571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:12 pm
Esmé says...

The Queen’s Family

18th Watershone,
38th year of the Phoenix
Time present

“My story begins when that of your family ends…” The voice quoting those words was drastically different from Tanerah’s booming, conspiring tones. It was low, musical, and rather filled with bitterness and irony than bursting with melodramatics that so characterized seer. Tanerah's enthusiastic, self-assured manner would seem more at place than that of the young woman, whose dark thoughts were inevitably sinking deeper and deeper as she walked the long path of the King's passage. The figure flinched, hoping that that small sign of weakness would go unnoticed, but at the same time uncomfortably aware that that was impossible: they were their, all their eyes and attention on her and only her…

Many dreamed to be in her, Lillith’s, position, not quite sure what it meant, but were informed with on what came next: power. There where times when it was she herself who prayed to be where she was now… -But then... then those wishes where only daydreams on a boring lesson, without the slightest glimmer of hope that they were to someday come true.

The figure winced despite herself, knowing that it was because of those ‘many’ that she was where she was: Irianne… Enerin… Lyssene…. She closed her eyes and told herself firmly to stop thinking about those people. This was neither the moment, nor the place, that was for sure. –Especially the place.

The sixteen year old shuddered, resolutely making herself concentrate on the trees, animals, on nature in its purest form. –Animals? There were no animals. -Tonight, on this night only, they where all somewhere hidden, angry at the presence of strangers and waiting to be called with their guardians. The woman stifled a laugh, feeling panic rise up in her. What was there to laugh about? Determinedly, Lillith told herself to ignore the eerie, unnatural silence, the fact that the vapor that just a while ago was barely noticeable, now expanded to the size of a milky-white mist. She also tried to cast out of her memory and consciousness that numerous pairs of eyes observed her wearily, those of the people perched on the growing in direct neighborhood Pathway and looming over her trees, at a safe distance of her. There they where, all her nobles, all her friends and enemies, a whole variety of foreign envoys whose rulers had given them the task to represent them at the ceremony… There they where, the silhouettes of studied, blank faces, perfectly mindful that on each step she was getting close to either their greatest fear or final peace of mind…

What would happen, she suddenly wondered, if she won’t pass, if she wasn’t accepted by the Forest? The stubborn thought, so long cast out of her mind, came back at the slightest sign of the faltering of her will. What would happen if she died, or worse, came back with a crushed psychic, if the forest made her go insane? Her people would remember her as the younger sibling of her older sister, as the one who gained the most through the fight of Areinod’s heirs, as they where commonly called. She would be remembered as a person who had a chance, but was unable to use the occasion, toppling the country for the second time in ten years into a home war, leaving it on the mercy of her power-crazed nobility and the land-thirsty Korint Empire.

-She could still turn back.

She could, couldn’t she? The woman looked down at the most innocent-looking forest pathway, at the common mud soiling her shoes. Lillith turned her gaze upwards, up to her doom. The large, ancient oak that made the center of Ruthon Forest was getting closer and closer, its branches unnaturally still, though the comforting breeze that had so relaxed her a while ago turned into something stronger. Much stronger.

No, she couldn’t.

She was just to close to back up now. Were the myriad of sacrifices made not only by her, but by people who counted on her, had faith in her, meant to be ignored by history? Were her own actions, whether positive or negative, to be left without response? Was the death of Lyssene, as the ones of countless people before her, to be disregarded?

Every step was becoming harder and harder; weather it was the fault of her weakening by every second will or because of the cursed red ceremonial gown that effectively limited her moves, the woman didn’t know. Once again she spared a quick glance at her sides: there they where, sitting comfortably on both sides of the Pathway, hid under the enormous trees that consisted of the Ruthon Forrest, hid so flawlessly, that only their eyes glinted in the darkness. Spies who called themselves envoys, here under pretext to pay tribute to her when this was over, watching her every move, her every falter, trying to decide whether she was to be they prey or the predator for their rulers. They sat amongst her nobility, her private allies and enemies, all whose future was to resolve in a few minutes... On occasion such as these Lillith was willing to accept Aereinod’s heirs’ decision to ignore this part of the coronation.

-But she… she could not go in their steps. She could not commit their mistake. She had to secure her position, make sure that no one would have the right to question her being on the throne. After all, wasn’t that what she did to Lyssene?

-And did she deserve any better?

-My lady?- Athani and Isothath suddenly appeared at both of her sides. The girl winced and made herself look upwards: the moment she dreaded and that made her wake up with a shrill scream in the middle of the night was so very, very close…

-My lady?- repeated Athani. In the Magemasters’s usually cool, unnaturally calm voice appeared a note of well-hidden urgency.

The center of all the commotion flinched in spite of herself when she looked in Athani’s eyes. They where hard and cold, seeming to peer into her soul, as if they could see her every fear and dread. Isothath’s gaze was not better, icy beads of eyes looking down at her with mild interest, as if she where another uncommon animal in the Palace Zoo. Maybe she was. Gods help her, for them she probably was.

-Yet they helped her. Helped her prepare, gave her advice… Why? Why did they do it? Certainly not because they had to; during Irianne’s, and later Enerin’s and Naellorah’s reign they just disappeared from public view, ignoring pleas and private demands to go back to court. During Lyssene’s rule, however… The woman took a deep breath, grinding her teeth, thinking about how it was the Magemasters’ that assisted her when see needed her sister out of the way.

Lillith shivered and closed her eyes.

She turned her gaze away and made herself give a curt nod, clenching her hand into fists so hard that her nails cut through her skin.

She reached the Oak, the Heart of Aevlyth. There was no return now. Magical bonds of the Forest’s power rooted her to her spot, making it impossible to make the slightest move. A precaution?

She bit her lip as she heard the two Magic’s fall into some kind of a trance, chanting words in the Lost Tongue, words which even for her emanated with power and strength. The words steadily grew louder, from a whisper to tones that seemed to echo in the whole of Ruthon Forest.

The Magemasters’, hand to hand, closed their eyes, calling everyone who swore in blood or soul the Oath made hundreds of years ago. Brother and sister once again repeated their summons, at which time the audience made up of nobles and envoys discretely backed out to a safer distance, to the place where magical portals where stationed. The party, at a sign from the Magemasters’, would go through them back to Avhydlyi and the Palace, to await the arrival of the hopefully new Queen.

At some point the two mages stopped chanting and started drawing glittering in the moonlight magical borders. They starter to separate themselves from the getting more and more giddy with every passing moment woman, who was in vain trying not to look as nervous as she was. -Years of hiding emotions crushed, shattered into pieces in the face of Ruthon and its inhabitants.

Slowly, in hushed voices, the Forest answered. -Answered through the singing lips of half-mortals, through dryads which inhabited and protected the trees, through nymphs who looked after numerous pools and lakes, through spirits who cared for the soil and animals. Humming the ancient song sang from the earliest ages, the Forest re-established pacts given hundreds of years ago.

They, the Living Forest, emerged from the shadows of trees, barely stomping on emerald green grass and leaving no footprints on the damp soil, a ceremony of animals in their stead. They came as part milky white mist, so that barely their silhouettes and shining large eyes, some childishly naďve while others with a mischevious glint in them could be seen; others materialized out of perfectly solid tree trunks, first as colorless outlines of pale faces and whitish attire that at the next moment were to be astonishingly colored by an outstanding mixture of greens, browns, red, oranges and yellows. Intelligent, observant eyes gazed from under ebony black or auburn red hair, with aureoles of leaves and acorns attached to the more wild curls. Water nymphs, effortlessly swimming towards the bank of the Yellow Lake, placed directly behind the Heart, watch seemingly without interest, if not with indifference. Though only a only some where chosen to be present at the gathering, the now shining brightly moon made few turn into many by mirroring their slender figures in the green murky waters. Dazzlingly tinted slim tails ended with a webbed fin flicked in greeting as they exchanged unspoken welcomes among each other. The presence of those, who could not be seen by mortal or half-mortal eyes, but who guarded and protected Ruthon, was felt by everyone in attendance as a slight shudder down the backbone or cool breeze which was followed by some kind of warmth.

Among them settled the animals and part animals. Grayish wolves with eerie yellow pupils contented themselves by sitting in packs off to one side, eyeing the shining white orb of the full moon, whereas cunning golden-brown foxes showed no interest in their own race whatsoever and scarcely bothered a curt nod at one another. Darting quick glances everywhere with much too big for them acorns in paws where squirrels, feeling for once safe on the forest floor. Their companions, chipmunks and rabbits, talked animatedly, gesticulating vigorously. Bats, flapping their wings noisily while flying from one group to another, at the same time performed acrobatic shows, earning themselves applauses and praises from the jamboree below. Silent owls balanced on the more lonesome branches, from where they had a good view on everything. Fauns and werewolves, the latter with haunted black eyes stood as still as stones, while chirping birds, colorful nightingales among them, perched comfortably on them. Other, some bloodcurdling whilst others hilarious in presence, indescribable beings leaned casually on the massive trees, while some preferred to stand or sit somewhere, where they could be barely seen.

This was a night of peace and tranquility, nothing differed prey and victim, both of whom savored the humanity which they had willingly relented for roughly carefree and untroubled by human burdens lives. Friendships, which normally had no means of succeeding, where being tied with doubled strength – everyone was squabbling friendlily, conversing, and getting up to date with the spiciest news before the coming of dawn when life came back into its normal cycle.

Slowly, the Magemasters’, apparently feeling that they had done their task, withdrew back to the aristocrats and emissaries with complete calmness, the opposite state of in which was the young woman standing in the middle of the myriad of creatures.
They left.

The curtain, separating her from the outer world was drawn, and it was not in her power to open it. Lillith appeared to be the only elve in the whole, dark Ruthon Forest, with currently no means of changing the situation.

–Everything is going to be fine, - she muttered to herself under her breath. –Everything is going to turn out just fine…-

Automatically, as always when speaking to more than to people, she straightened and took a deep breath. She had the feeling that something was supposed to happen, that she was to wait for something. –But what was that something? Nothing was happening, and the animals in the woods continued to ignore her, while the half-mortals stared at her with some kind of polite interest and…. What was it? -Amusement?
-Eh… Excuse me…- No one paid any notice to her. –Excuse me!-

A few heads turned towards her, some with genuine surprise, as if they had not realized she was there. A badger elbowed his neighbor, a raccoon, a little too hard, and in consequence the latter toppled over. Before the event had a chance to turn into a regular first, or rather paw fight, one of the dryads flowed over, smiling kind of… eerily. The two animals at once started to behave themselves.
As all expectant eyes where on her, all of the sudden, a strange feeling overwhelmed her… As if something had gone terribly wrong, not at all as it was supposed to… The animals and half-mortals seemed to sense it to, because as if on command they stopped talking, squabbling and chattering, -or most of them, at least. Even in the most hallow eyes of the water nymphs appeared a spark of interest, masking a flash of fear. Noiselessly, everyone stood up to attention, not knowing what was happening. The unnatural silence hung in midair for a stretched into minutes second or two, before the coming of a cracking thunder. As light from the bolt unusually slowly reached even the darkest corners of Ruthon, the racket of an uproar began.

In the myriads of howling, screeching, shrieking, woofing, yowling, barking, yelling, chirping, hissing, roaring, growling, snarling and hooting, a laughter sounded, its source nowhere to be seen, echoing from tree to tree, making branches swish and crawl down the spine. Mirthless, it had a tinge of… evilness to it, though it did not appear to be angry, rather… pleased. The howling, screeching, shrieking, woofing, yowling, barking, yelling, chirping, hissing, roaring, growling, snarling and hooting stopped at once.

On the sky, between the shining for four two moons and shimmering with double strength stars, a face of a woman appeared. –No, it was not a woman. The features where much too beautiful and sharp for any mortal or half mortal, and the expression of outward mischievousness harmonized with black, ever-deep glittering eyes that showed cunningness and calculating more than anything less. -One would be a fool to look for pity, mercy, warmth, or kindness in them.
Slowly, out of the darkness, the coming nearer and nearer figure was becoming more and more recognizable. Soon, the outline of a slim frame of a beautiful she-demon could be seen, with sleek, ebony black hair and bat-like, wide-spanned wings in the color of the dead night, ended at the top corners with what looked liked shinning in the moonlight blades. -Very, very sharp blades. Her long, swishing behind her tail also was ended thus.

As she landed and folded her wings, Lenori, Goddess of the Night and Wrath, Mother of all Demons gave a gracious, if not apathetic nod, as if granting her leave to the assembly of mortal and half mortals. They, in return, muttered their respects while as quickly as possible dashing towards their homes. No one wanted to stay in the presence of Lenori for a moment longer than it was needed. Not that they would say that directly. The known for her high temper goddess could react rashly. Werewolves and other examples of darker beings who had a mind of their self lingered a bit longer, but they too vanished hastily, wanting to disappear from the she-demons sight. –Besides, their god was Avineus.
The goddess waited patiently for everyone to disappear, furrowed thin lines of brows at some earth sprite who decided that Lenori’s arrival was worth the risk that represented eavesdropping on the immortal. After the sprite, as the last, hurriedly disappeared from view, the goddess turned her attention to the stoned Lillith.

-Ah, and here is charming little Einellith, if I am correct. So nice to finally meet you, darling! I’m honored. The last time I saw you, you were still in your cradle! Yes…- the demon examined her for a moment, cocking her head of to one side,nevertheless doing it elegantly. Her voice, loud and clear, with a bit of a hiss in it, was just like her laugh, -dangerous. The same voice led to doom individuals and whole kingdoms, at its every whim and pout where countless of her children. -You are so the daughter of your mother. Yes… Sanilorrah was such and interesting mortal.- Something in Lenori’s ice-cold eyes made Lillith stop herself from contradicting Lenori that her mother was in fact a half-mortal, and asking what on Addi’s Kingdoms did Sanilorrah have to do with the known mostly for her wild temper goddess of the night?

-Thank you, my Lady…- Lily stammered out, fighting with all her mind the urge to take a step back, at the same time thinking feverishly. Lenori’s whole person made one start to stammer and stutter, to forget what one originally wanted to say. Strength and power emanating from her made everyone feel smashed, small, and unimportant. –Might I ask why you-

-Why I am here? Quite a surprise, isn’t it? You see,- continued Lenori, -I’ve taken a liking to you. No, don’t be so terrified, - called out the goddess-demon, seeing her petrified expression. She smiled with what she clearly though to be a earnest and motherly like smile. The general effect was destroyed by small, sharply ended teeth, two of them a bit longer than necessary –I’m not that bad. Well, unless you vex me. Then I’m worse.-

-That was not an answer to Lillith’s question. What was Lenori doing here? Why was she meddling in the affairs of Aevlyth?

-Addi agreed on granting us a hideout from the nosey glares of my so called family, however far such connections are, - she smirked, -where we can have a small chitchat. You agree, of course?- Without waiting for a response, Lenori reached out to her, and, grasping Lillith’s and in her own, she expanded her wings to full length and flew back into the night sky, with the half-mortal in her clutches.

---

1st of Airflamed
23rd year of the Phoenix
Diaries recovered from Naesaen Fires

I was born as princess Einellith, youngest daughter of Oethon and Sanilorrah. I also had an older sister, Lyssene, but of her I will write later.

My parents died when I was three, so I barely remember them. All I know about them comes from the memories of other people. They say that he was tall and dark, always with a mischievous glint in his eye and a royal manner about him, while my mother was tall and slim with the sharpest temper around. They say that my parents where an ambitious pair, because even though as cousins of the King they held a high position at court, they always wanted more: more money, higher status, new titles… -They wanted more of everything. They where just too ambitious for their own good, as it later turned out.

For years everyone told me that they died by the cause of some disease in the Korint Empire, where they went as Aereinod’s envoys. I accepted that version without comment, simply because even though they where who they where to me, I felt indifference towards them, if not nothing. For me they were scarcely silhouettes of people, forms of myths and forgotten memories. I never gave them a spare thought, if I could help it. I just didn’t care. My world was Forlin and then later Ravenlair, my governess and my servants and their children, with an occasional visit from Lyssene. It was the latter who cared for my finances and made sure I had everything that I needed. I think that over years I made up some kind of picture of her, a picture of what I wanted her to be. I suppose that she loved me in some way, I was her only family, but when the stakes in the game equaled the throne, even family didn’t matter. My picture contrasted with the one of the reality. –But of that later.

You see now my parents meant nothing to me. The feeling turned into some kind of amusement when I found out that it was them who stated this whole circus, this rat’s race for the throne. They of course did not die by disease, though they did end their days in the Korint Empire. I imagine what the Emperor felt when he found out that a fire broke out in my parent’s chambers. -No, not in my parent’s chamber, but in the chamber of important envoys of Aevlyth.

To this day I do not know how Areinod did it. I assume that he set the fire by the Magemasters’ help, though he was very cautious not to leave any trail that would connect him with Oethon’s and Sanilorrah’s deaths, though when Isothath and Athani come in that is obvious. –Nothing but gossip about how two of the King’s biggest problems disappeared just after they went out of favor because they did something that the King, who closed an eye on everything else, could not ignore.

-But the unanswered question remained: what had they done? Speculation from tries of murdering the King in some way or of them allying themselves with the enemy county of Dynav where at no end and did not stop on the wildest of images; the scene seen by solely a manservant of my parents being practically thrown out of the King’s personal room after an hour long private audience inscribed itself deeply into the pages of Aevlythian history, though by the cause of the mentioned above manservant it remained private not one minute longer than it took him to discreetly pass the hall to the servant’s room. It was rumored that some lady was so positively delighted at the news that she started the loud wave of applause at some party or another, into which joined in most of the nobles that made Aereinod’s court. My parent were not well liked.

The public version was that Korintian demonstrators protesting against an allegiance with Aevlyth, with the help of some mage or other, just got rid of their main problem. Some unfortunate man, a baker, I think, was publicly hanged on the gallows under the charge of setting with premeditation a fire in which two people died , while his ‘associates’, under the same accusation, died not long after in the dampest of the dungeons of the Korintian Castle. -Poor fellows.

I feel no grudge towards Areinod; I suppose that he had to do it. Everyone would choose that option in his position. -Everyone should. I would, at least, and every sensible ruler will probably share my opinion. I would kill them ten times and ten years before if that would help prevent the events that would later take place. Twenty, if need be.

-As I said, my parents where very ambitious. Always aiming high, stopping at nothing, ignoring risks, they set off scandal by scandal, but as they were Aereinod’s favorites, on whom the King always look down at with some kind of mild amusement, they where untouchable, and of that immunity they made good use.

Well, one day they stepped a step too far: they where not contended with a dukedom, they where not contented with the privileges that came with being a member of the Royal Family. They where not satisfied solely because of the fact that there was someone above them, someone who at any moment could say stop and then they would have to stop whatever they where doing.

A couple years later after their death, thirteen years later, to be exact, two months before my coronation, I found out that the most popular of the rumors that made my parents a living legend was true.

Murder. Poison, to be exact.

Ah… Here starts the tale of my so ever charming family. A fascinating and mesmerizing lot, with me among them, to say the truth. –So deadly fascinating.

Coming back to the topic, my parents came to the conclusion that life would be better without the ever butting in Areinod. I have no idea what role played by sister, of course not in the murder itself but the giving out in handfuls evidence of our parent’s guilt. -Knowing her, it was a big one. After all, she did inherit a dukedom and remained in the King’s good graces, which was a big accomplishment, considering the consequences. –Areinod usually banished the whole family if he found out during his long rule (three hundred years) that someone was trying their wits at playing a traitor.

So, my dear parents decided on using aehr, which was a rare plant known, among others, for it’s immediately results in the form of death poison. I should add that the only place where the aehr grows is the Lightgrove gardens. Ironically enough, the plant is also one of the many symbols of the Royal Family. –And they were supposed to be immune to it, as legend tells.

And so, after some time of preparation, my parents decided to act. –But the worked on for months plan, which included seemingly every unexpected event, did not anticipate one: that the King already knew. -Or guessed. I don’t know, it doesn’t really matter.
-Lyssene’s doing I should add. One does not need much intelligence to deduce that. Also, papers found in my sister’s study left no space for doubt.

My parents of course declined that they had anything to do with the ‘ghastly idea’, as my mother called it, and as the aehr mysteriously disappeared, there where no means of calling them on trial. As they where of Royal Blood, they had the right to not answer question under truth spells. Though out of favor, out of Aereinod’s good graces, they were still untouchable. So they where sent to the Korint Empire.

Where a fire broke out. Where and when nothing and no one could connect their death with Areinod.
You, my reader, might ask what happened to the vanished aehr. Truthfully, I do not know. –But what I do know for sure, is that the same aehr was used to poison the same king seven years later. Well, Irianne always had an imagination.

Even today, when I wake up in the dead of the night, savoring the only moment that I have for myself, questions of what would have happened if my father and mother hadn’t done it, hadn’t tried poison the King.

-Yes, what would have happened then?

---

18th Watershone,
38th year of the Phoenix
Time present

-Cheers!- called Lenori from the end of the breathtakingly food-laden table. Lillith, uneasily sitting on the other table awkwardly returned the toast of some red-colored liquid which was certainly not wine. After a minute of consideration, she decided not to ask what it was.

The journey to ‘Addi’s enclosure’, as Lenori called the place, was for Lillith one heavy, hazy mist. The only thing she remembered was soaring with Lenori through a maze of colors and feelings, from times of anguish to outright happiness, the latter at which she felt the she-demon shudder slightly.

-And then… Then came an emptiness, a purposelessness which escorted her to the end, when she suddenly appeared in this… place. Lillith did not know how and when exactly, but at one point she found herself being invited by Lenori to take a seat, though she could not recall the moment of landing and hearing the lack of the rhythmical beat of flapping wings.

However they got here, the goddess and she where sitting in a beautiful large chamber, in which everything was black. Black walls with no seen exit were draped in some kind of black material, on which here and there where placed a few black chandeliers with equally black as scarce candles, even whose flame had a dark tint to itself. Lillith found that if she looked for too long at the cloth, a light-headedness started to overwhelm her.

The numerous, stacked on each other black carpets and rugs made of an unknown material covered a shiny black marble floor, in which the young woman could see her own reflection. In the centre of the chamber stood a massive table surrounded by twelve chairs. Black plates, goblets and utensils glittered against the background of a black tablecloth, while on the center of it, on black platters, trays and dishes a mouthwatering variety of foods were exhibited and laid on display, from nkisza, a specialty of the Axel Island and riangh, a delicatessen of the White Elves, to a wide range of puddings and desserts, among them layered cakes, honeyed nuts and assorted sweets.

This was the grandest feast in which Lillith had ever taken part in, and if it weren’t for the one tiny fact that she was currently dining somewhere in the Death Goddess’s Kingdoms. That circumstance was of most concern for the half-mortal, whereas the small detail of Lenori’s company definitely did not help her spirits soar.

Drinking the liquid in her wine glass, which had a kind of metallic taste to it, Lillith helped herself with rice with some kind of brownish sauce, which she thought to be neutral and normally-looking. Out of the corner of her eye she saw that Lenori, smiling mysteriously, had not even touched her food, apparently indifferent to her own croons addressed to Lillith of ‘eat up, eat up’.

The last, trying to show a blank, studied face, did not know what to think. Why was she here? And, most of all, what had Lenori to do with her Coronation?! The demon goddess had no say in the matters of Aevlyth; she was scarcely worshipped in the country.

-Then Lillith’s heart skipped a beat. What if it was that? What if Lenori was angry about the lack of priests and priestesses? The girl quickly counted all the chapels and shrines of the goddess.

Two? Three? Other gods and goddesses had at least six, some even eight in only Avhydlyi.

-But this made no sense! For hundreds of years indifferent to her kingdom, why would Lenori suddenly turn her attention to it? Lillith feverishly hoped it was no wager concerning her person. Myths and legends told about the figures of the Gods’ and Goddesses’ wages were nice and fine with her, but only on yellowish pages of old tomes and through the words of old bards who sometimes entertained her and her court. Riding around to fulfill Lenori’s whim was really not in her plans.
Lenori’s flashing smile widened, revealing her small but how sharp teeth, as if the goddess had read her mind. –Maybe she could? What did she, Lillith, know about the Goddess of the Night? Nothing! –And what about her being her mother’s patron? What was that supposed to mean?!

-Please let it not be a wager, please let it not be a wager... Please let it not be-

-As we have eaten and drunk, I think that it is time that we have a little chat, just as I promised. By now you are probably dying with curiosity. -

Lillith’s stomach leaped up to her heart as Lenori butted into her thoughts. –Not literally of course!- the demon laughed, suddenly appearing directly before the girl, sitting on the table where just a second ago was a platter full of mashed potatoes. As the knife which Lillith had been holding fell with a loud clunk on her table, Lenori’s smile broadened once more at her reaction.

-It is the atmosphere of this place isn’t it? It is kind of… frightening. I observed for you, mortals, being in the Black Kingdoms sometimes react… strangely…. - the goddess paused, closing her eyes for a second longer than necessary. –Yes… Once, I thing nine hundred years ago, this man… what was his name? Thenial? Thaniel? I don’t remember… Well, anyways, he just… panicked. Overreaction, I call it. He was just one big mistake. Hmm… A promising one, though. - She took a moment to look at Lillith, her long lashed eyes narrowed. –But you won’t do that, will you? After all, you are Sanilorrah’s daughter... You have a legend to live up to, don’t you? As to your mother, she was such an interesting mortal… One of my most remarkable vassals.-

A short grin, proceeded by a frown adorned the beautiful face before an answer could be heard.

-My mother was your vassal?- the question was shot before Lillith could stop herself.

-Yes… But not in the way you think. I never talked to her personally, I just… observed her… Helped her now and then, sometimes whispered some ideas…. Nothing more. However, I don’t think she needed me… -What a talent to spread chaos she had! She walks into a room, and five minutes later everyone in the chamber is ready to jump at each other’s throat… Of course, at some point they all realize what is happening, but still… Extraordinary…-

After another small pause, Lenori suddenly jumped of the table and took few steps back, spreading then folding her wings neatly, her long, blade ended tail swishing behind her.

-However, we are not here to talk about your mother. We are here to talk about your future. - The demon beamed wickedly, once again settling down comfortably on a cushioned chair. Leaning against its back, she continued in a moderately conversational tone, in which the slight hiss became more audible. –Yes… Tonight was supposed to be your night, wasn’t it? The end of everlasting struggle for the throne, there was nothing in your way, no thrashing about power-seeking idiot who would plunge Aevlyth into disaster…- Lenori examined her claw-like hand, tilting her head off to one side.

Unexpectedly, she caught Lillith’s chin, making the girl look into her blazing black eyes.

In the endless, ever-deep pits she saw, heard, something. –A wail, a scream? The piercing sounds grew steadily louder, muffled only by the deafening pulsation of her blood in her ears. Then she saw something, first only a silhouette, which abruptly started take color and shape, turning into an old woman. Her hair was brittle and dusty, while her wind-swept skin creased far beyond her age from the sun. She carried a wooden stick for a cane, on which she leaned on at every step; only the glint of pain could show what each stride cost her. As the woman stumbled, exhausted, by tripping on a grey as everything around stone, Lillith for a second had a chance to see her sharpened featured, before they too retreated into the darkness of Lenori’s pupils.
It was an older version of her, Lillith.

At the moment in which Lenori released her chin, everything came back to normal. –If dining in Addi’s Palace could be called normal. The shrieks and the pulsation stopped, though the vision was still fresh before the girl’s eyes. From somewhere far, far away she heard the goddess’s voice.

-What did you see? Tell me!- It was not a request; it was an order. Lenori leaned even closer, her expression unreadable. –What did you see,- she repeated.

-I… I don’t know…- Instincts of self-survival to the lead; intuition foretold her that even lying to the hot-tempered goddess was better than saying that she had seen her own downfall, for what else could it be? A wave of iciness overflowed her as realization of what she had seen downed onto her.

What if that was true? What if that was the life meant for her?

If so, she had nothing to loose. If the goddess found out that she was doomed to fail, she would not help her, Lillith. -Assuming, of course, that Lenori wanted to help her. At this point, she needed all the help she could get. Trying her best not to show the panic that overwhelmed her, she returned the she-demon’s gaze and tried not to give the impression of shrinking in her chair. –The last was certainly not the behavior of a ruler, even if the speaker with whom she talked with was a goddess and had an atmosphere of fear and power around her self.

-All of the sudden you have become very brave, haven’t you?- Lenori examined her just the way that Athani had, as if she were a curious example of some rare animal. -You’re lying, I can see that. That is really not a good idea. What did you see?-

-Fire,- Lillith blurted out the first rational word that popped into her working feverishly mind. -Red, orange and yellow flames. Everywhere.-

-Fire, you say?- Lenori looked at her thoughtfully, but then furrowed her brows. –Aurora?- the goddess murmured under her breath, naming the goddess of fire. –On whose side is she? Oh, never mind. - She waved her hand dismissively. –The future can always be changed. Especially the ones of your kind. –But you’re still lying, of course? Lillith, I can see lie. I patron lie, darling. - Lenori grinned, once again unbarring her startlingly pointed set of teeth. –But that is all right. Don’t ever trust any one if you do not have to, because that never lead to anything good. Nine hundred ninety eight people on a thousand will at some point ‘accidentally’ blurted it out your secret or do something which will make you think again before trusting them. Shows that you are not as stupid as my siblings think you are.-

Lenori paused, helping herself with an apple.

-And here we come to why you are here. I think that you have already figured it out, but I will say it nevertheless. Tonight through the Ruthon Forest you will become Queen, and as you will be accepted by those who took the Oath, no one will be able to claim rights to the throne. The question is, however, how long will you be on that throne.-

-You talk, my lady, as I have been already chosen. –But I am not. Not yet at least!-

Lenori took her time before answering, taking an enormous bite from the fruit.

-You will be chosen. There is no one else of royal blood who would want to take the throne. If they do not choose you, what do you think will happen? Chaos will take the place of one of the oldest civilization of your world, and that is at best! Isn’t that what you have been trying to evade? I they do not chose you, there will be no more country for which they could chose anyone for anybody! At the moment we are talking Aevlyth is at the verge of bankruptcy, has nobles who fight only for their own goods and lands and who always want more, and has other countries who are allying themselves against it… And that is among others! Without a good ruler, Aevlyth will fall.-

Lenori discarded the apple core by throwing it somewhere over her shoulder, looking intently at Lillith.

-And here we come to the crux of it all. Not all of my family has such faith in you as I do, darling. They do not believe that you will be able to remain at power for more then a few months, if not weeks. Hotheadedness is not a good adjective for a ruler, and of impulsiveness and spontaneity you have more than enough, don’t you? –But I believe that you have a head on your shoulders not only for parade, darling, and that is why you are here. After all, you are still among the living aren’t you? – as the last sentence was spoken, a glimmer of amusement could be seen in the goddess’s eye.

That’s what it is for her, isn’t it, thought Lillith, her fists clenched. It’s just something cursedly amusing for her.

-I never asked for this! - she called out, digging her fingernails into her hand to the blood. –I never knelt on my bedside and prayed for all of them to kill themselves out, so that only I would be left out! I was indifferent to what was happening at court. I didn’t give a spare thought about it! I was happy with how things stood before all this happened! Until…- her voice, to that moment loud with anger, faltered.

-…Until only you and your sister were left on the battlefield. – The goddess finished for her in a sing-song voice and a flashing smile. –Left you with the question: you or her? You, darling Lillith, chose her.-

-Lyssene left me no choice! And I did not choose anything. -

-It’s called the will of survival, isn’t it? - drawled Lenori, once again swishing her tail.

-No it’s not! I had no idea what was in the goblet that she sent me!-

-Yes, you did. You sensed it at least.-

-You have no idea what I sensed at that moment, all right!-

-But you were not surprised when Athani told you what was in it, were you?-

-I repeat, you haven’t the slightest idea what I thought.-

-Beg pardon, but I do, - retorted Lenori sweetly. –A whole unslept night and no tears left on the morrow. That does make one think, darling. You knew very well what was in that goblet and was thinking about who was to drink from it, you or your sister. You decided that Lyssene and there is no point of denying it. –

-I had faith in the fact that Lyssene would not do it. She was my sister…-

-But family means nothing when into the game comes to power, right? To this point I’m with you, darling.-

-I did not believe Athani, - said Lillith, looking Lenori straight in the eyes. –Till the end, I did not believe her. Are Isothath and Athani your vassals? - she asked, suddenly calm.

-No. I think they’re Avineus’s, though I’m not sure. - The demon shrugged. –That doesn’t matter. What matters is that you took their suggestions. You sent the poison back, didn’t you?-.

-I sent the goblet back, - said Lillith fiercely.
-…With the poison in it.- ended Lenori. -You could say that Lyssene also had some kind of faith in you, didn’t she? I heard that she laughed when she saw your package. -She drunk through it on the eyes of all of her supporters. She thought that it was a copy and that you were long gone...-

Lillith did not answer. A heavy and uncomfortable silence fell, but the she-demon was unperturbed by it. In fact, she seemed authentically happy.

-Think of it as ordeal, darling. The same think felt Areinod when he sent your parents for a sure death. He battled with himself for a month or so; he could not believe that what his spymaster was saying was true. But when he saw evidence before him, he acted, and so did you. You two had no other choice. With position comes responsibility, darling. At that point in time it was not about Areinod or you. It was about Aevlyth. He knew what would happen after his death, and he had to evade the chaos, just as you did when it came to Lyssene. Even at the cost of personal sacrifice. Again, with position comes responsibility and that responsibility is Aevlyth.-
-I did not believe Athani, - Lillith repeated, ignoring the goddess. -Until the new of Lyssene’s death reached me, I did not believe her. You know how I found out about that? Of course you do, don’t you? The next morning I found a plague of power-thirsty nobles and aristocracy eager to tell me of their loyalty and dependability on my doorstep. The same people who a night before allied Lyssene where crowding my great hall and talking about trustworthiness, maiming me with gifts, presents, and money, at the same time isolating me from those who where with me from the beginning, who wanted the best for the country. They called me ‘Your Royal Highness’, at the same time pressing a knife to my throat, and they dared talk about plans concerning Aevlyth. Their plans, not mine. They thought that if Lyssene was so easy to manipulate, then so would I. - Lillith laughed mirthlessly. –For them nothing changed. One sister was exchanged for another, a younger, greener one. It was even better. I managed to send them back to Lightgrove, but so what? By the time they got a whiff of what was happening, that is me telling the what to do and not vice versa, I went through eight assassination attempts, the first three in which the assassin was one on one with me. One was on a private audience, another on a public one. That’s five; those where by sending someone physically. The two next where by magic, and once they even tried to give me poison.-

-But you lived through it. You’re alive and well. You grew up, and you turned into good material for a Queen, whatever your nobles, rulers of other countries and my siblings think.

Lillith looked at the goddess sharply.

-You take it for granted that I indeed will become Queen. But what if I do and then fail to live up to anyones expectations? What will happen if I do become Queen and the change my mind? What if I abdicate, then what?-
-You won’t, - said Lenori simply. –The memory of your sister will keep you going more than anything else. You sacrificed too much to just change your mind. That isn’t your style either, is it? And then, who will you abdicate to? What will happen to you afterwards? -

Lillith did not answer, the vision of the old woman before her eyes. She did not want to end like that, whatever would happen, she did not want to become that life-battered old woman. Not her.

-You’ll take the burden, - continued Lenori. –As your own private penance or to continue the task of you ancestors, you will fulfill your destiny.-
Lillith smirked.

-Yes, yes. That all sound so very nice, but why are you here? Or no, why am I here? Explain that to me, will you? My tiny little mortal reasoning can’t quite cover that. –

-Watch your words, will you, darling> I can still change my mind and wager against you…-

-So it’s a wager? You bargained with someone that I would keep the sign of ‘vacant’ away from the throne? That Aevlyth will still stand after my reign? I’m honored.-

-More or less, - admitted Lenori. –And as to the being honored, you should be. You’re supposed to keep the throne for ten years. -

-Only ten years? I’m crushed. So, who’s against us?-
-Well, among others Astsira…-
Lillith groaned, slumping heavily against the chair.
-We have the goddess of peace against me?-

-No ‘me’, but us. But no worry, I’ll take care of the divines, you just worry about your task.-

-Who else?- asked the girl, her voice coarse.

-Oh, Orath… Seine… Esvor…-

-Nice. Goddess of Waters, God of Kingship and the God of Trade and Craft. Awesome. I’m supposed to be a Queen without the Seine as patron. I feel like a legend already.-

-Aww, stop it. Think positive.-
-The goddess of night and demons is ordering me to think positive. There should be a separate chapter for this in history.

Lenori grinned. –Life is full of surprises. But as I said, not everyone is against us. Catrina, Deryn, Dynir and Addi believe in you.

-Ye-es? So we have the goddess of Hope, Justice and Faith, the God of War and Troubles and the Lord of the Two Moons, Patron of Thieves and Cast Outs and the Goddess of Death. What about Ellyne?-

-Our Goddess of Luck and Destiny is neutral. So is the rest, though I think Arivne is more for us.- Lenori winked. –Arivne, as the Queen of Heavens could be a powerful ally.-

Lillith counted up the odds of her reign. It was shattering to piece before it even started. -So now you tell me that I have a whole myriad of gods and goddesses against me, not talking about plain mortals, who cause enough trouble?-

-But I promise that they won’t butt in. They’re just too honorable for that. They swore that we would leave you alone. Yesterday, to be exact. -

-Just like you did?- Lillith raised an eyebrow. –I feel so much better with that information.-

Lenori laughed.

-That is why you should be happy to have me on your side. For me, rules exist just for someone to break ‘em. Well, now that you know what to do, an apart from the knives of your nobles you have my wrath to see to if you, or rather we, loose, I think that… No, wait, what was it..? I had something for you…- As the goddess made an event of struggling to remember something, Lillith contemplated on Lenori’s statement of her wrath. Though it was said a light tone, the girl was not all sure that the goddess was joking.

-Ah yes!- the she-demon clasped her hands. -Girloth! –

As soon as the command was spoken, out of a black puff of smoke another demon emerged. This one though had none of the elegance and dangerous beauty that so characterized Lenori. In fact, he seemed to be a bit slow and gawky as he approached Lenori and bowed clumsily. There was no aura of peril around him as around his mistress. If truth be told, he appeared to be more hilarious than dangerous. His tail sagged behind him and swept the sparkly clean floor, whereas his wings were gauchely folded. Small, watering black eyes seemed to yearn for a good pair of thick glasses, while his fangs appeared to be much too long and made it a bit hard for him to speak, as it turned out as he greeted the goddess. In his right claw he held a small leather pouch.
-Mhy lhadhy, - said Girloth with a slur.

-Girloth!- Lenori repeated, beaming. –You have the present?-

-Yhes mhy lhadhy…- Girloth answered and turned his attention to fishing out from the pouch some object. This was not an easy task, as each of his nails was two times longer that the tiny bag, whereas his enormous finger did not fit into it at all. After about five minutes, in which Lenori’s tight smile not once wavered, the demon with triumph produced a small black object.

-Thank you, Girloth, - she said as he passed the item to her. -You have been of much help to me, you may go.-

Beaming, Girloth disappeared in the puff of smoke in which he had appeared.

-Girloth isn’t much good at flying, so he used the mists.- said Lenori almost apologetically once he was gone. –You’re probably wondering what this is, aren’t you?- She held up the small object to the light, so that it flashed in the flickering light of the candles.

The ring, made up of a black loop was of color worthy of Addi. The stone set in it was also of death’s color, though it seemed to bathe in the light, have a life of it’s own. As Girloth handed it to her, Lenori passed it on to Lillith.

-It’s a Nyrthryn, a Demon Stone. It shall show you poisons, make you immune to spells when you do not wish to be enchanted and it looks very pretty. Also, no one will be able to take it of without your consent. It looks like ordinary, maybe enchanted for good luck granite…- Lenori laughed, -Not even your dear Magics’ know what this is. Keep it safe, because it will probably save your life more than once.-

Lillith slipped the Nyrthryn onto her little finger of the right hand, next to a small ruby given to her by Lyssene long, long ago. On her left she had another ruby inherited from her parents and a shiny lapis-lazuli from Kelsey, the vampire. The muttering thank you’s where dismissed with a wave of a hand.

-Don’t thank me, just fulfill your task. I won’t be able to visit you, because my siblings will probably keep a close watch over me. I wish you everything of the best now. Oh, and one more thing. Stay clear away from oracles, will you, darling? And be as nice as to order building a few temples dedicated to me, alright? I noticed a big lack of them in Aevlyth. Goodbye, darling. Best wishes.-

The world whirled around Lillith as the she-demon threw with the flick of her hand a bolt of power at the girl. Before she had the chance to even shout in surprise, Lillith once again found herself at Ruthon.
Last edited by Esmé on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:49 am
writergirl007 says...

Okay...this was well written. Really long. I found some mistakes.

"She also tried to cast out of her memory and consciousness that tens of pairs of eyes observed her wearily"
This sentence does not sound right "tens of pairs of eys"? Change that to make this flow more smoothly.

"commonest mud soiling her shoes"
I don't like commonest. Use some other word here. :)

"Gods help her"
"Gods" and "Goddesses" are not capitolized. Only God is capitolized.

"she turned her gaze away and made herself nod a curt nod"
"nod a curt nod"? That doesn't sound good. Perhaps..."nod cutly" or something to that effect.

"At some point the two mages stopped chanting and started drawing glittering in the moonlight magical borders, separating themselves from the getting more and more giddy with every passing moment woman, who was in vain trying not to look as nervous as she was"
This is quite long (as are most of your sentencs) and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Try shortening it and rephrasing.

"The howling, screeching, shrieking, woofing, yowling, barking, yelling, chirping, hissing, roaring, growling, snarling and hooting stopped at once." You do not need to repeat yourself! Say, "The noises spotted at once" or something like that.

"Slowly, out of the darkness, the coming nearer and nearer figure was becoming more and more recognizable."
Don't repeat words twice! Once is okay. But, this sentence needs work.

"The known for her high temper goddess could react rashly"
This sentence is not written well. Something like "known for her quick temper, the goddes could react rashly." See how that flows better?

"simply because even though they where who they where to me, I felt indifference towards them, if not nothing."
What? I know what you are trying to get out, but that's just not happening. How about, "even though they were my parents, I felt nothing but indifference towards them"

"–But of that later."
"more on that later" or something to that effect.

"Well, one day they stepped a step too far:"
Only use the same word once! It's bad enough when someone does it in the same paragraph not to mention in the same sentence!

"And where are supposed to be immune to it, as legend tells."
Again, the sentence is unclear! (and you put where instead of were)

"a light-headedness started to overwhelm her."
Take out the "a"

"What did she, Lillith, know about the Goddess of the Night?"
Either use "she" or "Lilith"

"But here, we are not her to talk about your mother"
"but, we are not here to talk about your mother"

"It was an older version of her, Lillith"
Take out lilith and use "herself"

"But family means nothing when into the game comes to power, right"
"But family means nothing compared to power, right?"

"Even at the cost of personal sacrifice. Again, with position comes responsibility and that responsibility is Aevlyth.-"
Don't repeat! End whith even.

This was good. A little rough. The senteces are too long! Break them up into smaller pieces so taht your reader may be able to digest them! Also, use quotes instead of dashes. That also makes it easier to tell when someone is talking. And, not dashes! They are not needed most of the time! Cut out a lot of your adjectives. They just weigh your story down and make it hard to see the main idea of each sentence!

I know I'm a tough critique, but I did enjoy your story! Knowing from experience, tough critiques are better than ones that say your writing rocks! I hope that this helps. :D Writergirl
"It is better to save than to destroy, and that justice is most righteous which is tempered by mercy." Mark Twain

571 Reviews

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:28 am
Esmé says...

As to the noises… I liked that part… I kept it :S -Though that might submit to change, lol.

"Slowly, out of the darkness, the coming nearer and nearer figure was becoming more and more recognizable."
Don't repeat words twice! Once is okay. But, this sentence needs work.

-Uhm, I think that everything was alright here… I’ll contemplate on it, lol.

"The known for her high temper goddess could react rashly"
Why is this not written well? Wails* No, seriously, why isn’t it?

"simply because even though they where who they where to me, I felt indifference towards them, if not nothing."
What? I know what you are trying to get out, but that's just not happening. How about, "even though they were my parents, I felt nothing but indifference towards them"

I can make out something of this… Uhm, but maybe that’s because I was the one ho wrote it? Oh, I hate editing… I’ll think this over.

"–But of that later."
"more on that later" or something to that effect.

-Someone pointed out that I use that phrase a lot. You won’t mind if I use it later on? lol

"Well, one day they stepped a step too far:"
Only use the same word once! It's bad enough when someone does it in the same paragraph not to mention in the same sentence!

I think that here it’s okay. Isn’t that some king of English/American phrase? Or not… -But I get your point of using the same words twice.

A horror, the where/were.

"What did she, Lillith, know about the Goddess of the Night?"
Either use "she" or "Lilith"

I think that this is an explainable error. -Or not. No, seriously, I normally don’t write like that but I think I took that habit out of some book or other. Artemis Fowl, I suppose. Yeah, that’s it. He has a lot of such sentences…

"It was an older version of her, Lillith"
Take out lilith and use "herself"

Explainable or not?

"Even at the cost of personal sacrifice. Again, with position comes responsibility and that responsibility is Aevlyth.-"

I wanted to emphasize that sentence a bit…

Okay, I think I have to explain one think. You know that I’m Polish, right? Well, at Poland we use dashes, not quotes. I kind of got used to them. I know, I should use quotes when I’m posting to an English site… -But can I keep on using dashes? Pretty please? Lol.

I know. I have this habit of making long, undecipherable sentences. You have no idea how much I already cut out, lol. I’m working n improving that, I truly am.

You know what? I think I love you, lol. Thanks for taking your time and reading all this…

-elein

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:26 pm
Sam says...

Hey, Eleina! You've been around the boards for awhile, but I've been rather antisocial, so...here's my belated 'Hello'. :D

SOME THOUGHTS ON DASHES: You can use dashes instead of quotation marks, but keep in mind that most Americans can't point out Poland to you on a map. No offense, but that's a fact of life- the only thing I can say in Polish is "Dzien Dobry", but that's because my grandma grew up speaking it. :wink:

So! You can keep them in, but be prepared for an angry mob.

Or, you could type with dashes, if that's more comfortable for you, but then do a 'Find/Replace' on Word and switch it over for posting on YWS. Your dialogue is beautiful- it shouldn't be hidden from English readers.

FANTASY WRITERS AND CONFUSING NAMES: Recently, I talked with a Japanese exchange student about getting used to American life- and suprisingly, the most challenging adjustment wasn't the language or keeping your shoes on.

It was remembering American names.

So, why aren't we all having a cow over the names in the Russian novels? Besides the obvious strange nicknames, it's fairly easy to remember who's who.

Many of the names are things like "Katerina", "Marfa", "Peter", "Aleksandr"...perhaps a letter or two apart from a recognizable English name.

Unlike 'Karen' to 'Keiko', there's a shred of similarity we can hang on to.

This is why the names in your story were tough to remember, besides 'Lillith'- most English names don't begin with 'Oe', or end in 'ath'.

When you've got a complex plot and a beautiful, albeit winding, prose, you need to have something that the reader can recognize, otherwise it's all going to go over their heads. What to do?

Follow the Russians! You can use fantasy names, just make sure they're more or less close to what an English name would sound like.

CUTTING DOWN ON SENTENCES: Your sentences are great- really, they are. Your sense of words is amazing, and everything seems to just 'flow'...

So, why is it a bit overwhelming to sit and read through your story?

You tend to emphasize everything, and describe everything- and while this is usually something we encourage people to do, you're beyond that phase.

(Elein says: "What is Sam rambling on about?" :wink:)

Basically? You're not a 'beginning' writer. You're a really good writer, so you need to work more on things like foreshadowing and style and...oh, the list could go on and on.

Your word for today: SUSPENSE.

Really, your protagonist is wandering through a forest to meet with a malicious she-demon. Shouldn't we be on the edge of our seats?

...uhm, no. We're too busy marvelling at your strangely wonderful syntax.

So! Let's do some paragraph-slaying, shall we?

Every step was becoming harder and harder; weather it was the fault of her weakening by every second will or because of the cursed red ceremonial gown that effectively limited her moves, the woman didn’t know. Once again she spared a quick glance at her sides: there they where, sitting comfortably on both sides of the Pathway, hid under the enormous trees that consisted of the Ruthon Forrest, hid so flawlessly, that only their eyes glinted in the darkness. Spies who called themselves envoys, here under pretext to pay tribute to her when this was over, watching her every move, her every falter, trying to decide whether she was to be they prey or the predator for their rulers. They sat amongst her nobility, her private allies and enemies, all whose future was to resolve in a few minutes... On occasion such as these Lillith was willing to accept Aereinod’s heirs’ decision to ignore this part of the coronation.

I picked this one somewhat randomly because it was huge...

Another writer would probably put something iike:

Urgh, she thought. This gown is huge!

She was being watched, which was kind of creepy, and she was mad at Aereinod for making her do this.

Yeah. Not as pretty as yours, right? But you do see how it could be condensed to make something much more understandable to a reader.

In order to cut this down and work on building suspense, it helps to synopsize paragraphs and determine what your focus is. Is it on the spies? On tripping over the gown? The forest?

Use your big sentences on those bits, and slash out the rest. For example, if your focus was the gown:

Every step was becoming harder and harder; weather it was the fault of her weakening by every second will or because of the cursed red ceremonial gown that effectively limited her moves, the woman didn’t know. She felt as if she were being watched; which was all the more embarrassing as the ermine hem continually tripped her up.

You see how I kept your big, pretty sentence, but summarized the rest? This way, the focus on the gown is emphasized, and the bit about the spies is an afterthought. This designates a focus for the whole pargraph and your reader's mind doesn't explode.

---

Well, hope I helped out! If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me. Luuuuuurvely piece, Elein- kept me awake through the whole thing. It wasn't just a big block of text, honest! :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

571 Reviews

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:46 am
Esmé says...

Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks - this can go on and on, lol.

I'm currently working on something else, though I'm printing this out, hehe. (Got to write while I still want to, lol. Knowing me I'll get back to that book in like three week, hehe) I'll keep your tips in mind. Eh, I always describe things too much, lol.

Again, I really appreciate the review,

-elein

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx