z

Young Writers Society

Borrowing Is for Losers

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm
crescent says...

Spoiler! :
Your story is about a secretary in Fairyland borrowing a pencil.
I don't think I like my story... What are your thoughts?

I stood there perplexed, uncertain of my whereabouts or how I'd gotten here. And all that mattered now was this moment, as he, his exotic features, and the pencil inched closer and closer until the space that had and always would separate us was nonexistent. It was perfect, too perfect just like everything else here.

I never liked taking notes, not since it became part of my job. My mother had always said to me when I was younger and less wrinkled and blemished, "You ought to do what you love." I guess she didn't think about the old adage, "Don't turn something you love into work." Before my job, I used to love to do secretarial type of stuff. My handwriting had never been superb, but it was legible, the slanted cursively type doctors have. I adored letters though, and as a child I even went as far as to learn shorthand and also take a calligraphy class. I was a neat freak with my color coded folders, tabs, and post-it notes. The only thing that was ever out of place was my pens. They were all handcrafted with a woody, earthy feel that soothed me. I didn't own a pencil, because why would anyone write something they didn't mean and I didn't believe in mistakes because I made none.

"Tat, I need a pencil stat," Stan, the lawyer I worked for, said. Paralytic fear festered within me, tying my organs into a mess of intertwining knots.
"Pencil?" I repeated.
"Yes, Tat, a pencil. You know the little wooden cylinder shaped things with graphite inside of them? Get me one of those or you're fired."
No comment. Stan was not the negotiable type, and thus I left the building to run to the nearest store.

It hurt. I had obstructed a pedestrian running down the street, but he smiled at me, a goofy smile that irked me.
"Pencil? Really?" he laughed. WTF? How did he know about that? I didn't have a sign over my head that said "pencil-less secretary in need of one right now or she'll no longer have a job". Maybe I should have been more attentive at that time as a needle pricked me and a sharp searing pain jotted throughout my body.
“I’ll show you a real pencil, Tatiana,” he whispered as I lost my perception of the world.

It was perfection. A perfect yellow hexagonal prism with number two lead at the center and a pink eraser at the top, but it was someone else’s, in the clutches of a blue spindly hand. The hand’s owner winked at me and slide his fingers though his green flower-infested hair.
“I told you I’d show you a real pencil.”
“So can I have it?” I asked, my eyes glued on the prize.
“For a price of course.” He leaned forward to tell me the secret. Impulsively, I snatched that wooden treasure as soon as his lips began to trace my ear and began running.
“Borrowing is for losers!” I yelled. Did I mention that I’m snarky?
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 pm
tgirly says...

That's a really tough writing promp, but you did a good job with it. My only criticism is there's not enough about being in Fairyland, since that's part of the prompt, I think it should be more obvious. Other than that, nice job :)
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:25 pm
View Likes
thegilliangill says...

Howdy there!

I think this is really good and cleverly written!

Just a few nitpicks

In my opinion never start a sentence with 'and'. Just my opinion but it weakens the literature.
And all that mattered now was this moment, as he, his exotic features,

You repeat and too much here.
My mother had always said to me when I was younger and less wrinkled and blemished,

I think you mean age here.
I guess she didn't think about the old adage

I don't think that you need the 'because' here.
I didn't own a pencil, because why would anyone write something they didn't mean and I didn't believe in mistakes because I made none.

'Wtf'? That's sort of text language...
"Pencil? Really?" he laughed. WTF? How did he know about that? I didn't have a sign over my head that said "pencil-less secretary in need of one right now or she'll no longer have a job".

Other than that this is very good. Just proof read it. :)

Well done
~TheGillianGill~

There's a bright light, see it in the distance? It's called your future.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 am
ZannaShepherd says...

Ok, I think you did a good job here, but I really have no idea where this is happening or what the main character is supposed to look like or be, not sure what or who a snarky is. judging by the earlier comments, this was a story written from a prompt, so I'm probably just out of the loop.
In order to write about life, first you must live it!

Ernest Hemingway

Hmm, must be why I only write fantasy, that's the only life I've ever lived.
~Zanna

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence