z

Young Writers Society

The Linked Worlds

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun May 16, 2010 7:21 pm
Bickazer says...

The first volume of the Key to the Worlds quartet, a novel in three parts.

It's YA fantasy, with some steampunk elements.

The vibrant city of Compiteum has been permanently linked to three other worlds, forming a colorful hodgepodge in which one street might contain the zeppelins and iron towers of Compiteum, the next the briar and forests of Feras, the red-light district of Zerbroch, or the delicate temples of Tiandra. The linking could not have been accomplished without the intrepid leadership of Dr. Elise Kingruey--unfortunately, she hasn't lived to see the fruits of her labor, because the process of opening the door to other worlds killed her. Dr. Kingruey is survived by her daughter Evanna, now fourteen. A closed and lonely girl, Evanna loves nothing but the memory of her dead mother and resents the accolades that she receives for simply being Elise's daughter. Everything changes when she's attacked by a mysterious monster when she accidentally wanders into a section of Zerbroch. A strange woman comes to her rescue and shocks Evanna when she reveals that not only did she know Elise, but she believes that foul play, not an accident, was involved in Elise's death. Now, with the knowledge that her mother was murdered, Evanna decides to join the woman Natalia and her Institute in a quest to find her mother's killers. Little does she know that her investigation will lead her to discover not just the truth about Elise's murder, but the insidious secrets hidden inside the linked worlds--and herself.

This is my NaNo '09. I've gone through and edited it once already, and in the case of the first part, edited it twice.

The first part titled BOOK ONE: THE INSTITUTE is available for download. It's approximately 30,000 words long and the chapters are enormous. Just a warning. Feel free to upload your critiques in parts.
Attachments
book1.doc
(278 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri May 21, 2010 7:16 am
napalmerski says...

I love the concept. Cynosure rules! Grimjack's adventures mean anything to you? Excellent comic book from the early 80's. I also have a concept waiting for its time which is similar, only it will be whole areas of Earth, not a single city... Or perhaps there will be a city at an intersection of two or more such areas... Too early to say yet. Anyway - congrats for the concept.

There are a lot of sentences and bits of sentences reviewed, but don't let that bother you, most of what I bring attention to is a question of minute fine tuning, which is totally not obligatory, just my musing about shifting a molecule here and a proton there, to give the reality you present a more flawless taste. Sometimes I just point out stuff, sometimes I present possible alternatives.

insistent throb right below where the pale, stringy hairs grew out of her skin. - I know what you mean, but you should rephrase that. Maybe substituting 'skin' for 'scalp' would be enough.

Sometimes it flared up, worse than before - I think there's no need for the 'worse than before'

dark stockings that only accentuated how the thinness of her legs
:D there was a point in time when you first wrote 'how thin her legs were', then revised it, and left this lone survivor of the previous version?

Out in the open, she could breathe air untainted with body odor and the salt stench of sweat - untainted BY; SALTY

Evanna drew forth the chain. - that's a bit too titanic for her effort, isn't it? She just took out a trinket from under her blazer, while these days, if one says 'drew forth the...' it's a promise of something spectacular, or epic, people straining at the effort, or whatever is attached to the end of the chain turns out to be something astounding:) In short - the sentence is quite fine, but too dramatic for a minor everyday occurrence.

She opened it, smiling as she always did when her eyes landed on the tiny black-and-white photograph inside - hihi, you make her an automaton, who always reacts with an identical expression to the same stimulus. I say - amputate the 'as she always'

the standing-up lapels of her white lab coat - awkwardness attack! How about 'stiff lapels' or 'upturned' lapels or something.

She hiccupped a bit but resolutely bit back a sob - here, I think that for the sake of continuity, she should swallow back the sob, because you start with a hiccup, and mention throat contractions before that, so I think a 'swallowing', rather than 'biting' motion is a more natural continuation of all these bodily events.

Framed by towers, it was rapidly darkening into a deep bluish color that crept in from the edges - I don't think you can get away with just 'framed by towers' here. You've already brought them up before, and here, when you describe what she sees, it's time to add some details about these towers. Are they from all sides, are they looming, are they pale or dark, worn or maintained, etc.

A cool evening breeze seized it and danced it down the street until she could no longer see it.- A cool evening breeze sent it dancing down the concrete street and then made it take a corner and disappear from sight.

twin flushes of red rising in her cheeks. - perhaps 'spreading over'?

About the advertisements using her mother. Did she or anyone from her family ever try to ask for a percentage? Or are they too proud? Or are there no such laws in this place? I think a sentence about this would fill up a potential hole in the fabric of reality you weave.

Evanna knew the story of her mother intimately, as did every young schoolchild in Compiteum - I think we don't really need the first half of the sentence. Just saying that every kid knows it is enough. Evanna is the daughter, and she's thinking this, so we know she knows.

Evanna had never been in another Section before; - no need for the 'before'. It diffuses the surprise which arrives in a few sentences. Better give it later on a whole separate sentence to underline her suspicions and confirmation of her suspicions. But for now, just state she had never been in another section.

Three worlds were joined to Compiteum, called Feras, Zerbroch, and Tiandra - either just cut 'called', or cut 'called' and substitute with 'the worlds', or add 'the' before 'three' and change the rest accordingly.

and saw with a thrill of dread that she had no idea where she was. - nope:) either she 'saw' that there was nothing familiar about, or she 'realized' that she had no idea where she was. One concerns taking in her surrounding with one of the five senses, the other - an internal process not happening via one of her five senses.

Panic took control of her and she ran, ran, and ran fast as she could down the street, scurrying to avoid piles of refuse - the 'scurrying'. I think that if she is already running, and running, and running, the 'scurrying' should be substituted by 'sidestepping' and 'jumping over', or 'avoiding'.

so thick she could barely see her hands in front of her face. When she looked up, she saw it was because the sky—so clear before—was shrouded in a layer of ink-black clouds with roiling, oily undersides. - now, the not seeing one's hands as an illustration of darkness is a respected approach, but in this case it clashes with the view of the clouds. If wondering which of the two to keep, I vote for the clouds. Or, add that at least in the sky above her head there is still a hint of luminescence or something.
Another argument for making the darkness less solid is this bit which appears later - Worst of all was the darkness. It seemed to hide many flickering shapes, slithering quietly like snakes at the edges of her vision

piles of rotting trash whose stench of sweet decay smothered her in the cloying air. - piles of rotting trash that filled the cloying air with the smothering stench of sweet decay.

In the darkness ahead, Evanna glimpsed a flicker of light. Barely daring to hope, she fixed her eyes on the flicker. It grew brighter and brighter, though not much larger. The tiny ball of dimly glowing light bobbed regularly up and down as it approached her.
- here, one 'flicker' and one 'light' is enough. When in doubt what other words to use - check here - http://thesaurus.com/browse/flicker
Also, the 'regularly' could be replaced by 'a steady rhythm' or something.

Style: once bad sh*t starts happening in the darkness, you go Lovecraftian. Even before it hits the fan, when she just wonders where she is, we already get a doze of Lovecraft with words like 'preternatural' and stuff. Which is excellent. But! It kinda clashes with the bits before and after the struggle. To even out the narrative, you could either add more descriptions and wordings of this sort everywhere else, or dilute the action in the dark with some more everyday descriptions.

How ironic, she thought dully, to die like her mother had. Except Elise Kingruey had died a hero, fulfilling her life’s work. Her daughter Evanna would die alone in a stinking alleyway, devoured by a monster—a demon—and no one would mourn her. - how exacly is that like her mother, except that death features in both?

a dark-haired woman dressed in a fashionable suit
- the 'fashionable' clashes terribly with the general style. How about describing it with two-thre words instead?

As you describe the dispatch of the demon, it would help to include that this all happens in the rocking light and moving shadows on a hand held latern. Also, the struggle with the demon before that, is another argument to not say that the darkness is so solid. Otherwise none of the wires and stuff would be visible, unless the lure-globe is very strong, but we know it isn't, because otherwise it would have shown the thing itself and warned off potential victims.

Then there's a description of the woman, /and man/ which seems a bit too... tasteful, elegant, elaborate, for the brain of a kid that knows not where she is and has just been saved from a slimy demon.

Tal said, her eyes flashing, - /in the flickering light of the latern...'

not a child to be condescended to. - no comprende senorita:)

Evanna made her decision without hesitation. She knew that what Tal said was right and she wouldn’t regret it. Not only did she want to find out the truth behind Mama’s death, but she also felt that she could trust Tal. Maybe it was a foolish feeling, but she didn’t think it was.
Ever since her mother, no adult had addressed her with so much respect.
“So this is the Institute?” said Evanna, staring awestruck at the building in front of

- Please do not forget to write a description of their journey to the Institute.

a run-down neighborhood of small shops and disreputable playhouses.
- ahem, 'disreputable looking' houses. After all, how does she know for sure? She's just a kid.

The institute building: since you already say that official buildings tend to remind her of old men, this one shouldn't also 'remind her' of something, this is dull repetition, perhaps it 'looks like', or even better, 'looks almost like'.

Evanna tried to imagine armies of lab-coated researchers striding through its halls and clacking on computing machines, but the image imploded in her mind.
- again, I think that the image imploding in her mind is a too dramatic description for an event which is not dramatic. A more mundane substitution please.

wound their ways through halls that were not sterile and white and did not intersect in rigid right angles, but wound in convoluted curving pathways
- here you give the alternative to 'rigid right angles', but leave 'sterile and white' hanging without a counterweight. The descriptions in the next sentence don't count:)

We hit it off, in the end,” - no 'it', I'd say

She waited in tense silence as Victor rose from the bow. Tal extended an elegantly manicured hand and rested it on Victor’s shoulder; he visibly relaxed under her touch - hihi, perhaps he's not really 'Victor', perhaps he's 'Gergor'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_von_Sacher-Masoch

Or rather, a man so tall and thin he reminded her of a reed - again I vote you cut and substitute the 'he reminded her of'

Evanna’s heart sank. They don’t believe me. - ah, but she didn't say anything, did she? So it's either 'They don’t believe her/Tal', or 'They don’t believe I'm me' or something. By the way, I notice that her thoughts are in italics only part of the time. Ahem. Cough.

Given her frame, that was often a tall order. - don't shy away, go for the implied pun!

“I’ll come,” she said.
The magistrate was exactly Evanna’s height, though much larger.
- a description of how they get there too please. Actually I think you leave empty lines exactly in order to remind yourself where additional descriptions should be added. Cool, I work the same way. Maniacs like Burgess and Koontz work on every page until it's done. I can't do that. I do a blitzkrieg and then fill up the empty spaces.

“Elise preferred numbers and data,” Tal said quietly. “Things that had a concrete shape and form, things that wouldn’t change depending on how you interpreted them.” - Ahem. They work with dimensions, probability mathematics, and almost certainly quantum mechanics. Stuff which is far from solid and changes with every new interpretation or even with every new observation. Unless it's all newtonian plus alchemical steampunk technology. You haven't made that clear yet.

No, not fighting: two were tearing into a defenseless third. - after this sentence you proceed to describe how it attempts to defend itself.

Anyway, from this point onward I stopped paying attention to the narrative structure and just read it for the plot. It reads just like the real thing. Slowly we get to know more and more of the plot, the game expands, new players appear, the girl adjusts to a new life. Very, very good!

1. You did not say decisively enough that the institute is in the same dimension as the one the girl is native to. First it looks like they meet in a dangerous area of another dimension, and then go to a less dangerous area of same. The truth dribbles down in bits and pieces, which is a bit annoying, and becomes totally quite a while after she chooses to stay there.
2. I can't believe no one even brought up the issues of contacting her custodians. If that is not an issue in their world, please spell it out.

she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

157 Reviews

Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm
Bickazer says...

Thanks for the review. ^^ I knew I could count on you to deliver some in-depth analysis of my sentence structure, which is really what I am looking for at this stage. I did edit this extensively but thank you for catching the deadweight and pointing out the inconsistencies that remain. Especially all of the reminded ofs.

I will send a more in depth PM later, addressing specific concerns. Glad you like it so far, though.

(Note that an unnatural lack of apostrophes in this post is because the computer from which I am writing this does not have a working apostrophe/quotation mark key. So I come across as more formal than I usually am).

117 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:36 am
napalmerski says...

Yo Bickazer,
calling procrastination nation, haha. What happened to linked worlds? Any progress there? Or have new projects or real life interfered. Yesterday as I was in bed, ready to sleep, I suddenly remembered the 'monster in the dark with a glowing globe attracting prey' scene. It was a pretty good scene.
:smt003
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

157 Reviews

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:14 am
Bickazer says...

:D

Glad the scene was so memorable!

Postponing work on the story until I can get more feedbck, I suppose. I've been a bit disappointed with the response but maybe the length scared potental reviewers away, I don't know. I do have the complete second part written if you'd like to take a look, but there's some formatting issues going on that I have yet to puzzle out...

117 Reviews

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:13 am
napalmerski says...

Hey, don't let lack of reviews stop you. 50% of my big projects got reviewed, the other 50% didn't :D but even that is good enough when you realize it's young strangers who force themselves to find the time. So yeah, give us the second part!
Robert Howard

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:48 pm
Forestqueen808 says...

I'm bored and am in the mood to review a novel so might as well do this one! Because it sounds amazing! I claim this spot for my review!!!
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:19 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Hello~~

I’m so sorry that this took so long. XD I was trying to edit as I read, but honestly, the further I got into the story, the more I got too caught up in it to concentrate on edits. So I ended up having to go through it twice. XDD So, it’s been, like, a month, but I worked really hard on it, and I hope I can still be helpful even if I’m not prompt. XD

Okay! The specific, page-by-page, track-changes style, carefully considered critiques are in the attached file, and I’m going to put my general, story-wide comments out here. They’re under the spoiler tag because they’re still really long, since, as you may know, I’m not good at brevity, and also because they’re kind of spoiler-tastic and I don’t want to ruin anything for anybody else who comes by.

Don’t be intimidated by the amount of red text in the page-by-page review, by the way. XD Many of those are positive comments :D. (In fact, I think like a fourth of them basically consist of “OMG LOL I love *insert character here*”).

So, without further ado, I bring you, The Linked Worlds

Spoiler! :
I. Plot
Wow, I have a feeling that there’s a lot drawing together here, even though I’m not privy to the related information yet. I’m so excited to see how all the little disparate elements draw together—Ithrey and Sarastro’s past, Sarastro’s rebellion, Elise’s murder, the murderer at the end of the part—there’s a lot going on here beyond the main plot, and I can’t wait to find out the details. The main plot line has a lot going for it as well, though—I’m really curious to find out what the situation is with the Charmed demon that attacked Evanna, and to learn about the Super-Section of Zerbroch. There’s so much to uncover here, with the characters and their backstories and the worlds and the cover-ups… it’s hard to comment on all of it coherently. XD But suffice to say, I’m entirely enthralled.

II. Setting and Worldbuilding~~!

I really like all of the settings in Linked Worlds. One thing that I thought was awesome is that each of the worlds seems, in a way, to have a personality of its own, and they’re so different from each other that you can truly believe they’re different worlds. First of all, Compiteum—I really love all the steampunk elements and the little details about the world that we learn from Evanna’s narration, everything from zeppelins to flower boxes to the way people hurry past adds to the feel and personality of the world. It’s got a really interesting blend of the present and the past, which makes for a world that’s recognizable, yet still recognizably alien. I also like how separate the Institute feels from all that, almost as if it is a completely different world, dividing off Evanna’s old life from her new one, all the machines and pipes and twisting passageways giving it an entirely different, and oddly welcoming character, like a burrow separate from the chaos of the outside world.

Zerbroch is pretty interesting as well—as we’ve seen it through Evanna’s eyes, it’s unimaginably dark and bleak and hopeless, a world right out of a horror story, but yet at the same time, it’s clear that there must be more to it—after all, we’ll be going to a big, populous Section soon, where we’ll likely find out more about the world. As is, it really does a great job instilling a sense of fear—everything from the darkness to the odor of the streets hits the target right on in that respect, and in the opening scenes, one could really feel how frightened Evanna must have felt, alone and abandoned there.

Feras is super cool, and I just love the atmosphere that it lends to the scenes that take place there. This is another lace I can’t seem to help my curiosity about, and I’d love to find out more details about it. It does have a sort of pervading gloomy atmosphere, yet at the same time, somehow it feels more safe almost, than the Lovecraftian Zerbroch or the brain-destroying Tiandra (maybe just because we’ve been there before for awhile XD). You can imagine people in Feras who you could relate to and talk to, while Zerbroch seems so bleak and empty and Tiandra so… I can’t think of a proper adjective for Tiandra. XD

Tiandra we don’t know much about yet, but I’m very curious to know more about it. Despite the fact that the only thing we know about it is the dust and sunlight, it actually seems like a vaguely frightening, disturbing lace to me—the idea that it’s a world that is practically poisoning you, that could destroy your mental capacity just by breathing its air too long, is really subtly creepy for some reason. I can’t wait to find out more about it, I can’t help my curiosity.

III. [The Part Where Zan Fangirls About] Characters

Evanna
Ok, I think part of me is kinda sorta a little in love with this character. XD She’s amazing. Her character development throughout this first part has been completely awesome, I’ve seen very few main characters who were so relatable and yet so awesome. She’s such a quiet, shy, and fragile person at the start of the story, in a world that really doesn’t see her as anyone, and for some reason I found it really easy to relate with that (maybe because I’m a living incarnation of the “This Loser is You” trope… >_> <_<). I mean, even her Institute friends like Tal act like she doesn’t have any relevant opinions, making her more of an accessory to their goals than a person. But then, as the pages go by, she really starts to find that spine, that inner strength, culminating into the story arc with Sarastro when she finally manages to tell them all (two separate times, no less) that no, that is not what she thinks. Yet, I also like the moments that show a little bit of the more gentle, sensitive young girl she is beneath all that—the scene with the hawkgriffin in particular, which I think might be my favorite scene in the whole story so far. Evanna is a character with so much strength and so much depth, but at the same time she’s flawed, and she’s an absolutely beautiful protagonist. I’ve got protagonist envy now. XD

Elise
Yay, Elise! Even though she’s a posthumous character, so we don’t know much about her, I still feel like she made an impression on the story here. She definitely creates an impression of grace and kindness as we see her through Evanna’s perspective, and at the same time a more confident, strong impression as Tal describes her—I suppose different people’s descriptions of her bring out a little of each of their personalities as well. At the same time, though, there’s definitely this feeling that she’s more than who she seems to be, that there’s some sort of mystery going on here—especially remembering Evanna’s dream after the incident in Feras. I’m beginning to wonder, from what we saw of her there, whether Evanna’s impression of Elise is just as worshipful as the rest of the city’s—whether she’s really forgetting some of the fear that was also a part of Elise. That aspect of her really does add mystery to the story, and it gives me the impression that there’s much more to come from her side of the story—it’s far from over.

Tal
Whee, Tal! She definitely gives off an air of leadership, and all the glamour and confidence she projects makes her a very compelling and charismatic member of the cast. In the opening chapters, I definitely found myself drawn to her just as Evanna was. Actually, I suppose it makes sense that she would be that way—after all, she was raised as, and still presents the public impression of being, a society lady. Those traits that make her easy to blend in are also what make her seem so apt to be the leader of the institute, I think. I like that sense of self-assurance she projects, but I also like her in her more stubborn, childish moments, like when they first arrived in Feras and she was pouting about having lost the argument and having to find the “griffin.” XD I think she’s a very rounded-out character, with her virtues and her flaws. Speaking as a reader, my fondness for Tal has gone down a bit after the way she ignored Evanna—my inner fangirl is bristling every time Evanna is mad at her XD. But speaking as a critique-r, I think she’s an absolutely awesome character. She’s certainly flawed, stubborn, even a bit arrogant, but she’s definitely a strong person and a complex character, and I can’t wait to see how things are going to develop with her in the future.

The only thing I would suggest about Tal is that my impression about how Evanna feels about her is all over the place. She has all these moments when she’s frustrated with the way Tal ignores her point of view, or is ragingly jealous of her closeness with Victor, and then she kind of drops it in the next paragraph. XD Of course, it could just be that Evanna doesn’t hold on to grudges, fair enough, but if that’s not the case, I think it might make a good bit of character development for her. I imagine it wouldn’t be easy for her to just forget about their conflicts together, especially since Evanna is so young and unused to people.

Victor
Victor is pretty cool, I’ll admit it. : ) At the moment, we know surprisingly little about him except his admiration for and loyalty to Tal and his skill at fighting demons, but he still seems like a very interesting character. Much like Tal, actually, although he also gives off a very cool and collected impression, I think he has an element of childishness, too—like when he fights with Tal over letting Evanna join the group and especially the argument they had before the end of the part. I can’t help but like him, and I’m really curious as to what his backstory is and how he got involved with Tal and the Institute in the first place. I also like how he brings out the more emotional side of Evanna, I think their interactions really add something to her character, even if they have been mostly one-sided so far, and I’m interested to see how this situation develops, and how it effects the relationship between him, Evanna, and Tal.

Ithrey
I said it like a hundred times as I edited the story, but I’m going to say it here one more time: I love Ithrey. XDD I’m not sure what it is about his character, but I just can’t help but grin every time he says something. XD His academic snobbery is probably my favorite source of the humor in this story, and I just have a ton of fun with it whenever he shows up. But all humor aside, I think it’s pretty realistic that he would get frustrated with people he perceives as being rather intellectually slower than he is, and I think that arrogance and general prickliness make for great flaws. At the same time, though, I definitely get the impression that he has the intelligence to back all that up. I’m super curious to know more about his backstory—he’s one of my favorite characters so far, and I’m really excited that it looks like the next arc is going to be dealing with him directly. (Not to mention, I can’t wait to find out what the deal is with him and Sarastro). He’s a great character, and I’m on the edge of my seat to find out more about him.

Beejee and Caryl
I kind of put them together because they’re together in so many scenes, it’s almost hard not to think of them as a unit. XD Anyway, I love them both. I think that both of them, especially Beejee, are great foils to Ithrey—I still have to say that the first scene the three of them appeared in is one of my favorite Establishing Character Moments. Their laid-back, carefree attitudes are very likable—I really think that it takes people like them to make Evanna, and thus the reader, feel comfortable and welcomed at the Institute. There’s just something essentially comforting about people like them, and they just make everything connect for reasons I can’t seem to explain. XD I especially like the friendship that develops between Caryl and Evanna later in the story, she always seems genuine and sweet, and I like the way her outgoing nature and Evanna’s shy one interact. They’re both great characters and great people, and I enjoy reading them a lot. ^_^

Isaiah
Okay, Isaiah hasn’t done a lot, but he still gets a section because I can’t think of anyone’s section to pair him with. XD The few scenes he’s been in have always been good, and I love little bits like the time when he tries to teach Evanna how to shoot a rifle. XD Little bits like that help keep him memorable even though he’s mostly a minor character so far. He seems like a pretty interesting character, and I’m definitely curious to find out what the details are on him and his connection to the police and Zerbroch.

Jen
Honestly, I had a bit of trouble getting a firm grip on Jen’s character. She’s one of the three members of the Institute who so far have been confined into more background roles, but unlike Berna or Isaiah, she’s had a major part in two arcs—the events in Feras and the events at the mayor’s reelection parade. However, both of those major appearances gave me a totally different feel for her character, (so much so that I actually had to go look up the scene at the parade just to make sure that was her and not someone else). In Feras, she kind of gave off this impression of being a little short-tempered and belligerent, and it really seemed like she thought Evanna was an annoyance, a little kid tagging along with them who didn’t know anything. But she seems a lot more mellow in the scenes leading up to the parade, not to mention a lot more social, just sort of hanging out with Evanna and Caryl, watching projector shows and drinking soda. I suppose all the tension in Feras could have made her the way she was there, and I suppose the event with the hawkgriffin could have given her more respect for Evanna, enough to see her as an equal and a friend, but it’s hard to tell. XD If you’d shown us more about her character before, or shown some sort of transition between the two scenes, I think it would be easier to get a grasp on who she is.

That said, I really do like those things about her character that have been established. She’s very tough and assertive, which serves as a good contrast to the shyer, more passive Evanna, especially in the scenes where they clash like the ones in Feras. She’s pretty likable and cool, and I found it neat how the contrast between what she does and what Evanna expects adds a lot to the worldbuiilding.

Berna
Berna’s had kind of a small role so far, too, but I can understand that because she doesn’t really leave the Institute, so she’s kind of been restricted to scenes where Evanna is injured (not that that’s in infrequent thing XD). However, from what I’ve seen of her, she seems interesting. So far, she mostly just there for the plot, but I’m sure there’s a lot behind her character that we have yet to find out. I am curious about where she came from, since you mentioned her accent, and how she came to be living in Compiteum—at the very least, it could provide more development for the world, which is always neat.

Sarastro
Sarastro! My favorite Sixth Ranger. XD Like I said when I was talking about Ithrey, I’m really curious to find out what the deal is between the two of them. His scenes with Ithrey are my favorite parts of the story so far, really, he’s surprisingly hilarious, and even without their ~mysterious shared history~ I think their personalities bounce off of each other really well—they’ve got a great dynamic, even though it’s an antagonistic one, that kind of reminds me of the good old days of writing Sae and Attaraya XD. He’s pretty awesome on his own, as well. From the beginning, Sarastero just kind of struck me as being impossibly cool, but the situation with Nilmar kind of humanizes him, making him very relatable at the same time. Even when he finally joins the Institute, I think he manages to keep that coolness, even though it’s hard for him to actually associate and converse with anyone (except Ithrey XD). He’s got elements of arrogance, but also just a few hidden sides which are very vulnerable and human, and I think that makes him a very well-rounded character. I’m totally psyched to see what his backstory has for us—from the already-mentioned situation with Ithrey to the details of his rebellion.

Magistrate Peña
I had to give him a section because he’s pretty awesome. XD I was disappointed when he died, if not surprised. He was definitely an likable and interesting character, and I really like how his little section in the end adds to his character and backstory without being too info-dump-y. Little details like the way he keeps his office and his habits were really humanizing and built up his character a lot. It’s interesting because previously we only kind of knew him from one scene, but just from that chapter, from the little introducing details to the panic at the end, I felt just as attached to him as any of the main group. XD

Father and Maria
They get one too. XD The mentions of them so far in the story do a great job to develop Evanna and show us what her world was like before the Institute—they’re very unpersonable, more shadows than characters, but I think that’s what makes them so effective—it shows hoe Evanna’s life before the Institute was pretty much entirely detached from real, meaningful human contact. The only thing I have to say is that I’m not sure I believe Evanna’s constant assertions that they won’t look for her. After all, even if they don’t particularly care for her, she is their legal responsibility—it seems unlikely that they wouldn’t feel the need to do something to locate her.

So that’s that. XD Not much after you waited so long, I know, but I hope it was useful nonetheless. I’m super excited to read part II, hopefully this time with a little less slowpoke.jpg XD. See you soon~
Attachments
Linked worlds.doc
(242.5 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

157 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm
Bickazer says...

Eee, thanks for the great review Zan~ I'll be sure to reply to it...some time soon. Haha, and I haven't replied to napalm's review either. That's what you get living in Procrastination Nation, I guess.

Honestly, the only reason I haven't posted BookTwo yet is because of formatting difficulties...for some reason, the bottoms of the pages kept getting cut off when I had the spacing at 1.5 (as I had for Book One).

I hope no one minds that all of BookTwo is single-spaced. I hate the way single-spacing looks (it's the only way I can write, but near impossible to read), and it'll probably make the part more difficult to read and edit. But if given a choice between single spacing and having entire lines disappear, I'd pick single spacing any day.

Book Two has been edited once, I believe, and is appoximately 40,000 words long. It runs from chapter 7 to chapter 13. Book Three has been planned in detail but has yet to be written. How bad of me, I know. >_>
Attachments
book2.doc
(351.5 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:19 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

OMG YES! *flails* I will get right on this. Soon. Only right now Staples is being all like "I WILL FILL YOUR ENTIRE DAY :|" and JulNoWriMo is being all like "I PLAN TO FILL THE REST OF YOUR DAYS :|" so there might be another long, sad delay. XD

But still. I will have to create time if there is none, because I am so psyched about this. :DD
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

117 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:20 am
napalmerski says...

Bickazer, mein comerade,
when I download the file my comp can't open it. How 'bout saving it as something different,like an rtf file and upping it again?
Robert Howard

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Bickazer, I am very sorry to say I could not finish this.

I reached page 19 before my brain wanted to die on me from just how il-logical the whole situation was. The dialogue, the whole story, was beginning to feel like a bigger and bigger inside joke that the readers weren't being brought into. It even felt like Evanna was in on the inside joke come the end of it.

Comments should be self-contained in the review. It is harsher than normal, fair warning. I rather literally rip the story apart.
Attachments
book1_Commented.doc
(106 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

117 Reviews

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 am
napalmerski says...

Review up to chapter 10. The rest - on Sunday I think

Yo Bickazer, here I go, finally reading this second part carefully. Just to say, that I still try to catch every sentence that strikes me funny in one way or another, but that overall, this part is written beautifully. An abundance of well structured sentences and flawless flow of details. The sentences which I don't touch I don't touch not because they're OK, but because they are very very good. Just like the real thing.

there were clear signs that the two guards made it home - their home? Otherwise 'made it home' mean succeeded in escaping I think...

He jogged in front of them to unlock the door - 'jogging' sounds too efficient and helpful

Evanna scurried to catch up to him - something not quite right with the 'up to him'

With the light came a burst of air—cool air, tainted with something heavy and dark that settled in her lungs and tightened her throat. Something alien, yet faintly familiar at the same time. The presence of another world. - since afterwards she receives a blast of alien air like a punch, I suggest underline that these initial whiffs are hints... delicate suggestions of... but she being highly strung reacts to them as if...

oil-colored clouds that hung low and discontent in the sky - I think for subliminal rhythm's sake the clouds should be hanging low over something.

As Evanna stands taking in Zebroch, she seems all alone, no one else around her. I think you should insert one or two mentions of the other, so that they don't seem to appear out of thin air later on. I know they were mentioned before, but still, they seem to withdraw into suspended animation in this scene.

The wires tipping the fence crackled with a light that she could see even from the ground: it was electrified - would not be amiss to mention some excuse for the visibility of the phenomenon - something to to with Zebroch's colors, or physics, or air... Or get some tiny critters to get fried on the fence and thus illustrate the current. Or have Evanna remember the current, or better yet, have someone from her group say it to her, perhaps attached to some sort of reminiscence.

The distant roar of zeppelins - roar? I would imagine dive bombers roaring.

Compare this: Here, the silence pressed upon her like sluggish water, making her fear for a wild second that she was drowning.... to this: Inside the cabin the air had been clean and neutral, but now it pressed upon her from all sides, bursting with dark intentions and the mingled stench of coal and sewage.

Evanna, for her part, was too winded to protest even though it hurt where he’d shoved her. She could feel bruises already beginning to flower across her back - I'd say we need at least a minute's worth of stuff to happen, before she feels the bruises flower.

Though she forced herself to mentally repeat those words, she still trembled as the little group approached a gateway set in the wall, at either side of which stood two guards with rifles. The guards chaperoning the group saluted and the gate guards saluted back. - the guards seem unfazed by all the commotion. Have her note that, try to take heart from that, or at least wonder about it.

Ithrey hesitated, his brow furrowing - The guard sitting behind a desk took Tal’s offered card and examined it with a furrowed brow my brow furrowed as I caught his pattern :D

Evanna noticed with rising discomfort that the other people huddled beneath the wall were turning to stare at the scene with fish-like eyes - there's a bit of a time lag here. I suggest that the other locals turn to stare the moment our people surround the egg-throwers. Otherwise we have the locals this time dissappear into limbo /while our group moves/ only to reappear a few seconds later.

For the first time Evanna understood why the Zerbrochians were so fond of dyeing their hair - thought she understood

The boy swallowed hard and ran ahead of the group, the bright streaks in his hair a beacon in the gloom. For the first time Evanna understood why the Zerbrochians were so fond of dyeing their hair. Ithrey was quick to follow, marching the girl in front of him as he walked, his knife still upon her quivering throat. Again Evanna was last, her neck aching sympathetically even though Ithrey’s knife was nowhere near the girl’s nape.
She wondered if she could ever talk to Ithrey normally after this. Now knowing that he was this kind of person…but in a strange way, it made sense. If Ithrey really was from Zerbroch, then it stood to reason that he knew how to fight like a Zerbrochian.
As the strange procession moved away from the wall, dozens of sharp eyes followed them. Few of the wall denizens were lucky enough to witness so much excitement in one day
. - between paragraph 1 and 2 insert paragraph 3 or some similar brief description which keeps the events from taking place in a void. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the last sentence about the denizens. If the narration is still through Evanna's eyes, then would she know that? I mean the ammount of daily excitement. Anyway, seems to contradict the reports of the soldiers how exciting stuff is always happening.

The deeper they headed into the city, the wider the narrow lanes between the shanties grew, and the shanties themselves disappeared to be replaced by buildings. - this city comes a bit out of nowhere, I suggest you pave the way for its appearance by having it loom beyond the slum as they step into Zebroch or something. One or two brief mentions before it becomes it appears to become a setting for adventures.

The streets sloped downwards and became more and more crowded - 'more and more' doesn't seem enough, not after the buildup. Something like 'even more'...

Yet she couldn’t deny that she noticed them, each and every one. Her eyes lingered over web-like patterns of piercings on exposed skin and hair gelled into a starfish of glowing spikes. They adopted their bizarre appearances for a reason. - not certain what the intended meaning of this bit is, beyond a description of the appearance of the natives.

They weren’t Compiteum guards with uniforms and rifles, but their ramrod stiff postures and the glares they leveled upon the approaching procession clearly meant business. - Perhaps try for something better than 'clearly meant business'? Maybe 'illustrated their readiness and ability to...'

Two guards immediately shifted to cover the door, glaring at Ithrey with mutual hostility. - I think it's 'exchanging with Ithrey glances of mutual hostility'. Otherwise it reads like both guards hate each other's guts.

What, think y’can threaten us with a hostage, Compie?” snarled one guard, flexing his impressive muscles - striking a pose to show off his biceps? Heh. Anyway, he's in a leather jacket. How about stiffening his neck or growing red in the face, or screwing up his face or something? Talking of leather jackets - what is the air temperature there anyway? A mention would add another subliminal believability layer.

Ithrey?” The guards exchanged startled glances before staring suspiciously at Ithrey. - with renewed intensity of a different kind?

And if Evanna looked closely, she saw that the carpet was beginning to peel away from the walls, and it was mildewing slightly, adding a hint of musk to the air that, combined with the perfume, made Evanna feel ill. - I think after 'slightly' it's all redundant stuff and conjecture, perhaps one-two other details of stuff being crappier than it first seems would be better. But! Since they are trekking toward a meeting with the warlord, lives hanging in the balance etc, and not on a sightseeing tour, I suggest that in spite of her tension Evanna's mind manages to register details here and there. Because they are fine details, but the way in which they are perceived I think can be bettered. Too leisurely for now.

Not only was Ithrey a native of Zerbroch, he must have been important, too. She burst with questions, but couldn’t figure where to start. Or even if he’d answer. He looked strained, his forehead creased and his hands balled into tight fists… - and hopefully she also understood that now was not the time...

The Warlord snapped his fingers and the women curled beneath his throne dispersed. - heh, how about 'uncurled'

Great scene with the shouting match as the warlord's son loses it. Great details. How about spelling out that Jen's arrival diffuses the spontaneous emotional situation which is a breath away from bloodshed.

Again, after this scene I became too involved in the book to be able to see it in sentence by sentence basis:) Not for a long while at least.

The security, at times, seems too lax. For instance at the gateway to Tiandra. More guards dealt with by some cunning tactic or other would require less burdensome efforts to suspend disbelief, and could inject an adventure burst interlude. Understaffed or not, the gateway is no warehouse, at least two three guards, even if poorly trained should be there I'd say.

Sarastro struck the guard on the side of the head with the flat of the blade. It was heavy enough to knock him out cold
- the blow, or the sword was heavy enough? Perhaps fuse the sentences and get something like ...on the side of the head with the flat of the blade knocking him out cold...

The lord quickly crossed the room and inserted key after key into the lock, trying to find the one that fit best. After his fourth try, he was rewarded with a satisfying click, and with a turn of the key, the lock sprung open
- I think the lock can spring open directly after the satisfying click.

When she reached the door, Sarastro pushed it wide open and gestured for her to leave before him
- 'leave'? Time to summon captain rewordo and his sidekick rewrito.

compare this: In the distance she glimpsed a row of slender towers, small as chess pieces... with this: Lined up like chess pieces in front of the building was a row of burly men in leather jackets.

Evanna closed her eyes and sucked in a deep breath of flower-scented air. She decided that she liked this world much better than the previous two. - sounds like she had just been through two and this is the third one. But that is not the case, the trips were interrupted by returns to home base, so perhaps just inserting their names will snap this sentence into shape.

“Ah, that’s because,” Sarastro said, “there was a plague many years back in Feras
. - 'Sarastro said' should be right after 'Ah'

By now, Evanna doubted that Nilmar’s bad mood resulted from Sarastro’s megalomania. But what could have agitated her so? - too wordy, and rather artificial. How about having Evanna jus realizing that something must really be upsetting the critter?

It didn’t belong to such a young-looking girl./the voice/- but you just said she said that, haha. Captain rewordo must do his thing here.

“I’m fine,” she managed to say. “I—I really am. Come on, let’s keep going.”
“Are you sure?” Sarastro said. “Was that not enough of a lead? Or do you want to find out more?”
“I want to find out more,” Evanna said, stomping forward. “Let’s go.”
- Is Sarastro suddenly conceding that Evanna is the important decision-taker of the two and the detective? Sounds so unlike him.

Like the paving on the ground, they were hewn from an ivory-colored, marble-like material that shimmered the colors of the rainbow when the sunlight caught it. - or - marble-like material which the sun's rays lit up in rainbows of color. Or something.

Compare this: She was so wrapped in her thoughts that she didn’t pay attention to her surroundings... to this: Evanna scurried to catch up to him. Lost in her thoughts, she hadn’t noticed the others heading out the door. I furrowed my brows and then knitted them as I realized this is a reccuring plot device. Then I clenched my fists, gritted my teeth and felt my stomach knot. Hehe, I love the pulps.

Just to say, that most of the stuff I bring your attention to is something which I happen to think will bring it closer to impeccability. For example the newest stuff by at least four all mega-selling giants I read in the last months is at places way worse as prose goes. But! They are already marketed as geniuses and milked for decades, thus they can get away with stuff which perhaps beginners can't get away with.

The scene with the void demon is great.

The demon had backed Sarastro against the statue. It surrounded him on all sides, reaching tentacle-like tendrils towards him. He sliced them in two whenever they came near him... - so, do they turn into tiny demons, or is there a size-ratio below which they don't?

The character develop very maturely. The descriptions of simple movements are also often mature and precise. The interaction between a girl and the magical and confusing world of grownups is also very well presented. Too well I'd say, heh. You style is a bit too good for the plot, no offense. A certain dissonance between the protagonist and the elaborate descriptions in which she operates. Or, in other words: I think that when you've polished your prose in this book to its optimum levels, it will become apparent that it's not simplistic enough for a YA adventure and not dead enough for a fantasy soap. When thinking of applying this style to your next project, I'd suggest seeing if any more adventure oriented tale, with or without horror and suspense elements, takes form. As it is now, your descriptive style is, I think, better suited for action-based and suspense-based, in short - thriller-based fantasy, with blood flowing, heroes and antiheroes clashing, fists colliding with faces, wounded screeching demons trashing on the ground etc. Zelazny-Moorcock-Howard style.
Or, when you do finish this novel, and do polish the prose, and do try to pitch it to a 'respectable' publisher as a book for the YA or soap field, then you'll have to be real convincing in your reasoning why this style will be popular. Something to so with counterprogramming perhaps:)
Robert Howard

117 Reviews

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 pm
napalmerski says...

...the rest of book 2

It was a circular chamber with a pointed ceiling that rose so high it vanished into gloom. The only light issued from basketball-sized spheres that drifted lazily across the ceiling, casting circles of pale light that moved like clouds. Otherwise the room was bathed in a darkness so complete that Evanna couldn’t remember how bright it had been outside. It felt like she had entered not a building in Tiandra, but another world. - here I see the same issue as with the light luring demon in book 1 - a complete darkness which isn't complete. How about just clothing everything in shadows and stuff, to evade the need to describe stuff which by rights should be invisible because there's complete darkness everywhere.

Tiered benches lined the walls of the chamber like amphitheater seats, enough to seat hundreds of people
- captain restructo to the rescue!:) how about cutting out 'lined the walls of the chamber', and putting it at the end of the sentence, after 'hundreds of people'?

The priests had appeared and surrounded Evanna, Sarastro, and Nilmar before they could figure out what was happening. Then the priests had marched the three to the temple, rebuffing every attempt to get answers. Evanna had been too shocked to think of fighting against the frail old priests. Sarastro must have been the same
- here we have three 'priest', of which I think two can be eliminated. How about "the three travelers were marched to the temple in complete silence, with every attempt to get some answers rebuffed". The third 'priests' may be exchanged for 'captors', and just 'frail', no need for 'old'. And also perhaps 'frail-looking', let's not jump to conclusions. They may turn out to be a bunch of Yodas for all we know at this stage:) And 'Sarastro must have been the same' sounds quite odd. Perhaps 'felt' instead of 'been'.

Very good emotional scenes, with a kid feeling both resentful and guilty as the adult accuses both rightly and wrongly. Great stuff. Makes everyone who remembers what it's like to be a kid start sweating:)
And Victor the Gregor, haha hehe

And the Sarastro and Ithray drama - excellent. You really seem to be at your top form in dramatic emotional scenes. Second place for action scenes. Third place for 'ordinary conversations and actions'.

She had run through the Institute’s winding halls, which had become so familiar to her, until she reached the main lobby and shouldered her way through the doors. Doors which, previously, she had never exited unless she was with a group. Not any longer. - The 'Not any longer' should either be amputated, or expanded or somehow changed. Otherwise it's just a useless stub which hints at relating to the previous sentence but is more baffling than useful.

Evanna had done her best to banish her memories of the house, certain that she would never see it again. It was better to forget. - "It had been better to forget, or so she had believed then."

Evanna had thought she’d cried away all her tears, but renewed wetness stung the corners of her eyes and her throat convulsed in the throes of a sob. She whimpered and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. Her neck gave a twinge that almost sent her to her knees. - The last sentence disrupts the narrative rhythm, because it's structured like heroic fantasy. 'Her opponent dealt her a terrific blow which almost sent her to her knees.' Here though, it's an emotional situation for a little girl, so I suggest you illustrate with something else her reaction to the neck twinge, maybe a momentary darkening of her sight, or her head spinning, or indeed almost losing her balance and stumbling, just no 'drawing forth' of ordinary stuff from pockets, and no being sent to one's knees during a dramatic little girl feeling emotional moment.

As Evanna comes to after another demon attack in a strange bathroom, again your descriptions are impeccable, again conflicting with the 'darkness' around her. Here too, I call for gloom and shadows but not for darkness.

Just a thought - perhaps have someone from Evanna's immediate surrounding actually think or even speak from time to time about the demon attacks and wonder what might be up with that. Of course they might keep postponing doing something about it, but at least have someone take visible /audiable/ note of those occurrences.

About the 'shit' used by Ayrene Kruo. And others down the line. You're really cutting off your own branch if this novel is ever to see the light of the day marketed as a YA adventure /and I can't see it being marketed as anything else/. Smooth out and de-eleganize parts of the narrative and this is very publishable, I think. Well, I don't know what book 3 will offer, but so far I mean...

...But I must say, that for a while now in this part of the novel /Evanna is now twitching in spasms on the bathroom floor/ the girl has done nothing but cry, feel the world around her collapse, and feel her strength leave her. De-monotonize! And enough with the dreaded throat lump which keeps looming on the horizon.

The mayor has killed to get his key, but will not do a strip and cavity search of Evanna? How Edwardian of him:) How about having the demon charmer tell him that she has already searched Evanna, and the issue being Evanna confessing where she has hidden it.

As Evanna roams the house after lockpicking her way out of the bathroom, I think she shouldn't admire the details of the bangles, even she's not that schizophrenic, nor is she a samurai who blocks his fear and confusion at the drop of a hat in order to admire rose petals just before running a sword through the opponent. Have her note such stuff as if in passing, but not dwell on it, when the situation is emotiona-wise and plot-wise inappropriate for dwelling.

As she slips the bangle into her pocket, remind us of its weight again, otherwise it goes weightless. Let's have some discomfort or feeling of something heavy pressing down...

to land with an uncomfortably heavy thud on the floor below - sickeningly, frighteningly, ominously, unpleasantly, pleasingly, satisfyingly?

Though her heart was still hammering a war beat, it had calmed down from its earlier hummingbird-like flitting
. - narrative disruption here. Hammering a war beat is calmer than hummingbird-like flitting? The second evokes images of grace, of tiny vibrations. Perhaps the heart calms down from something else: from piston-like blabitty, or an epileptic woodpecker, etc.:)

On a global scale, I suggest cutting by half all references of Evanna's neck, or the nape of her neck. There is a mystery there I know, but still, too much neck. "Doctor, we have to amputate half the neck." "Nurse, put it right there with the throat-lumps and the choking sobs and tears stinging the eyes."

When Gregor defeats the mayor's mechanical soldiers, at some point the mayor suddenly isn't there anymore. He has vanished into thin air from the narrative. Either have someone comment his vanishing act, or have someone notice him skulking away.

Argh, no, not a key in the neck... Hahahaha. Well - the mystery of the throbbing neck is solved, but does not even in hindsight validate more than 50% of the mentions of the neck.
Also, for disbelief's sake and stuff, I'm sure she would have probed her neck with her fingers and felt something there, have her dread a lethal lump and keep pushing this thought out of her head. Or something.

OK, I've said in this and the two previous reviews what I have to say of this saga, in short - it's 75% convincing solid stuff, at times too solid, smooth out the 25% and this'll be one ready two thirds of a book. /or maybe on whole first volume?/

Or in other words, this is the best stuff this length I've read on YWS.

Robert Howard

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 pm
Apple says...

How do I put this lightly...

If you do not keep typing this series of books; I will personally come to your house, and haunt you for the rest of you life! Trust me, I am crazy. I'll do it!

These books are so flippin' great I am so darn flippin' in love! You're so talented I was all like *gasp* I'm a fish taken out of the ocean. I won't review it, because everyone has already done a good job but I'll suggest that you read over some parts because I did find a few spelling or wording errors. Emphasis on few!

So, you should hurry up and write it! Or else!!! DUN DUN DUHHHHHH!!

Also, as I want to see these published one day - and they better be because I am going to take creepy stalking to a whole new level - I think that you should make these parts (you know, part 1 and part 2) instead of individual books. They're to small to really be published into individual books.... :D
I spy!

I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
— Roald Dahl