additional 2.041 times slower when it was the Chemist's turn to receive his certificate, as it held a personal vendetta against him for the time he dared to call it a "damned slow thing"), he did his first duty of inspecting, and then imbibing samples of, the various chemical formulae he set to simmer overnight.

It's funny and I really like it, but I felt like I was rushing through it and when the period came I had to take a huge breath and slow down again. If you could add a few more pauses throughout, I think it would greatly improve the flow for reading and give people more time to actually absorb what's being said and appreciate the humor you're getting across. Just remember that semicolons can be your friends. ;)

Another thing is that you used some long, fancy, technical-sounding words for the chemical names; all very well and good, but just don't go too overboard with them, because when my eyes see a phrase like "Vadrogen Hemidrasconide", I instantly glaze over and read it as a bunch of mumbled, hurried gibberish in my mind as I move on to the rest of the story. There were a few instances I did that, and I just don't want the technicalities (or fictional ones, at least) to get in the way of the narrative.

Okay, so that's really all I have to critique. Your wording and imagery is excellent, and I think the main thing is just making sure you don't get overly elaborate with it all and just let your readers fully comprehend what you've written, so we can appreciate it more. Thanks for the read, I really enjoyed it! :D
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:07 pm
Azila says...

I have humbly come before you, Majesty, to offer my meager opinion of your royal work.

Firstly, I'll say that I like this. It is refreshing and witty. The tone of it is quite amusing and really well done, I think. Yes, there were some awkwardly long sentences, but isn't that the point? I see it as somewhat tongue-in-cheek, so I actually like it. The story also rambled a lot--you spent paragraphs explaining things that weren't, strictly speaking, necessary to the plot. But while these additional detail is superfluous, it makes your story all the more three-dimensional and real-feeling, so I thought they were great. I agree with baywolf: it really does remind me of the film Brazil, which I think you'd probably like a lot. Personally, I can't say it's my favorite movie ever (it scared the bajeebaz out of me for months after I saw it), but it has a similar eerily surreal feeling to it as this piece does.

I'm not going to do nit-picks (basically because I really don't have time right now) but there is something I would like to point out. Remember that grammar thing I pointed out in The Unicorn, about the modal auxiliary verbs? Well, you're still doing it. Basically, what you need to know is that "shall" in past tense should be "should" and "will" in past tense should be "would." You use those words a few times throughout the piece, but you use them in present tense which makes it seem like you're jumping between tenses, so just watch out for that.

That said, let's take a look at what you meant with this story. You start out with a description of Arkford. The description is very dreamy, which is interesting. I'll get back to that a little later. Next you go on to describe the Chemist's dream. I have to say, I found this part rather tiresome to read because it's so surreal so soon... it didn't really give me any time to get into the story, so the first time I read it, I was pulled in by the description of Arkford, but then I got a little distracted during the dream scene, then I got interested again after that. I know the dream is very important to the piece, but I wonder if maybe you could go into detail later in the story instead of in the beginning? Just a suggestion. Anyhow, then you describe the Chemist's ordinary beginning of his day, and going to work. Personally, I'd like to see more of the town, but that's up to you. So far, you've described a dreamy town, and a dreamy man. But he isn't only dreamy--he also is excited about his work--nice contrast. I also liked the work itself--who wouldn't be excited about work if it meant they got to mix, react, and drink toxic chemicals?! It has a very 19th century "scientific" feel. Nice.

Then you describe the workplace--especially the secretary and the clearance-contraption. This is one of those things that's not necessary, but a nice addition as it helps with world-building. Then you talk more about his work. I'm afraid I might have to agree with baywolf in saying that this is a little too much detail. While the descriptions of fictional chemical reactions is entertaining, I think it goes on a little too far and sort of makes us lose track of the point of the story... but then again, maybe that is the point of the story, in which case just leave it as it is and ignore my ramblings. Anyway, you now introduce the Serum. I love the fact that it was originally created for removing the stains of something that doesn't even leave stains. ^_^ But when he drinks it, I can't help but think that I didn't see much difference in him. He was dreamy and surreal and overly verbose already... the Serum didn't seem to change him much. And, while it does make him fall asleep and dream what he wants to dream, it doesn't really seem to affect him much beyond that. Did you mean it to? If you did, then I'd work on making there be more contrast between the before and the after.

Then comes the interesting part: the end. He realizes that this Serum is great stuff and before long the whole town is addicted to it--and destroyed by it. People become lazy to the extent that all they want to do is dream, and be surrounded by their fantasies. Once again, though, I don't really see much difference. Sure, their fantasies are a little more outlandish than real life, but I already had the impression that everyone was in a world of their own, and the fact that they are now dreaming drugged dreams doesn't really make it that different in my eyes. Is that the point? Are you trying to say that people will take chemicals to do what they are already doing and then take it to an extreme and destroy themselves? I'm not sure.

In the end, though, the people wake up. They realize that they have been destroyed and in turn want to destroy the Chemist. I thought this was strange, since I would have thought they were too engrossed in their dreams to realize a thing like that, but apparently that's not what you had in mind. I also liked the very end, with the fish--basically, he ends up just drowning in the river which is polluted with the Serum. Nice touch.

Overall, it's a pleasant read. It's funny, and it's surreal, and it feels like it might be symbolic in some sense... but I can't really grasp what that sense is. I'm a little confused about what overall effect it should have on me, and right now it has very little overall effect at all. It feels like it should be one of those stories that is pretty allegorical, but there's too much "unimportant" detail, which is given the same importance as the plot. I'm confused about what I should consider symbolic and what I should consider worldbuilding. Is it all symbolic? Or maybe it's all just to set a scene? I don't know. I'm left a little confused. Like I say, I like it, but I'm not sure what thoughts to come away with.

Sorry this wasn't that helpful! I gotta run now, but please let me know if you want me to come back and look at any other aspects of the story that I may have missed.

Humbly,
a

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:13 am
Roseamanelle says...

Hiya there, Mr. Carbon. Rosea here, for the trade~

The opening made me frown immediately. Why? Because of the word "industrial". "Industrial" or any such technical term, to me, is immediately synonymous to "boring". I'm not trying to be mean, here, it's just my point of view~... To describe the town immediately without giving the reader reason to care about what it looks like put me off a bit. Maybe start off with something more interesting, such as an action, an event? But certainly not the weather. It will work better, I assure you. Something to justify your title, "sleepidemic"... An epidemic of sleepiness, perhaps, is what you meant by that? "Town" is redundant. Also, explain to us how the brick smokestacks are being judgmental by pointing at the sky. I think I know what you mean, but some readers might not get it immediately, so that needs clarification.

Never start an introduction with the weather. That's a taboo. It would be better if you rearranged the sentences here - the chemist waking up late being mentioned in the first part, and then the description of the day in the latter part. Make the character experience or see what is happening around them. It will make your story more 3D.

I realized, scanning through your text, that you write in blocks and blocks of paragraphs and it makes this certain piece a bit hard to read. Trust me, a stray, stand-alone line here and there will help refresh the reader's vision, as well as urge them to go on. Also, I noticed that you have a good eye for detail, but you have not been able to narrate it well. It's beautiful, the images here, and it's intriguing, but the way it was written doesn't build up much suspense. Try quirking it up a bit.

All in all, it was a pretty interesting story, and there is good use of humor... it's quite engaging once you get past the first two paragraphs and I liked the character you gave the Chemist very much. He's well portrayed. Also, I see you're very fond of chemistry... as for me, stoichiometry still haunts my nightmares, you know.

I hope this helps! Sorry if I was so brief. It's just that there's not much to nitpick here... it's already good as it is.

Have a nice one~
"I write stories for songs, although songs are already stories in themselves... there has to be a deeper meaning. It's just like drawing: from two-dimensional to three-dimensional, I try to bring the lyrics to solid life. In literature."

Rosea at your service~

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Tue May 03, 2011 6:05 pm
charcoalspacewolfman says...

This is a very interesting little world. Very quaint and faintly sinister, very much like Serum 208. I liked the way you described the chemist's work and the various things he uses; it all sounds very conversational, almost like I'm sitting in a high-backed leather chair by a fire being told all of this by an old man who worked at the company. You make everything seem so mundane, even when he's shoved into the river.
All in all, the mood fit the story very well and the components worked together like clockwork. I will admit I felt a good deal sleepier while I was reading it, but since that was kinda what it seemed to be going for, it worked well.
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sat May 07, 2011 7:48 pm
silentpages says...

"One day (it would be improper to say "one sunny day" in the manner of most story beginnings, as almost every day bathed the city in a dim orange glow regardless of the Sun's intensity)" - That sentence within the parentheses strikes me as unnecessary, and a little wordy. We already understand that this city's got problems with pollution, and it's a very large segment to put in the middle of another sentence. If you really want to keep it though, maybe you could just fit it in as a simpler sentence of its own?

"Had it not been for the roar of the fog horn shattering the blessed illusion to pieces, he would spend the rest of the day in his dream, leading his war tribe to become too fearsome for any Anting Gnat to attack." Would have spent.

"a short fight for superiority with the work clothes" Nice way of describing it. xD

"Donning his overcoat and flushing remaining sleep away with half a cup of yesterday's coffee" Donning, flushing remaining... Lots of -ings. It sounds especially odd to have the two -ing words pushed right together.

Some tense issues, I think.

" (though what he did not know - and this question tormented him with the persistence and ferocity of a mediaeval witch hunter - was whether the Desert Anting Gnat indeed existed outside of his dreams)." What does this have to do with the paperwork on his desk?

"allowing one or two people to slip by (the number of luck-struck slippers-by was therefore directly and mathematically correlated to the number of hisses)." Again, the stuff in the parentheses seems a little wordy, and rather long. A bit intrusive, maybe, is what I'm saying?

"he did his first duty of inspecting, and then imbibing samples of, the various chemical formulae he set to simmer overnight." This is the second time you're used the phrase 'imbibing samples of', isn't it? I think it's distinct enough that the readers will notice it, so is there another way to phrase it? Please note, I'm no expert of chemical/scientific terminology. That said, some of your readers might not be, either. Is everyone going to know what 'imbibing samples' means off the top of their heads? I think you mostly fixed this by the thing that came next about him tasting it, but I would keep an eye on it. ;)

"smoother than a baby sliding down a warm butter mound." Interesting visual. XD

"living out his phantasies in his dreams" Fantasies?

One thing that confuses me a little bit is how he puts together some big connection between the serum and his dreams, but I'm not entirely sure what that realization was. I'd like it to be a little more clear what the realization is and how he came to it. What was his thought process?

" "Drink 'Dreamsnap': Only two bird-snaps away from your wildest dreams!" The Chemist found the message of the banner very difficult to misinterpret. The BOSS seems to have taken the solution." Again, some tense issues, but that's not my only problem with this part. It says two bird-snaps, but the Boss hasn't talked with The Chemist about it yet, has he? What things sound like is subjective, so to them it may not have sounded like a bird snap. Bird-snaps is very specific, and to be honest it doesn't exactly sound like a great advertising slogan. I can imagine consumers looking up at that banner and going, "What in the world is a bird-snap?"
The other thing is, would the Boss really have the solution himself? These guys seem to be taking some risks here... I mean, like I said, I'm not a chemist, so maybe this is a common thing, just randomly tasting whatever chemical you're mixing up. But if I were a boss (and I get the impression he's not a very nice boss) and some overworked employee told me I had to drink some unknown chemical... I would not drink that chemical myself.

Prediction: The whole second part of this is a dream? o.O Because if it's not, I find it a bit unbelievable. A manufacturing thing over the weekend? Did the Chemist have any claim to this stuff before he handed it over to his boss? Would he really get all the credit he deserves, really. And wouldn't they have contacted him to talk about all this?

I liked the last lines, about the fish dreaming of catching fisherman. I do have a couple of things though.

"The crowd didn't want to listen to him, though - they already disposed of all Dreamsnap by dumping it into the river" Yes, this place has got issues with pollution, but this still seems a bit unlikely. What's going to happen to all the people downstream? Where did the crowd come from? Why did everyone in town die, before the Chemist, who took the stuff first to begin with? How did they actually die? Did the serum burn their insides to a crisp, or did they spend so much dreaming that they forgot to eat and ended up starving?

This is an interesting story, albeit a bit unlikely in places... I think one of my main problems with it is that things happen so suddenly. In a split second, the Chemist realizes everything about the serum. Over the weekend, they start producing it on a massive scale. As not much time passes, every single person in town (apparently) starts to drink the stuff, and they all seem to die overnight.

Potential, but I think there are still a couple kinks that need to be ironed out. :]

Keep writing! ^^
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell