z

Young Writers Society

Clover's Curse (redone)

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 pm
Dreamworx95 says...

Thanks to bradsk88, Livinginfantasy, zankoku_na_tenshi and clograbby for editing tips.

Inspirational Song: Red is Blue by Ben Folds

Chapter One - Good Misfortune

I've always had the feeling that I was cursed, which is a little ironic because my name's Clover, and clovers are supposed to be lucky. That being said, what kind of a name is Clover for a boy anyways? Or a human, for that matter? It sounds like a name fit for an elf or a leprechaun, or even a dog. Not for a human.

Moving on to my next point: I am an orphan. My parents didn’t die or anything, at least I don’t think so. You see, I was one of those unfortunate babies who were left outside the door of an orphanage in a basket during a snow storm. Yeah, the people who run this place didn’t have the decency to lie to me about that.

Third, I am very accident prone. Okay, that’s putting it too lightly. I’m an uncoordinated, clumsy blockhead. I’ve broken more dishes than I can count. On a lucky day, I’ll trip only once or twice. You might be thinking that my body is black and blue in bruises, but shockingly, I’ve never even broken a bone. It’s usually the people around me that get hurt, which brings me to number four.

Everyone I meet automatically loathes me. I’ve never had very many friends. Okay - I’ve never had any friends. But I don’t think that’s entirely my fault. I’ve tried to make friends, I really have, but something always happens to make everyone hate me. Don’t believe me? Okay, let me tell you a little story.

I was ten years old, and I had my eye on this really pretty girl. Her name was Elizabeth. She had deep red shiny hair and dark brown eyes. She was the kind of girl that everybody wanted but couldn't have. I finally gathered up the courage to approach her. As I was walking, I slipped and fell right into her. The next thing I knew, we were both on the ground, and I was on top of her.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if we weren’t outside, and if the ground wasn’t muddy, and if she wasn’t wearing a new dress. I was so horrified that all I could do was stare at Elizabeth in shock. It was like I was paralyzed. She started screaming at me to get off of her and fussed over her ruined dress. I tried desperately to apologize but she kept yelling at me.

As a result of this incident, all the girls in the orphanage thought I was a freak who assaulted women. And the boys...well, they just thought I was a freak. Can you see why it would be a little hard to make friends when everybody hates you? You’d think that people would realize it was just an accident, but no, they can’t get over the idea that I supposedly hit a girl. And in a way, that’s kind of Elizabeth’s fault. She had the power to tell everyone it was just an accident, but instead, she told everyone that I pushed her. Talk about an attention-seeking brat. I can’t believe that I ever liked her.

The grown-ups weren’t much better than the kids either. “Troublemaker” was the word they used to describe me behind my back (I eavesdropped a lot). They stared down at me like they smelled something bad whenever I walked by. It was very depressing for four years.

Yes, four years, because shortly after I turned fourteen, I finally made a friend. I’ll tell you the story. Don’t worry, it’s a happy one.

It was midnight, and I, along with the other boys, was soundly asleep. Suddenly there was a loud scream. My eyes jerked open at the sound. I sat up and looked around in confusion, wondering where the scream came from. All the other boys in the dormitory were awake too, staring around the room for the source of the noise.

The scream came again, and I realized it was coming from the girl’s dormitory. I hopped out of bed and followed the other boys out into the hallway. Ms. Aldridge, the bony woman who ran the orphanage, was already there, wearing a bathrobe and a hairnet, barely awake.

“What’s-?” she began dazedly, when she was cut off by another scream. The door to the girl’s dormitory flung open and a hoard of screaming girls streamed out, followed by a very small animal. The girls all cowered behind Ms. Aldridge.

“What’s going on?” she demanded.

Elizabeth, the obnoxious brat, pointed at the animal and squealed, “R-r-rat!”

Ms. Aldridge and the rest of the boys looked down at the tiny, rat-like animal. I bent down and took a closer look at it.

“It’s not a rat,” I said, walking forward and picking it up, “It’s a hamster.”

The other boys all groaned in unified annoyance and walked back into the dorm, eager to get back to sleep. Meanwhile, all the girls stared at me in disgust.

“Ew! I can’t believe you’re touching it!” Elizabeth shrieked.

I rolled my eyes, “It’s not like it’s going to hurt you.”

“I don’t care, it’s disgusting!” she hissed.

“Clover,” Ms. Aldridge finally intervened, “Take it outside and get rid of it.”

I raised my eyebrows, “What do you mean ‘get rid of it’?”

“Drown it in the fountain or something.”

My jaw dropped, “You seriously expect me to-”

“Yes, I seriously expect you to!” she cut me off and glared.

“But it’s just a hamster!” I protested.

“I’m not going to ask you again!” she growled, “Go outside and get rid of it.”

So I had no choice other than to take the brown hamster outside, but I had no intention of “getting rid of it” in Ms. Aldridge's definition. I mean, it was just a hamster for Pete’s sake! I stroked the hamster’s soft fur as I brought it out into the cool night air. It nibbled at my fingers affectionately.

“Now what do I do with you?” I said. I picked the hamster up so that we were face to face. It had a furry white face, dark little eyes and a tiny pink nose. It was adorable. How could they be scared of such a thing? Its whiskers twitched as it sniffed my knuckles curiously.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a cracker, crushing it into crumbs. The hamster eagerly munched away at the snack.

“Wow, you sure like to munch away at those crackers, don’t you?” I chuckled, “Alright then. I’m going to call you Munchie.”

And from that moment on, I finally had a companion. I inconspicuously carried Munchie around in my pocket, feeding him cheese, crackers, biscuits and bread crumbs. I was really amazed at how no one ever seemed to notice the bulge in my pocket. We were inseparable, and I was glad to have a friend, whether it was a human or an animal. Finding Munchie seemed like the only good fortune I ever had.

Unfortunately, that good fortune was short-lived. I was thrown out of the orphanage after I turned fifteen for lighting the kitchen on fire. Long story. Of course, no one would believe me when I said it was an accident. The orphanage thought I was too much of a nuisance to stay there, so they kicked me out. They figured I was old enough to take care of myself now, though I don’t think they really cared about my well being. So I had no choice but to accept my fate, and leave.

Since I had nowhere to live, nowhere to go, and no one who gave a damn, I decided the best thing to do was get a job. I figured it couldn’t be too hard. The village was pretty small, and I’d been around, but I still had no idea where to start. Anyone who was hiring would be looking for someone with skills. I think you’ve read enough about me to know that I have no skills. Still, it was worth a shot.

I wandered the cold streets, looking for a place to start. I began with the bar. I talked to the bartender, Dewey, who seemed like a nice guy. A little on the short side, but he was beefy to make up for it. He was apologetic, saying that he couldn’t afford to hire anyone right now. I had to admit I was disappointed, but my hopes lifted when he told me he heard the bakery was hiring.

I rushed outside and ran to the bakery, and sure enough, there was a big sign in the window that said, “Help Wanted” in large red letters.

Sometimes, kismet happens.

I bolted into the bakery. Inside, I met the baker, Mr. Garrow, who was a little chubby with rosy cheeks, a round nose and a black mustache. I couldn’t see his head because of his chef’s hat, but I could tell he was bald.

We talked a little, and he agreed to hire me as an assistant. I would get paid minimum wage for dusting, washing dishes, et cetera, et cetera. On top of all that, Mr. Garrow said he had an extra room where he lived above the bakery. I couldn’t believe my luck!

And so I was hired. The first few weeks passed by uneventfully. Mostly I swept the bakery after closing hours, cleaned the windows, and wiped the counters. Occasionally, Mr. Garrow told me to keep an eye on the ovens and warn him if the pastries started to burn, but I dared not touch anything.

Sadly, it wasn’t long before my luck began to run out. My clumsiness made itself known within the first month. The first incident was when I knocked over the supplies in the storage closet. Mr. Garrow let it pass without a second thought, but I could tell he was beginning to worry when I broke a flower vase the next day. I really wanted to keep my job, so I tried harder to be less clumsy, measuring my every move as I dusted the furniture and washed the dishes. I was especially careful around the ovens, where it would be more likely for me to cause another fire.

Despite my mindfulness, I couldn’t help it when I tripped over things. One time, I was carrying a tray of dough and tripped over a chair leg. I fell onto the floor and the tray went flying out of my hands. I looked up and was terrified to see that the dough had landed on Mr. Garrow's head. I could practically see the steam coming out of his ears.

I was surprised and relieved when Mr. Garrow let it go and just told me to clean up the mess. I continued to work diligently, but my clumsiness got in the way of doing a good job. As I knocked more brooms over and broke several more vases, I saw that Mr. Garrow was beginning to regret ever hiring me. I knew the only reason he kept me around was for pity’s sake.

Mr. Garrow kept me around for a year before he had finally had enough. I’m pretty sure he was already debating whether or not he should fire me, but it was this incident that made up his mind. Prepare yourselves, this is not a happy story.

It was late evening and the bakery had already closed for the day. I whistled away while I swept the floor, oblivious to the fact the Munchie had crawled out of my pocket and climbed up the shelves. I continued to clean like a clueless idiot. When I was done sweeping the floor, I moved on to dusting the shelves, and that was when I saw Munchie scurrying on a shelf I couldn’t reach. I gasped and dropped the duster.

“Get down here!” I hissed at the hamster.

Munchie ignored me and continued creeping on the shelf, sniffing curiously at the contents. I frantically tried to talk Munchie into coming back down, but my efforts were wasted; Munchie climbed up to the highest shelf.

“Crap!” I said to myself. I grabbed a nearby stool and climbed on top of it. I reached my hands up to Munchie, praying that I wouldn’t fall.

“Come on, Munchie, get down,” I begged.

The hamster went about his business like I hadn’t spoken.

“Alright, alright,” I chided nervously. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a small slice of Gouda cheese, Munchie’s favorite. I waved it at him enticingly, “You want it?”

Munchie stopped crawling abruptly and stared at the cheese in my hand. His whiskers were twitching.

“Mmm, yummy cheese,” I waved it under my nose alluringly.

Munchie swiftly leaped off the top shelf and landed neatly in my hand, eagerly nibbling at the cheese.

A wave of relief washed through me.

“That’s a good hamster,” I said, patting Munchie’s fur. As I started to climb down from the stool, it wobbled slightly, enough for me to lose my balance. I fell back against the wall and crashed into the shelves, sending them careening down onto the front counter, which was made of glass.

I watched in horror as the glass shattered into a million pieces and the cakes and pastries behind it were squashed. Luckily, the glass shards didn’t come near my skin, but I was more worried about Mr. Garrow's reaction when he saw the destruction.

Mr. Garrow lumbered into the room with an alarmed expression. When he beheld the disaster, it looked like he was about to have a heart attack. For a moment he was speechless. I was afraid that he was in a state of shock.

“Mr. Garrow?” I said in small voice.

He slowly turned his head. When he laid eyes on me, his dumbfounded expression turned into one of vitriol. I swallowed. He stomped over to where I was lying on the ground and pulled me up.

That's it! Get out! You're fired, You good-for-nothing lummox!” Mr. Garrow was red in the face with fury.

“But Mr. Garrow…” I pleaded as he dragged me out of the bakery by one ear.

No! I have had enough!” he roared, “I thought I was doing something good when I took you in, but I was wrong!”

I winced at the words. Mr. Garrow threw the door open and flung me out onto the street. He glowered down at me with indignation, “I never want to see you around here again, do you hear me?”

I nodded helplessly, “Yes, sir.”

Mr. Garrow slammed the door shut without a backwards glance. I sat in stony silence, staring at the door. Now what?

Munchie crawled out of my pocket and climbed up onto my shoulder, nibbling at my earlobe. I stroked his fur comfortingly.

“I don’t blame you Munchie. It would have happened sooner or later.” I sighed, “I guess it’s just you and me now.” I got off the ground and brushed myself off, “I could use a drink.”
Last edited by Dreamworx95 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:57 am, edited 19 times in total.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:18 pm
Bishop says...

But, shockingly, I’ve never even broken a bone.

if you want to decrease some of the many comma's you have, just try switching the sentence around, like this.

`But i've never broken a bone, shockingly.'

Other than some run-on sentences with the many comma's, I really didn't see anything more. You can point out the run-on sentences though after you proofread it yourself, just switch some sentences around like I did for you before, that way not so many people won't critique you, and just read.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:40 pm
View Likes
Livinginfantasy says...

This is great! I started taking notes and I realized it would be better to just do this:

Dreamworx95 wrote:I always had the feeling that I was cursed. Bad things just always seem to happen to me. First off, let me start with my name: Clover. What kind of a name is Clover for a boy? Or for a human for that matter? It sounds like a name fit for an elf or a leprechaun, or even a dog. NOT for a human.
Great intro! Not only did it make me chuckle a little, but it really grabs my attention.

Secondly, I am an orphan. My parents didn’t die or anything, at least I don’t think so. You see, I was one of those unfortunate babies who was left outside the door of an orphanage in a basket in the freaking freezing cold. Yeah, the people who run this orphanage didn’t have the decency to lie to me about that.

Thirdly, I am very accident prone…okay, that’s putting it too lightly. I’m an uncoordinated, clumsy blockhead. I’ve broken more dishes than I can count. On a lucky day, I’ll trip only once or twice. You might be thinking that my body is black and blue in bruises. But shockingly, I’ve never even broken a bone. It’s usually the people around me that get hurt, which brings me to number four.
These paragraphs are great, I've fallen for your character already. But I suggest changing the transition words. "Secondly" and "Thirdly" sound like you're writing a 4th grade essay. Instead change it to "Second" and "Third"... so it sounds more like he's making a list.

Everyone I meet automatically loathes me. I’ve never had very many friends….okay; I’ve never had ANY friends. But I don’t think that’s entirely my fault. I’ve tried to make friends, I really have, but something always happens to make everyone hate me. Don’t believe me? Okay, let me tell you a little story.

I was ten years old, and I had my eye on this really pretty girl. Her name was Elizabeth. She had deep red shiny hair and dark brown eyes. She was the kind of girl that everybody wanted but couldn't have. I finally gathered up the courage to approach her. What I didn’t realize was that there was a banana peel right in front of me. It’s like it was placed there deliberately, specifically for me. So I was walking towards her, smiles and all, and suddenly I trip and fall right into her. The next thing I knew, we were both on the ground, and I was on top of her.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if we weren’t outside, and if the ground wasn’t muddy…and if she wasn’t wearing a new dress. I was so horrified that all I could do was stare at Elizabeth in shock. It was like I was paralyzed. She started screaming at me to get off of her and fussed over her ruined dress. I tried desperately to apologize but she kept yelling at me.

As a result of this incident, all the girls in the orphanage thought I was a freak who assaulted women and the boys, well, they just thought I was a freak. Can you see why it would be a little hard to make friends when everybody hates you? You’d think that people would realize it was just an accident but no, they can’t get over the idea that I supposedly hit a girl. And in a way, that’s kind of Elizabeth’s fault. She had the power to tell everyone it was just an accident, but instead, she told everyone that I pushed her. Talk about an attention seeking brat. I can’t believe that I ever liked her.
Awww... poor Clover! I suggest rewriting the first sentence so it's a little clearer for other readers. How 'bout this:
As a result of this incident, all the girls in the orphanage thought I was a freak who assaulted women. And the boys, well... they just thought I was a freak.
Just move around the puncuation is all.

The grown ups weren’t much better than the kids either. “Troublemaker,” was the word they used to describe me behind my back (I eavesdropped a lot). They stared down at me like they smelled something bad whenever I walked by. It was a very depressing for four years.
Remove the comma after "Troublemaker".

The rest was brilliant! I have nothing bad to say... I adore thiis story.
Your characters are very well developed and your description is great. I really felt as if clover was sitting in front of me, telling me his story.
I love this kid... and I love this piece. Please PM if you have anymore... I have to read more.

I've got nothing else to say, thanks for the great read!

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:08 am
Teague says...

**MOVED** to Fantasy Fiction. The identical thread with no replies was deleted. Please only post a thread once in one forum. Thank you.

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:48 am
Clo says...

Heeey!

Or [s]for[/s] a human for that matter?

Don't need it.

NOT for a human

It's best to avoid using caps in stories. This would look much better italicized.

You see, I was one of those unfortunate babies who was left outside the door of an orphanage in a basket during a freaking snow storm

Really cliche concept. I'm not sure that really ever happens - perhaps have his orphanhood be a much more interesting thing?
Also: "I was one of those unfortunate babies who were". Babies is plural, so you must use a plural form of be.

What I didn’t realize was that there was a banana peel right in front of me. It’s like it was placed there deliberately, specifically for me.

Also very cliche. Like a punchline of a joke - should not use a banana peel. It's too cartoonish, try having him trip in some other way. There's innumerable other things for him to trip on.

Talk about an attention seeking brat

Attention-seeking.

“What’s-?” she began dazedly when she was cut off by another scream.

"she began dazedly, when she was"

So I had no choice but to take the brown hamster outside, but I had no intention of “getting rid of it” in Ms. Grouch’s definition.

You use "but" twice here. the first "but" can be replaced with "other than".

I was thrown out of the orphanage after I turned fifteen for lighting the kitchen on fire (long story).

You shouldn't end a sentence like that with long story in parantheses. Make long story it's own sentence.

The orphanage thought I was too much of a nuisance to stay there, so they kicked me out.

Eh, they can't do that - in modern day. If this takes place at another time, then mention it. There's been absolutely no clues in the story yet about what time era this is, and that's something you need to hint at.

Inside, I met the baker, Mr. Baker, who was a little chubby with rosy cheeks, a round nose and a black mustache.

Why would you name the Baker Baker? ^^ Think of a different name, please.

As I knocked more brooms over and broke several more vases,

Why are there vases in a bakery? You need to describe the bakery more if it's the sort to have vases.

It's a very cute story, but you need to rework somethings *points up*. C:

PM me if you have any questions! Thanks for the read!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:34 pm
KJ says...

I only have one major problem with this, otherwise I loved it.

The problem is this: setting. You say that there is no specific time, it's a fairy tale? But you have bars, and bathrobes, and hamsters, and the people all talk like they live in 2008.

You said it was a village? Didn't match up. When I hear the word village, I think rough and hand-made. You know, straw thatches for roofs and wagons, etc. This sounded like a town or something.

Just need to work on the time frame and the setting, is all. Despite it being a fairy tale, you do need to describe the place he lives, the country or whatever. Ella Enchanted, as you referred to it, does describe the cities and Ella's surroundings.

Good luck with editing. I really did enjoy this, by the way. Your MC has a good vibe :) I like the dry humor you used.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:45 pm
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

XD Poor Clover. Nice job with this! It was very funny, and the intro really pulled me in. One thing, though... is that all? Because if this is the end of the story, then your ending wasn't much of a conclusion. But, if there's more, of course (and I hope there is!) then it's fine.

Most of the suggestions I have are grammar-type things...
You see, I was one of those unfortunate babies who were left outside the door of an orphanage in a basket during a freaking snow storm.

I did think this was kind of cliche, but I figured you were aware of that and using this to poke fun at the cliche. Am I wrong? Eh, whatever, it still made me laugh.

So I was walking towards her, smiles and all, and suddenly I trip and fall right into her.

The tense changes here kind of confused me. Should it be "tripped and fell" instead?

You’d think that people would realize it was just an accident but no, they can’t get over the idea that I supposedly hit a girl.

Probably a comma after "accident."

The grown ups weren’t much better than the kids either.

I think "grown-ups" is hyphenated.

I mean, it was just a hamster for Pete’s sake!

Comma after hamster, I think.

Since I had no where to live, no where to go, and no one who gave a damn, I decided the best thing to do was get a job.

"Nowhere" is one word.

Other than that, excellent job! Your protagonist is very likable and easy to identify with, and I love your sense of humor. If there's ever more, I'd like to read it!
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:51 pm
Dreamworx95 says...

Thanks for all the reviews, guys! Mucho appreciato!
Last edited by Dreamworx95 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 pm
Moriah Leila says...

Hmmm. This story is okay. I don't see any real plot except that you talk a lot about how clumsy Clover is. There are quite a few cliches and the only character that I feel is really developed is Clover. Furthermore you don't do a very good job of describing your settings and you need to edit some of your dialouge to fit the time period. I wasn't able to read other's critiques so I apologize if I repeat something that has already been covered.

left outside the door of an orphanage in a basket during a freaking snow storm.

Cliche. Tsk, tsk. Maybe instead of being left outside an orphanage he could be found in a horse stable. And why are parents always leaving their kids in freaking baskets? You could just be swaddled in dirty rags.

What I didn’t realize was that there was a banana peel right in front of me.

A banana peel? Have you ever tried to slip on a banana peel? It doesn't actually work. Have him trip on an untied shoelace or a tree root that sticks out of the ground.

Ms. Grouch, the bony woman who ran the orphanage, was already there, wearing a bathrobe and a hairnet, barely awake.

Sorry but Ms. Grouch reminds me too much of Ms. Hannigan from Annie. Did they have hairnets in mid-evil times? Oh and Ms. Grouch? I thought maybe it was a nickname the kids gave her, but if that is her real name....Please could you be more creative?

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a cracker, crushing it into crumbs.

So does Clover always go to bed with crackers in his pockets? And if he did wouldn't the cracker already be crushed into crumbs? This just seems a bit impractical. Perhaps on his way outside he could pass through the kitchen and steal a piece of bread.

I rushed outside and ran to the bakery, and sure enough, there was a big sign in the window that said, “Help Wanted” in large red letters.

This doesn't seem to match up with your time era. Black letters perhaps but not red letters.

I met the baker, Mr. Baker,

A baker named Mr. Baker? If you need help making up last names I find a phone book is very helpful, make sure you get one with residential listings. Other places you can look for names in general include yearbooks and obituaries.

broke several more vases,

Vases in a bakery?

“Crap!” I said to myself.

This is slang that is way too modern for your story, get rid of it.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a small slice of Guda cheese

I love how this kid just happens to have all this random food in his pockets. I think Guda is supposed to be spelled Gouda.

sending them careening down onto the front counter, which was made of glass.

I don't think bakerys would have glass display cases so instead perhaps you could just have Clover fall into the cakes and pastries. That would be very funny for him to be covered in icing and fruit filling. Plus I'm sure Munchie would love to do clean up duty.

When he laid eyes on me, his shocked expression turned into one of vitriol. I swallowed.

You use the word shock and shocked a lot, suppose you could find a different word? A theasaurus is a great tool. ALso I have no idea what vitriol means.

I think if you took the time to develop your characters, settings, and plot a bit more than you would have a great story. Hope my suggestions helped and I apologize if I was a little harsh.
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:28 am
View Likes
Clo says...

Hey Dream! I totally reviewed this months ago - but I figure I'll review it again, since I get the impression you made changes to this story, and I'll give a more in-depth analysis now.

Thanks to [s]bradsk88, Livinginfantasy, zankoku_na_tenshi and[/s] clograbby for editing tips.

*takes a bow*

I always had the feeling that I was cursed.

Since your story seems to be in the past tense, try to add "have" here: "I've (or I have) always had the feeling that I was cursed".

Or a human, (comma) for that matter? It sounds like a name fit for an elf or a leprechaun, or even a dog. Not for a human.

You see, I was one of those unfortunate babies who were left outside the door of an orphanage in a basket during a [s]freaking [/s]snow storm. Yeah, the people who run this place didn’t have the decency to lie to me about that.

I find the freaking excessive, but the last sentence made me laugh!

Third, I am very accident prone…okay, that’s putting it too lightly.

The ellipses ruin the effect a mere period could have: "Third, I am very accident prone. Okay, that's putting it too lightly". I find that more entertaining to read.

You might be thinking that my body is black and blue in bruises. But shockingly, I’ve never even broken a bone.

You're talking of the same thing, so I see no need for the period after bruises. If you use a comma, it will carry the sarcasm over into the next sentence. "You might be thinking that my body is black and blue in bruises, but shockingly, I've never even broken a bone."

Everyone I meet automatically loathes me. I’ve never had very many friends….okay; I’ve never had ANY friends.

- Everyone who's received many-a review from me before knows I hate ellipses, and in all honesty, they really do detract from sentences. They make me, as a reader, casually loll over to the next part of the sentence, and I don't like that feeling when I'm reading an explanation. Try, "I've never had very many friends. Okay - I've never had any friends."
- Which brings me to the next point: Don't capitalize, italicize. "I've never had any friends."

I finally gathered up the courage to approach her. What I didn’t realize was that there was a banana peel right in front of me.

I know you're going for cliche, but I still find this much, much too cliche. Cliche use in storylines is usually humorous, yet your tone doesn't seem to carry the humor for the majority of this storyline. If you want to use cliches like this (perhaps not quite this - I guess I have a dislike of banana cliches), try to add even more sarcasm and wit into this story. Without that, the banana peel cliche is merely awkward and makes the reader tilt their head, since it is typically a joke for a very young audience.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if we weren’t outside, and if the ground wasn’t muddy…and if she wasn’t wearing a new dress.

For instance here the tone would sound more sarcastic if you ditch the ellipses.

The grown-ups weren’t much better than the kids either. “Troublemaker” was the word they used to describe me behind my back (I eavesdropped a lot). They stared down at me like they smelled something bad whenever I walked by. It was very depressing for four years.

Ms. Grouch, the bony woman who ran the orphanage, was already there, wearing a bathrobe and a hairnet

Again, the strangeness and unoriginality of this name bothers me. It doesn't come across as funny - perhaps, if you had a wittier name that we could apply to her appearance, but as it is - we don't even know her, but we can assume she's a grouch. It would be funny if she was in actuality a very sweet person. Or if you named her "Ms. Smiles" and she was a total grouch.

“[s]I don’t what they were so scared of,” I muttered, remembering how the girls squealed in fright when they saw the little hamster, “You don’t even look dangerous.[/s]”

This sentence isn't really necessary, as your previous sentences already said this.

I was really amazed at how no one ever seemed to notice the bulge in my pocket.

Did you mean for this sound dirty? If you did, you could expand upon it by making some innocent jokes - if not, then I'm sorry for having a dirty mind. ^^

I bolted into the bakery. Inside, I met the baker, Mr. Baker, who was a little chubby with rosy cheeks, a round nose and a black mustache.

Eh, I really don't get the use of cliches. *shrugs* If you still wish to use them, I say add more sarcasm and wit. At this point in the story, I'm finding the cliches the way they are do not work in your favor because they come across as very corny.

We talked a little, and he agreed to hire me as an assistant. I would get paid minimum wage for dusting, washing dishes, etcetera, etcetera.

I'm almost positive you spell et cetera wrong.

Mostly I swept the bakery after closing hours, cleaned the windows, and wiped the counters. Occasionally, Mr. Baker told me to keep an eye on the ovens and warn him if the pastries started to burn, but I dared not touch anything.

His name being Baker makes us see the word baker/bakery quite a lot - it's best not to be so repetitive in writing.

“Alright, alright,” I chided nervously. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a small slice of Guda cheese

Gouda is my favorite cheese! And spelled Gouda. And I feel this scene is taking much too long - the scene is only him coaxing a hamster down, so it really shouldn't be this long.

“THAT’S IT! GET OUT! YOU’RE FIRED, YOU GOOD-FOR-NOTHING LUMMOX!” Mr. Baker was red in the face with fury.

No caps! No caps! Italics.

SETTING
This story seems very empty and I trace this to your lack of setting. I know you say where your character is most of the time, but there are no real descriptions of where this orphanage is, where this town is, or what any of it really looks like. Right now, your character Clover is moving about, noticeable, in a 2D world that we can barely see at all. So we put a lot of attention on your Clover character, but that detracts from his interactions with his environment, since I find I'm mostly with his thoughts and not his actions.

Anyway, I'll read on and see how the cliches and tone works for this story.

PM me with questions! I'll get to your next part next chance I get.

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:02 am
blair93 says...

j'amie beaucoup. lol this kid is so funny.but i think he talks alot for an outsider with no friends.he has a lot of storys.maybe you should do a bit on his apprence and surrandings?i like the story about the girl.may you should hadd more detail in the storys he has
<foreverblair> ~in the words of david bowie.. "i'll be there for you,when the world falls down"~

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:33 pm
RayneChild says...

This was fantastic! I loved it!
Like a few other people mentioned, there is no setting for this story. When I read it, I though of 18th century London-ish, but I have no idea what you were going for when you wrote it.
Other than that, it's really good! I liked the comedy aspect of it, haha. Very funny. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, which I'm not sure if that's what you were going for, but that's what I was doing ;) I enjoyed it a lot, and I can't wat it read the other chapters :)
Maybe I'm just a little slow, or maybe I should read the rest of the chapters before I say this, but I didn't quite pick up on why he's cursed. I understand that he's clumsy as a result of it, but maybe you should go into a little more detail as far as explaining why he's cursed. I dunno. Maybe it's just me.
Anyway, very good job :)
Singing: It's more than my forte; it's my fortissimo
---
They say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:15 pm
mimimac says...

I enjoyed reading ALL of that! It's very captivating, like it makes you feel as if the character is talking to YOU! Clover's personality is hilarious, how bad things always happen to him even though they are not his fault and everyone thinks they are! Also how he is so accident prone! (personally i can relate to that) The only thing I would like to point out is that it seemed that there were ALOT of stories he had to tell... Also about the setting... I got the feeling that it was set in the olden times because of how he was just kicked out of the orphanage and left to fend for himself!
Amazing job on the whole!
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:16 pm
MilaScribbler says...

Yo!

My friend mimimac suggested this preview so thought I would give it a shot....
Okay so i know that since u edited it so many times this may sound annoying but:

i think u should make the Clover-Munchie friendship a little more detailed, don't overdo it, but make Munchie a little more affectionate to his master.
Also: the 'little story' parts are a little repetitive.

(this is personal opinion now --- start the story with a little more action to captivate any not-so-eager readers' attention -- I am talking about the people who hate reading and are forced to read by their teachers and parents and read about a page a day - (example my annoying brother) a sad fact of life - )

Other than that the story very good read...promising and it makes you feel for poor Clover

Keep it up!

Yours Sincerely,

Emily
A.K.A
MilaScribbler
The written word is like a piece of soft clay: you can twist it and shape it the way you want...

keep writing guys! :P

Reviews: 2
Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:58 pm
Annabeth says...

Poor Clover! such bad luck...
You said they live in a village? it dosen't seem like it, what with the glass counters, 2 level buildings, ovens, and hairnets. does this have a specific time?
Munchie should show a little more kindness to Clover. Clover does feed him, after all.
Easy reading is damn hard writing
-Nathaniel Hawthorne

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch