Young Writers Society

D is for Diphtheria

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:15 am
Sam says...

D IS FOR DIPHTHERIA:

Written November 2007.

Synopsis: Carl Malloy isn't much of anything. Besides being a star employee at the local Dairy Queen in the town of New Prague, Nebraska, most of his time spent hiding from life in general and idolizing a godlike lifeguard who leant him a towel after a disaster involving someone else's vomit. But when a locker room encounter goes terribly awry, he finds himself in Dr. Kaufmann's office--a psychologist interested particularly in Aggressive Teens. In Group Therapy he meets a girl named Sukie, a half-Japanese, half-insane child prodigy with "maladjustment issues"--and soon, she becomes his (only) best friend.

When his father hits a stray ball deep into the woods lining the golf course, they make a discovery as unexpected as it is shocking, hurling both Carl and Sukie into the paths of sociopathic class presidents, teenaged burnouts, forbidden lovers, travelling preachers and a woman who claims herself to be a hundred and fifty years old--both, all the while, desperately seeking the truth regarding a town that was never supposed to exist.

___

Notes: I'll put up the chapters as I re-edit them. I'm absolutely horrid at formatting, so if you see any mistakes, please holler at me. ^_^ Other than that, any type of feedback would be lovely! It doesn't have to be a huge, story-altering thing--just a few thoughts would make my day.
Attachments
Dch1.doc
Chapter One (already posted on YWS): in which we meet Carl.
(38 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by Sam on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:24 am
Joeducktape says...

Sam, I really enjoyed this. Your style is wonderful, and your words exact. This is great because it creates a clear picture. When I read the interaction between Carl and the woman, I (cringingly) imagined some of the women I see at the local Wal-Mart. You're very good at creating real, round characters.

Well, enough with the good stuff! On to my critique of the first chapter. (Sorry, there's not much there.)
Attachments
Dch1.doc
(6.93 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by Joeducktape on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

104 Reviews

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:30 am
Joeducktape says...

CHAPTER 2:

Overall, very enjoyable! Sukie felt very moody and teenaged, but not so angsty that she made me want to strangle her. She felt very well developed. Also, the image of Sukie on the shag carpet with fashion magazines was great.

The ending was excellent. I think you excel at endings.

On the flip side, I felt that this chapter was not as concise as One, and there were a few typos that need fixing. (Gasp!)

Well, on with the show!
Attachments
Dch2.doc
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:00 am
Emerson says...

I can't argue with you. Two was not as well done as one... not at all, I dare say.

I'll be horrendously brief, but you can poke more out of me if you would like. ^_^ I think your fault lied in Suki--she was characterized, but very poorly. I know hardly anything about her, her mother, her father, or their situation. I can't imagine Suki as a person. I can't see her walking down the street. I cannot, in a way, wrap myself around her in this first chapter. I can't even tel how old she is. She seems like a stubborn child, really.

Nothing like what I remember from that short you wrote a while ago with Suki. She seemed a lot more lively then.
Attachments
Dch2.doc
(60.5 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

2058 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:29 am
Emerson says...

Ah, Carl. I do love him. ^_^ Not much to pick at. This chapter was pretty conflictless, more like "this is happening. Yeah." And it didn't offer much than what was happening. I would have liked if you went into the Asian girl a bit more, because she is easily the conflict of the story, one can see. I'm kind of stingy, I like continued conflict, or at least, a reason to continue reading. True! I love Carl and that is a GREAT reason to continue to read! But so early into the story as this, I think you just need slightly more of a continued hook. Ja?

Otherwise, joyously neat. Still, not as great as the first, but there isn't anything I could complain about. I don't know. It didn't have chapter ones pazas. And that is a word.
Attachments
Dch3.doc
(78.5 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

104 Reviews

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Joeducktape says...

Yay, chapter three! Much more satisfying than chapter two.

Over all, I enjoyed this. I liked the moment with Carl and the shoes, and Babcia is grand, no? Just a few things that need some adjustment, and most of these are nitpicky/pre-covered by Suzanne above.

Also, apologies for taking so long. School musical rehearsals. -_-

More please!

Love,

Haley
Attachments
Dch3.doc
(9.61 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by Joeducktape on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:51 am
Snoink says...

1) Carl needs to have testosterone implants. Seriously.

Carl in my mind looks like this:

2) The woman reminds me of the people who go to Wal-Mart. Poor [s]Kenneth[/s] Carl. But he's lame in the way he deals with it. xD

3) Mick is maybe the only normal person so far in this story. Except he's NOT normal because he reminds me of this person:

Without the weird body guards, anyway. ;)

And the story is slightly interesting!

Here are my nit-picky comments:
Attachments
Dch1.doc
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

104 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:17 pm
Joeducktape says...

Hey, Sam! Yays for more D.

HALEY'S SATISFACTION LEVEL: High

This chapter was really great. I especially loved Boone. No major problems except for your misspelling of Y'ALL, which I mentioned. Twice.

*bitter Tennessean*

Anyway, on with it!
Attachments
Dch4.doc
(12.51 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

2058 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:42 pm
Emerson says...

I have to say that I think Snoink is a fool for not loving Karl. And who cares if Mick is normal? He's a creep. And I think I would be scared if Karl had testosterone. I think Todd would also be scared. XD
Attachments
Dch4.doc
(96 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

2058 Reviews

Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 am
Emerson says...

Bwahah. My eyes did not burn with the "wrong chapter" although this one made more sense.

Have fun editing! And, oh, how I cannot wait for Todd to actually appear.
Attachments
Dch5.doc
(81.5 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:46 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

^_^ Thanks for reading and commenting on my story! I didn't find much, so this probably won't be all that helpful.

Just one question: Where's chapters 2 and 4???
Attachments
Dch1.doc
(69.5 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

1258 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:21 am
Sam says...

Thanks, Sleeping Valor. ^_^

I recently made the decision to switch the story into just one POV, and so that's why 2 and 4 are gone. I'm currently re-working the other parts, and so hopefully there'll be a re-vamped two up very soon. Plot changes are kind of messy.

- Demetri Martin

104 Reviews

Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:03 am
Joeducktape says...

*Impatiently taps foot*

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

1258 Reviews

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:23 am
Sam says...

Silly Haley. XD

So, I decided to completely revamp the first part of the book. Here's the second chapter, so completely disregard everything you read after the first part...*people run away screaming*

I probably should be responsible and whatnot and mention that ratings will probably range from about PG-13 to R from here on out, depending on the chapter. It's mostly language, but later on there's a lot more fun things. Ish. I'll put a tag on things that could be offensive and whatnot.
Attachments
ywsd2.doc
(47 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

- Demetri Martin

104 Reviews

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:21 am
Joeducktape says...

Yay! It's up. For me? Aw, Sam, you shouldn't have!

This was a nice (and drastic) change from your last chapter. It feels like we're definitely getting somewhere quicker, and that's good, I think. However, there were a few things that bugged me. Basically, this chapter was good, but it could still use some polishing.

One cool thing: I really like Carl, and find myself wishing I knew what he looked like. You've done well with not mentioning any physical details right away, so now I want them. 10 points to Sam!

[spoiler]Also: THEY PEE'D IN HIS SHOES! *cries*[/spoiler]
Attachments
ywsd2[2].doc
(13.35 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot