z

Young Writers Society

Friendship, Fantasy and Fast Food

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:20 am
Jay says...

This is a story I just finished writing, and I'm pretty nervous about posting it here.
(it's the first chapter and prologue)
Here goes...
Attachments
Friendship, Fantasy and Fast Food.doc
Urban fantasy that's hopefully funny
(52 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:33 am
Pattycakes says...

A more thorough review and proofreading is attached. My comments are in red, your story is in blue. Hope this helped!

General comments: Some of the cross-outs and replacements are suggestions, I just felt they sounded better. I like this story quite a bit. The system of magic seems fairly innovative compared to a lot of what I read (I.E. you don't you 'runes' or 'chi' or 'wands'). The characters are all pretty funny. They could use a little further development maybe physically, I can't really picture all of these people that well.
The plot is a little ambiguous at this point but I like where it's headed a lot. The multiple stories are weaved together well. Very open ended from here. The setting is a little bizarre, like it all of a sudden turns out they're on Earth. It's a good surprise but it also kinda through me out of the story.
Your dialouge is very good and crisp. The banter between character's was believable and humorous, this was one of the stronger points of your writing.
Your description could use some work though. When you meet people or walk into rooms you see them but also smell, hear, and touch them/things. Describe this part of it, use all of their senses. Detail locations, show what the school looks like, show what the corner drug store looks like. Describe things along side the road as they walk home. Make your world come alive in my mind!
I thought your writing ability is fairly strong and you were excellent at keeping the piece relatively error free. I thought many parts of this were very imaginative and I very much enjoyed reading this. If you have any questions or anything feel free to PM me.
Attachments
Friendship, Fantasy and Fast Food edited.doc
Expanded Review
(112 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:38 am
andimlovegalore says...

Ooh I read about this in the Writer's Corner =] I'll definately get onto reviewing it soon. I promise ^_~

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 am
W says...

There you go. il your plot sounds pretty interesting, the whole story started to feel a bit band because of your lackluster, and in many places, nonexistance descriptions of people/places. All of your chaarcters, minus Adolph, felt extremely bland and flat because of your weak dialouge and expression of emotion. You need to give these characters events to display their personalities with. Have Kemsyt think about the bully some more, maybe showing the reader how cowardly he is, or how angry he is at Alberic. Something that shows these chaacters have emotions. Kemsyt, Eleanora, Claudius, and Tilly all had the same dialouge; flat and emotionless dribble that could've switched with any other character in the chapter and no one would notice.

By the end of the chapter, Tilly's mind thing interested me at first, but the characters were so dull I hardly cared about it later. You have to improve this, along with your descriptional abilities, if you're going to make me care about your world at all. Cause right now, I really don't.

Good luck writing! I'm not too good spotting grammer, or spelling, or anything, so I just detailed in red where I think things need to change.
Attachments
Friendship,_Fantasy_and_Fast_Food2.doc
chapter review
(42 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:18 am
Jamie_rocks says...

Okay, I'm a first time advanced critiquer, so let's see if I can figure out how this works.

Okay, I like your writing style and it seems to me like you've got a pretty decent story plot going. A few parts I pointed out were choppy, and there were quite a few grammar mistakes that I caught. I think it's short to be placed in this section though; it hardly took any time at all to critique. Since there wasn't that much, three's not much else I can say, other than that I'll be following your progress.
Attachments
Okay, I think I did it right
(53.5 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:27 pm
Stori says...

I corrected some mistakes. A few lines were cut off, but I might have done that. *smites mouse*
Attachments
(45 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.
— Edgar Allan Poe