z

Young Writers Society

Darkness to Darkness

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon May 17, 2010 7:12 pm
Riveneye says...

Well here's my first story. I wish I could have formatted it better. But it was hard for me to do that with this forum. Enjoy :D

Edit: 5/18/2010
I've taken everyone's comment's so far and have edited it. Thanks.

Darkness to Darkness
Long ago when the world was still young, there was no light and all was darkness. The many different races of creatures could never tell the days apart. To them it was simply put “darkness to darkness.” Myriads, Dryads, Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Faeries, Sprites and more were the main inhabitants of the planet of Earth.
Today was a particularly dark day, but the gusting wind seemed to make things gloomier. Finally, fed up with the darkness, the chief council decided to hold a meeting under the light of torches. By holding this meeting they hoped to make a plan to bring light to the world. “We must bring an end to the darkness.” One of the council members shouted. His hands slammed on the table as he spoke. “I had a dream last night. It showed me of two people, whom will bring our village and the whole world light. They are my grandchildren.” The members of the council gasped for this man who had been talking to them was the head council member.
Although he was a human, who were always considered an inferior species, he had been made a leader by his genius and good judgment. Out of all of the races the humans were ranked the because of their low fighting skills and intelligence. The members soon began to gossip and talk amongst themselves. Orion of the Elven sect was the first to express his discontent. “How can his grandchildren do this? For are they only a boy and girl of thirteen years of age. Surely they are too young to accomplish such a task.” With a wave of his hand the council leader silenced the group. “They will bring light for I have foreseen it in my dreams. Laura, Martin please come here.” A young boy and a girl came forward at the elder’s command.
Short blonde hair grew on the boy’s head. Around his body he wore a cream colored tunic with britches to match and reed sandals. The girl’s long brown hair draped onto her shoulders, touching part of the blue robe she wore. On her feet she also wore sandals like her brothers. They both looked at least thirteen and were twins. But as people could see they looked nothing alike.
“Yes grandfather. You called.” They both answered as they stood in front of him. The wizened man groped around in his pockets as he instructed them. “Listen, my dear grandchildren. You are the ones who will bring light to the world. To do this you must go to the east side of our village and go on top of the highest hill there. Take these rings with you for they will be needed to accomplish your goal.” Each of the children was given a ring.
Martin was given a ring with a shining yellow stone set on a gold band. And Laura was given a ring with a silverish stone on top of a band of silver. Quickly thanking their grandfather they grabbed a torch and set out for the east end of the village. As soon as they left the building they quickened their pace. Eager about getting to the hill, they talked as they went.
“So how are we supposed to bring light with these rings?” Laura asked. “Grandfather said that these rings power would only work through a great act of love. I guess we’ll just have to wait till we get there to find out what they do.” It took some time but they finally arrived at the hill, their path up the hill being lit dimly by lanterns. When they neared the top of the hill they became aware of the cries of a young child. From the bottom they could make out the distinct outline of a young boy.

With all the speed of children, they ran up the hill till the pale light of their torch illuminated part of the hill. The boy had locks of curly blonde hair, fair skin, and was wearing a robe as white as the purest snow. Martin squinted through the torchlight to make out the features of what seemed to be a second figure next to the boy. His keen eye managed to pick out the features of the figure. While slender in figure this thing seemed to have a large head, with sharp bits of flesh jutting out of its body. How gruesome this thing looked made it evident it was far from human it was a creature, a beast of some sort.
Laura had not given the situation much of a glance. Martin was carrying the torch and to her all she saw was the boy. Hearing his cries of sadness she ran forward to help him. A scream tore from Martin’s throat as he tried to stop her. He was several steps behind and Laura arrived at the boy before he could warn her.
Several times the creature brought the flat of a sword down on her back before Martin intervened. Stabbing the torch in the ground he lashed out kicking the sword out of the monster’s hand. He turned his back for a moment to check on his sister and the boy. Aside from some bruises and minor cuts they appeared fine.

At that time the monster returned, having found its fallen sword. Standing in front of his sister and the boy he held his hands up to grab the sword as the monster swung. Instantly he cursed his stupidity in silence. He had grabbed the sword on a whim because of having nothing to defend with. The pain uncut or not was excruciating. It took all his strength just to keep his hands on the flat of the blade.
Unwilling to give up the monster viciously ripped the sword from Martin’s hands, cutting his hands, and thrust towards his abdomen. Martin’s mouth fell open as the blood flowed out of his hands, but couldn’t find the time to scream.
The whole hill was suddenly bathed in a bright light never seen before by any of the citizens of the village. Fleeing in terror, the monster did not strike Martin and ran off into the forest. Martin stood beside Laura, clenching his bleeding hand and looking up in wonder. The curly haired boy was enveloped in a bright white light.
There now stood a grown man in front of them. His most noticeably features were his eye and robe. The robe was as even whiter than the robe of the previous boy, and his light blue eyes expressed tender love. And unlike the boy’s hair, his was long and straight. Both Martin and Laura bowed down for they realized that this man was a being of that of the higher power.
“Martin, Laura arise. For today you have shown kindness to someone whom you did not know. Because of this I will reward you and the world with light.” No sooner had the man spoke, and the rings on their hands slipped off and began to glow. The rings then soared off into different parts of the sky. Because the rings glowed so fiercely they became the Sun and the Moon. Next the tiny droplets of the two children’s blood glistened like silver and became the stars of the night.
When this was done Martin and Laura gasped in amazement as all of their cuts and bruises were healed. But when the turned around to thank the man he was gone. Martin helped Laura to her feet and together as brother and sister, they walked back to the village on a new day with light.
Last edited by Riveneye on Tue May 18, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiction flight is almost here. Check us out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiction-Flight/130489243696865
(yea we don't have a website casue we can't think of a publishing name yet.)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon May 17, 2010 8:12 pm
narniafreak12 says...

Hey! I'm Narniafreak! Welcome!

Aww this story was kind of cute. I liked it. The end where their rings and blood became the stars and stuff were really cool. I liked how you described the man's eyes
his light blue eyes expressed tender love

Here are a few things.
One: maybe describe the different races in the council, like would each one react the same? If they are different then maybe the Elves agree because the are wise or the humans disagree because sending innocent children to do a deed is preposterous. Stuff like that.
Two: When the children are fighting the "creature" I got confused. It was really fast and sounded a bit rushed. Maybe extend this by describing the fight more thorough and describe what the creature looks like [or what it seems to look like since it is dark].

Although he was a human, which were always considered an inferior species,

Why are they inferior? Did something happen? You could explain this.
Had Laura noticed the sinister monster that had been tormenting the child, then she may or may not have run forward to help the child. But unfortunately she didn’t.

The first time I read this part I thought Laura DID NOT run forward and help so when I read the next part I got confused and had to re-read it. Maybe change it to be less confusing.
Unwilling to give up the monster viciously ripped the sword from Martin’s hands, cutting his hands, and thrust.

This was probably just a typo or something but it says "and thrust" then stops. What did he "thrust" and where did it go?

Other than those couple things which you may or may not want to change it was great! Good Job!

-Narniafreak!

8 Reviews

Mon May 17, 2010 10:19 pm
Riveneye says...

Thanks a lot I'm definitely going to take what you said into consideration. I wanted to make sure it wasn't to messed up before I cross it off the list. I'm putting this one and number of others into a book of short stories, so critique is a big help.
Fiction flight is almost here. Check us out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiction-Flight/130489243696865

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Mon May 17, 2010 11:17 pm
etinarcadiaego says...

Hey, I saw you on the Welcome Board, so I figured I'll reivew one of your stories. I enjoyed the set up and fairy tale feel of the story, although there are a few points wehre the wording gets a little awkward. Remember, avoid was or were as much as possible...try to stay in active tense for as much as you can, because it makes it a much more interesting, riveting story. That said, I enjoyed the lazy fairytale feel of the piece, so you kind of have two options when you edit this: You can amp up the fairy tale feel, or cut it down and make it more active. Whichever way you chose, try to go to the extreme with it...if you make it a middle, it gets a bit muddled and awkward. overall, though, good story with clever ideas!
"See the cat? See the cradle?" ~ Kurt Vonnegut

"I should like to bury something precious, in every place I've been happy. And then when I was old, and ugly and miserable, I could come back, and dig it up, and remember." ~ Sebastian Flyte

8 Reviews

Tue May 18, 2010 4:09 pm
Riveneye says...

Yep I saw your post. I understand what your saying with the words was or were. I've read several books on writing. All of them tell you to avoid repetitive use of words and certain types of words like was and were. I think I'll still try to keep the fairy tale style, just try to amp up the action towards the end.

I've taken everyone's comments so far and have edited it. Just from what I can see and feel it looks improved.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri May 21, 2010 12:48 am
JackpotJohnson says...

Good...I liked it..i would provide constructive criticism but what i needed to say was already said. :D Good Job!!
-JJ-
My new website needs members: http://wwww.writethiswaywriters.webs.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 pm
Chasmira1060 says...

I really enjoyed reading this story; I always love tales that put a new twist on how something came to be. The title I thought was very clever, and I love the symbolism with the rings becoming the sun and moon and the blood becoming stars. I won't bother with the minor improvements since others have already suggested them; overall, it was a very nice read, so keep up the good work!
Bloodmaiden; Golden Healer, Dark Enchantress; Elantra: Song of Tears, Lady of the Dawn.
Visit the author, Christine E. Schulze, of these and other unique, exciting fantasy titles at
http://christineeschulze.webs.com/

Reviews: 1
Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:43 am
nicchaos says...

Very creative Riveneye. I don't think you have shown me this one yet. I like the connection with the moon, sun and stars. The only thing I have against it is that it almost seems rushed. maybe putting more detail in and slowing down a hair would be good.
We have to get together again! I am submitting a new poem now that you could review.
C U soon.
Nicchaos
In greek mythology, chaos was the formess void from which came night and day, the earth and sky, time and light, gods and beasts. In short, all things were born from chaos.

But the first born was love.

Reviews: 1
Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:42 pm
inimitablebeauty says...

i look forward to reading more from you

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:11 pm
carbonCore says...

Spoiler! :
Long ago when the world was still young, there was no light and all was darkness. The many different races of creatures could never tell the days apart. To them it was, simply put, “darkness to darkness.” Myriads, Dryads, Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Faeries, Sprites and more were the main inhabitants of the planet of Earth. [Earth? This sounds like a fantasy story. Generally, you want to avoid using Earth as a setting, unless you're prepared to mix real history with your own imagination]

Today [This "today" reads so oddly. Maybe write "one day"?] was a particularly dark day, [wouldn't every day be completely dark if there's no light?] but the gusting wind seemed to make things gloomier. Finally, fed up with the darkness, the chief council [Err, what chief council?] decided to hold a meeting under the light of torches. [So it wasn't ACTUALLY always dark? I think that any presence of light in so insignificant a context clashes with a story whose name is Darkness to Darkness] By holding this meeting they hoped to make a plan to bring light to the world. “We must bring an end to the darkness,” One of the council members shouted. His hands slammed on the table as he spoke. “I had a dream last night. It showed me of two people, whom will bring our village and the whole world light. They are my grandchildren.” The members of the council gasped, for this man who had been talking to them was the head council member.

Although he was a human, who were always considered an inferior species, he had been made a leader by his genius and good judgment. [Riiiiiight. The dwarves and the elves wouldn't have a problem with this? I think this is the fantasy equivalent of Caligula appointing his horse as one of Rome's senators. I'm pretty sure this kind of thing would start a civil war] Out of all of the races the humans were ranked the because of their low fighting skills and intelligence. [Are you writing about a video game? "Fighting skills" and "intelligence" are such broad and silly attributes that it's hard to take them seriously. Perhaps "human steel would buckle and fail under a fine dwarven mace of Mithril, and human philosophers could never stand a chance against the sharp Elven mind"?] The members soon began to gossip and talk amongst themselves. Orion of the Elven sect was the first to express his discontent. “How can his grandchildren do this? For are they only a boy and girl of thirteen years of age. Surely they are too young to accomplish such a task.” With a wave of his hand the council leader silenced the group. “They will bring light, for I have foreseen it in my dreams. Laura, Martin, please come here.” A young boy and a girl came forward at the elder’s command.

Short blonde hair grew on the boy’s head. [You're making his hair sound like a plant. If you absolutely must describe his hair (and I don't know why you'd want that to begin with), then write something simpler, like "The boy had short blonde hair"] Around On his body he wore a cream colored tunic with britches to match and reed sandals. The girl’s long brown hair draped onto her shoulders, touching part of the blue robe she wore. On her feet she also wore sandals like her brothers. They both looked at least thirteen and were twins. But as people could see, they looked nothing alike.

“Yes grandfather. You called,they both answered as they stood in front of him. The wisened man groped around in his pockets [I don't think you should ever use the word "grope" unless it refers to somebody's private parts - because that's the association it brings up for most folk. Considering he's reaching into his pocket.....] as he instructed them. “Listen, my dear grandchildren. You are the ones who will bring light to the world. To do this you must go to the east side of our village and go on top of the highest hill there. Take these rings with you for they will be needed to accomplish your goal.” Each of the children was given a ring.

Martin was given a ring with a shining yellow stone set on a gold band, and Laura was given a ring with a silverish silver stone on top of a band of silver. [Silver on silver? Heraldry 101: Don't ever put one metal on top of the other. Garnet on silver, ok. Silver and diamond, go for it. Silver and gold? No. Silver and silver? Triple no. Read the Rule of Tincture, if you want to know more] Quickly thanking their grandfather they grabbed a torch and set out for the east end of the village. As soon as they left the building, they quickened their pace. Eager about getting to get to to the hill, they talked as they went.

“So how are we supposed to bring light with these rings?” Laura asked. “Grandfather said that these rings power would only work through a great act of love. [Um. No he didn't. When did he say that? ...are you not telling me something?] I guess we’ll just have to wait till we get there to find out what they do.” It took some time but they finally arrived at the hill, [Just like that? You're not going to tell us about how they got there, what dark, gnarled trees they saw on their way up, and how the eternal darkness of the sky felt like a great weight upon their poor, 13-year-old souls?] their path up the hill being lit dimly by lanterns. When they neared the top of the hill they became aware of the cries of a young child. From the bottom [...the bottom? Weren't they up on a hill?] they could make out the distinct outline of a young boy.

With all the speed of children that children are capable of, they ran up the hill till the pale light of their torch illuminated part of the hill. [Hill, 'till, ill-uminated... Are you doing this on purpose? :P] The boy had locks of curly blonde hair, fair skin, and was wearing a robe as white as the purest snow. Martin squinted through the torchlight to make out the features of what seemed to be a second figure next to the boy. His keen eye managed to pick out the features of the figure. While slender in figure this thing seemed to have a large head, with sharp bits of flesh jutting out of its body. How gruesome this thing looked made it evident it was far from human it was a creature, a beast of some sort. [A beast that's either dead or undead, by the sound of it. Flesh "jutting" from it? Not, say, "protruding"? I don't think flesh can "jut", really]

Laura had not given the situation much of a glance. Martin was carrying the torch and to her all she saw was the boy. Hearing his cries of sadness she ran forward to help him. A scream tore from Martin’s throat as he tried to stop her. [Uh... okay? Characterize your MCs a bit. I know she's probably going to get attacked, but I find it really difficult to care. I don't know these people. It doesn't matter if they die, not yet] He was several steps behind and Laura arrived at the boy before he could warn her.

Several times the creature brought the flat of a sword down on her back before Martin intervened. Stabbing the torch in the ground he lashed out kicking the sword out of the monster’s hand. He turned his back for a moment to check on his sister and the boy. Aside from some bruises and minor cuts they appeared fine. [If you smash somebody on the back with a sword, even the hilt (which is what I assume you meant by the "flat" of it), you're going to cause much more than a bruise]

At that time the monster returned, having found its fallen sword. Standing in front of his sister and the boy he held his hands up to grab the sword as the monster swung. Instantly he cursed his stupidity in silence. He had grabbed the sword on a whim because of having nothing to defend with. The pain uncut or not was excruciating. [Err... uncut? As in, not circumcised? o_O] It took all his strength just to keep his hands on the flat of the blade.

Unwilling to give up the monster viciously ripped the sword from Martin’s hands, cutting his hands, and thrust towards his abdomen. Martin’s mouth fell open as the blood flowed out of his hands, but couldn’t find the time to scream.

The whole hill was suddenly bathed in a bright light never seen before by any of the citizens of the village. Fleeing in terror, the monster did not strike Martin and ran off into the forest. Martin stood beside Laura, clenching his bleeding hand and looking up in wonder. The curly haired boy was enveloped in a bright white light.

There now stood a grown man in front of them. His most noticeably features were his eye and robe. The robe was as even whiter than the robe of the previous boy, and his light blue eyes expressed tender love. And unlike the boy’s hair, his was long and straight. Both Martin and Laura bowed down for they realized that this man was a being of that of the higher power.

“Martin, Laura, arise. For today you have shown kindness to someone whom you did not know. [Is that so? It didn't seem like there was much kindness involved. They just kind of ran up to the boy to check out the body, then got attacked] Because of this I will reward you and the world with light.” No sooner had the man spoke, and the rings on their hands slipped off and began to glow. The rings then soared off into different parts of the sky. Because the rings glowed so fiercely they became the Sun and the Moon. Next the tiny droplets of the two children’s blood glistened like silver and became the stars of the night.

When this was done Martin and Laura gasped in amazement as all of their cuts and bruises were healed. But when the turned around to thank the man he was gone. Martin helped Laura to her feet and together as brother and sister, they walked back to the village on a new day with light.

The spoiler above contains my in-depth critique.

First of all: cut the beginning. It's boring. Cut everything until the words "Fed up with the darkness, the chief council decided to hold a meeting under the light of torches.", including the word "finally". It sounds like an indecisive grandfather telling a bedtime story to his grandson. "So once upon a time there were elves, dwarves...." Boring. Half the viewers probably didn't even read past that first paragraph, and that first paragraph is all you have to impress them into reading further. You cut everything until "Fed up...", you immediately pique the reader's interest. What chiefs? What darkness? Why are they fed up with it? How will they get rid of it? Questions spring up, questions that the reader wants answered. You start out by answering questions that the reader did not even have. Which, as I have already said twice, is boring.

Second: light. Most religions consider the advent of light to be the point of creation of any sort of intelligent (or, shall I say it, "good") life. If there was no light, where would fire come from? And don't say "by rubbing sticks together", because without a sun, humans would freeze to death in a matter of months. Lightning is also out of the question, since clouds can't form when there's no sunlight. You might be thinking something along the lines of "but Core, this is a mythological piece, these inconsistencies should not matter!" Right, they wouldn't. But this is not a mythological piece. My reasoning for this is simple: mythological pieces, myths, as it were, usually have justifications (mythical or otherwise) for anything that seems out of place. How do you justify people living in the darkness? What evil god created them with eyes only to plant them on a land where there is no light?

Technical issues: you have to give commas more love. They're missing from a lot of sentences in your story. I've added the ones I could find, but I still suggest you brush up a bit on where to use and where not to use commas. They help, they make it easier to read. Also, spice up your diction a little bit. I'm as against purple prose as the next guy, but beige prose is just as bad, if not worse. A story without descriptive writing is like a word without vowels. You can technically read it as-is, but it's much more enjoyable and easier when you make the experience more fun for the reader.

That's about it for now. In your next piece, try to think of yourself as a reader: what would YOU like to read? What kind of opening sentence would reel YOU in?

Your faerie,
cC
_

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke