z

Young Writers Society

A World Away

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:04 am
Rei says...

Last edited by Rei on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:40 am
Swires says...

I dont really know what to say to this, it seems like a summary to an entire story, alm ost ike a fairy tale. I dont know how to review this ...mmmm....
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:35 am
Griffinkeeper says...

This is a nice outline. It sounds like some of the events come too easily, but I'll reserve this until you post an actual chapter from the work.

Although the mere word 'gryphon' made my interest spike at somewhere about 1000%. If this is the outline, it is good and I'd be interested in seeing how you combined the elements together.

If this is the entire story though, it needs to be expanded, although I doubt this is the case.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

685 Reviews

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:55 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

It's not likely that I will write this as an actual novel, or even a longer short story. It was just meant to be a little fairy tale for the person I consider my "unicorn."

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:57 pm
Nox says...

This was really short and for a young reader and I enjoyed reading it. Good job.
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:59 am
DarkerSarah says...

W00t, Rei's back!

You would make an amazing children's writer, Rei. I know I've already told you that, but you write with such pure simplicity. I actually really enjoyed it. Though I would suggest you not using the word "world" in the first paragraph so many times. It's an easy mistake to make, I do it all the time, but you could find a different word to replace it, even if it means reworking a few of the sentences.

This is a fun piece, and even though I agree with Griffin about here being able to go from one change to the other too easily, I think it was a nice little ditty. And I liked the part about the unicorn. I would have liked more imagery when we're introduced to him, though.

How's your novel coming? You've probably been busy with school, I know I have. It's "Novel Writing Year" or something, on YWS, so you've got a head start! Best of luck to you

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

Random avatar

Reviews: 44
Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:20 pm
Dynasty cow says...

this is a short story. and thats good , loads of people (including me ) right a start to a novel and end it at somthing like ' after killing all those who inhabited the village, the troll felt ashamed and walked into the setting sun' but this is finished. ill be honest it does lack depth and is repetative but i like the idea and if your writing for younger creatures than me , keep your style cs it fits perfectly to what aged 7-10 children want. :cry:
can a cow be cooked in a woc if a woc can be cooked in a cow?

685 Reviews

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:23 pm
Rei says...

Repetition isn't always a bad thing. Heck, so much of traditional story-telling is full of repetition. They also appear to lack depth unless you know to look for it. Metephorically speaking, this story is what happened when I moved to Cornwall from Toronto.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:34 pm
*Twilight* says...

This would actually make a good picture book for children. The worlds have many colors and lots of things to see so there would be plenty to draw. The whole way yo wrote it seemed like you planned for it to be a picture book.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi