z

Young Writers Society

Advanced Critiques Questions

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:03 pm
CK Lynn says...

What if you do two in-depth critiques before posting your first story? Would you still have to do two afterwords?

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:43 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Nopes. It's 2:1. So long as you have done 2 crits for every 1 story you put up, you're covered. ^_^
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

253 Reviews

Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:49 pm
CK Lynn says...

Okay, I've been trying to critique this one story, but every time I go to put an attachment on my reply, it doesnt work.

Here's what I'm doing, tell me what's not right:

Clicking downlowd.

Clicking open (should I click save?)

Going to the post reply screen after editing

Typing in the flie's name in the attachment box

Clicking submit.

But some how, it's not working. Does anybody know what I have to do differently?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:52 pm
Emerson says...

Yes, you should save it to your computer after you critique it.

If you don't save it then essentially there is no file to be uploaded. You'll click the "browse" button, and then look for the file.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

253 Reviews

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:28 pm
CK Lynn says...

Yeah, I tried to save it, but it glitched word or something and I got one of those "this program is not responding" messages. I am using Vista, anmd it has a bunch of extra-security junk. Could that be the problem? Or should I click "save" instad of "run" when the downlod menu comes up?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 pm
Emerson says...

Click save instead of run, to see what happens.

It could be that the file isn't compatible with Vista, but I doubt that. Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about Vista, so I might not be any help.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 pm
Meshugenah says...

eck. i haven't tried to upload anything from Vista here, yet, but I've already had compatibility problems with sending files from word. The problem has to do with how documents are saved -- the new version of word saves in .xdoc, not .doc, and I haven't had time yet to figure out how to get it to save .doc, or something that every one else can open. So er, that may be the problem, but I don't know. Nate?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

253 Reviews

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:57 pm
CK Lynn says...

Oh, I do know how to save it to make it compatible with older versions of word, which I think makes it save in .doc. When you go to the "save as" menu, there's a thing at the bottom that allows you to save it as different types of documents.

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:06 pm
MidnightVampire says...

yeah. that little thingy. I think it may also be word, because I tried attaching something for an critique of long work, and i wouldn't attach. So, I had to PM it to the person, which was terrible. I might try using appleworks if you have it on one of your computers. I don't know though.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 pm
Eyes of Eden says...

O.K I have a question.

Is this the only place to put our novel chaps?
Cuz my novel chaps are all on average 15 pages/6,000 words on Microsoft word.

Is this the only place to go for long chaps? cuz I'm SERIOUSLY going to try and get this published and am in need of desperate help but all the other categories discourage anything more than 1,500 words.

HELP!!!!
Hey unfaithful, I will teach you to be stronger.
Hey ungraceful, I will teach you to forgive one another.
Hey unloving... I will love you.

~Underoath - Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Other's Escape.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:47 pm
JFW1415 says...

You don't have to, but it's unlikely anyone will read it if it's in the other forums.

Then again, you can request reviews in 'Will Review For Food,' and they'll critique a long piece no matter where it is.

~JFW1415

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:22 pm
Dreamworx95 says...

Can you post stories here that are already posted in another section?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 pm
View Likes
Jamie_rocks says...

Okay, I know this question has been asked before, but there was two different answers, and I'm not sure which one is right.

If my chapters are each around 3.5k words, do I have to post them in groups of two to make them over 5k words, or can I post them separately?

Sorry to ask again, but I didn't know who's answer to take.
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:55 pm
Icaruss says...

Doesn't posting your story by chapters defeat the whole purpose of the Advanced Critiques section?
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:54 pm
Nate says...

Icaruss wrote:Doesn't posting your story by chapters defeat the whole purpose of the Advanced Critiques section?

Indeed it does.

The Advanced Critiques section is for novels. If you're planning to post your novel chapter by chapter, then publish it in the appropriate forum, but not here.

Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. I'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus