z

Young Writers Society

JulNoWriMo - Until Next Year!

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:25 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Gah, I want to get started as soon as midnight gets here, but I have work tomorrow, and I can't be tired :(. This is a dilemma. >_<
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:57 pm
Wariofart says...

It's Jullllllyyyy for me!

And i don't feel like writing at all. Wow. Oh well, I'll spend this time plotting and character analyzing.

Also, is there anyone who still needs an elephant? This thread is getting so popular, I need to make a list of all the participants.
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:48 pm
Masquerade says...

OhMahGosh, I almost forgot it was July! *frantically types*
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm
Tenyo says...

I have a main character!
I have two main characters...

Which one do I use?

Both! :D Okay, time to begin a catastrophy.
We were born to be amazing.

260 Reviews

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

All right!*cracks knuckles* It's time for me to get this party/debacle (darty? parbacle?) started!

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 pm
austenite says...

zankoku_na_tenshi wrote:All right!*cracks knuckles* It's time for me to get this party/debacle (darty? parbacle?) started!

I love parbacles!!!! *Joins in with balloons and streamers*

I'm so excited - I'm working late/early shifts tonight and tomorrow, but I've set myself a 500 word goal for when I get home - no sleep until 500 words is done! Then I'm off on Sunday/Monday for a writing spree!!!!!
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:31 pm
Wariofart says...

Day three of JulNoWriMo, and...nobody has posted. Oh well, I guess I'll throw up a quick status report.

Day 2 Stats - Words: 1692/25000 (on track!)
Chapters done: 1

So far, I'm really liking my novel. I've tried a bunch of new things when it came to this (changing the tense and perspective, cutting down on the number of characters, adding more description), but I think it's paying off. I really feel like you can get a good idea of the character I'm writing as. Plus, I'm on track with my word count!!!

How is everyone else doing? Is there anyone who is already floundering under the pressure to write? Are there people who have already written an absurd amount of words? I neeed details! Now, back to writing
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:52 pm
ultraviolet says...

OK, well I guess I'll post. My word goal is 20,000, and so far I have written 1,000 or so. Of course, it's been the weekend mostly, so as soon as the week starts I'll probably get a lot more done. I'm really loving my character and the story so far, and I just worked out some key details, so my plot is getting finalized. (I had a week to come up with something before this started.)

I think my biggest problem is not rewriting it. (I've been failing at this.) But I feel like if I don't know exactly what I am going to end up saying, I am either going to be redundant with a piece of information or I am going to not include something. I know this is what revising is for, but I can't really help myself.

How's everyone else doing?
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

31 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:56 pm
austenite says...

Not so good. I had to work yesterday and all of today, so I've had no chance to write (the laziest excuse in the world, I know!) Tomorrow I'm off though, so hopefully the sun will be shining and I can go and sit in the sun and write...ALL DAY! YAY!

Sitting at just 1500 at the moment, due to go up later tonight.
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Oscar Wilde

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:17 am
Masquerade says...

For anyone having issues keeping on track (hehe me) I would recommend using Write Or Die on the most difficult setting. The online one is free and fantastic, but the one you can buy is pretty good too, and not too expensive. It doesn't work for some people, but it helps me.

Unfortunately, part of my novel is written on paper, so I'm having a hard time telling if I'm on track or not, and I can't use write or die. I'm kind of being weird with this novel. About half of it is in a notebook and half of it is on my computer, and I'm not writing it chronologically. :?
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:18 am
ultraviolet says...

What does write or die actually do if you don't make your word goal? (The few times I've done it I've gotten my goal, so.)
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:55 am
Kibble says...

Okay, this proves there is definitely a second-year curse on Wrimos, and NO, doing Julnowrimo instead of Nano does not in any way "dodge" this! Ugh. I have written exactly 1080 words and I hate the whole thing.

Anyway, I have a few options:
1. Quit outright.
2. Seriously reduce the word goal.
3. Quit this thing and write something else -- tempting as I'm only 1080 words in, but at the same time... that's another 1080 words I'll have to write to get on track. I'm not exactly in love with any of my other ideas, so there's no guarantee anything I choose won't crash and burn as well.
4. Push ahead. Even though I am so uninterested in my MCs I forgot what I decided to name them. And there are only two MCs so far.

Has anyone been through this in a Wrimo before? Which of the above options might work best?

Thanks!
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:34 pm
canislupis says...

Well, I'm late. But I'm joining! Going for 50,000 yet again this year. It'll be my.... *counts* fifth Wrimo novel, though only my second Julno.

Current Wordcount: A big fat zero! But I have an outline. *sigh* I'd better get to work immediately.

260 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Day four~! I literally wasn't at home at all yesterday, so I'm playing catch-up today. XD Next week doesn't look to bad for me at work, though, I've got a lot of day shifts, which means I'll actually be home at a reasonable hour. I want to get ahead this week anyway, so I'm prepared for when my family goes off on vacation at the end of the week.

Kibble: I think I'm feeling the curse a little, too unfortunately. It probably doesn't help that I picked up in mid-chapter of last year's JulNo, and I'm having some trouble getting the old atmosphere back. >_< It's like... uhm, this is a comedy. Where are the jokes. XD I'm not sure if I can give you any good advice, but I say keep on trying! It's better to have 50,000 crappy words then no words at all. After all, you can't edit a blank page.

Anyway, what are everybody's novels about? I'm curious. :D

31 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:36 pm
austenite says...

I'm planning an epic all nighter, and then I've got tomorrow off and hopefully the sun is shining (it poured down with rain today) and I can sit in the gardens and write on the laptop!!

My JulNo is me continuing my 'The Fall' short stories by piecing them together. Alexa Young was accepted into the American Ballet School in New York, but a performance at the end of the summer left her dreams of being a prima ballerina shattered after breaking her leg. Two doctors and one leg reconstruction later, Alexa is having to deal with everything at once. Her best friend is dating a pothead who treats her like crap. Alexa's parents are too busy organizing charity fundraisers and covering up their extra-marital activities to care about Alexa's progress with her physiotherapist, who just happens to be McDreamy and McSteamy with a surfboard, who thinks she should go back to basic ballet classes. Then there's Seth, who Alexa wants to be more than just a friend to. Or does she? It doesn't help that the school jock has taken an interest in her either.

Woooo for staying up on coffee and Journey!!
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Oscar Wilde

It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman