Young Writers Society

Elemental the revised adition

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:36 am
piepiemann22 says...

Ding, ding, ding.
"Got to make it before the final bell."
A young boy ruining down the street just barely makes it into the school courtyard before the final bell.
"Made it Jason, but just barely. Your lucky son," says a man walking toward Jason. "Here's your slip."
"Thank you," says Jason out of breath. He takes the slip.
"What made you so late in the first place?"
Jason stands up straight, "Sorry, no time. I'll tell you later. See ya."
Jason runs off towards the school and stops in front of the entrance. "Forest Middle School, what a crap hole." He enters the school and starts walking down the hallway. The only sound that can be heard is the soft tap of his red and white sneakers. He stops in front of room 102. He knocks, than enters.
"Aw, Mr. Roberts, do you have a pass?" Asked an old lady.
"Yes I do Ms. Withers." Jason hands her his slip. Then moves to his seat in the back of the classroom. Shortly after he takes his seat Ms. Withers starts to talk.
"Today is the due date for your poems, would anyone like to share. Jason how about you."
"Me. I didn't rise my hand. So wh....," but he's cut short by his teacher.
"Get up here now," she says.
Jason stairs her in the eye and gets a bad feeling. A shiver runs up his spine.
"Today Mr. Roberts, today!"
Jason stands up and walks to the front of the room. He turns and faces the class. He closes his eyes.
"Darkness shall grow,
binding the heart and engulfing the soul.
Light shall fade,
all hope is lost,

I'm not done yet, but I'm all out of time.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:24 pm
vamplord12 says...

you really need to get going on your book i would like to read it as soon as you finish it. i want to be the first one to read it! so you better finish it quick.
there is no such thing as good and evil, there is only power...

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:13 pm
Poor Imp says...

Hello there Pie --

You're rushing like a madman through the entire thing. Dialogue, brief action - there, you've got notes or filled-out outlining of a story.

But what's a reader to do with it? You haven't left the time to show who your characters are, where they are, or what they might be doing and why. We get a glimpse of it like a speeder gets a glimpse of a speed-trap as he flies past on the road.

You have scraps then, of a complete story. Put it together. ^_^

Ding, ding, ding.
"Got to make it before the final bell."
A young boy ruining down the street just barely makes it into the school courtyard before the final bell.
"Made it Jason, but just barely. Your lucky son," says a man walking toward Jason. "Here's your slip."

Above, rushing - try to slow down enough to insert background. It needn't go on for hours. But who has this 'young boy' been? Why in the devil's name is he running late? Is he usually late...?

Take what you have and go through as if you had to explain it to someone who'd never heard of anything remotely like it. It should help.

IMP ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:35 pm
piepiemann22 says...

okay, I'll keep that in mind.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:04 pm
Esmé says...

I understand that this is after a correction? :) I would not like to just copy what Poor Imp said, lol.

I'll be writing the comment as I read, but I've noticed something that your writing lacks: formating. It really is easier for the reader if there are spaces...

quote:
He stops in front of room 102. He knocks, than enters
I think you wanted to write 'then' here

quote:
Asked an old lady.
says a man.
Why don't you describe them? I mean, teh main character knows them, because he tells us who they are... Why use the above form?

I think that you have not enough descriptions here. At some points I find myself lost...

This was a really short piece. I am sorry to say that I did not like it. You were rushing wayyy to fast, being 'out of time' is no explanation. Why are you posting if you are out of time?

Also, instead of 'keeping in mind' what Poor Imp said (I just realized) why don't you try it? Again, I felt totally lost.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:06 pm
Swires says...

viewtopic.php?t=12297&highlight=

I think that is the new version - Which I have to say is much better than this utter crap you first posted.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor