Reviews: 58
Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:49 pm
LilyJamey says...

So I was checking my inbox and read this message:

To: LilyJamey
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:16 am
Subject: Possible publication
Hi,

I read your story 'Green Waters' which I thought was very good.

I am the Editor of WESTMIDZ Youth Magazine in the UK you may visit our website www.westmidz.com, though please bear in mind the site is still under construction and is not up to date.

We would be interested in publishing your work on our website, if you would like to discuss this opportunity please email me: nafisa@westmidz.com. I am a writer and poet myself if you would like to see examples of my work, you may visit my website at www.nafisaahmedi.com.

Thanks,
Nafisa

I've done a little background research on her, with Demi's help, and she looks legit, although her punctuation sounds slightly doubtful. How do I respond?
Got YWS?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:42 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

Oh ya this seems REAL legit.

"ยจ The first edition will receive wide publicity all over the region as there will be an exclusive event launch with the presence of high profile guest of honour (tba soon on our website www.westmidz.com)"

"The magazine will publish articles on lifestyle such as healthy eating and nutritional education, benefits of keeping fit and exercising regularly, dangers of drug and alcohol abuse and dangers of smoking as well bringing awareness to youth on diseases such as lung cancer, cervical cancer, STDs and the importance of practising safe sex"

And:

" * guest of honour tba
* first issue going to print Jan '09
* launch event details coming soon"

Seriously, I don't believe it for a moment. This is currently feb, not Jan. Her resume says she was editor for 2008, the magazine isn't even published and its 2009. The 'team' consists of two people. This doesn't seem to be legitimate or even have a remote chance of being published at all. With you being 13 and all, it seems more unusual that they would want your work when their goals are well... probably not close to what you write about.

If they wanted to be serious, they would have included the source of where they found your work, what they liked and how you would be involved. This seems too generic and a bit odd for me. Afterall what work is she referring to? Are you even aware of it? Did you place your work somewhere to be noticed? If you have no idea, chances are this won't end well for you.

First off, since you are under 18. Speak to your parents after getting all the information about this publisher and how they figured out about your work. If you don't think something is right, and they are sure something is off, then don't do it.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:17 pm
Krupp says...

Yeah this just seems sketch. Don't buy it at all.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:46 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Whoa. Whoa. Do NOT trust this, LilyJamey.

Things like:

website www.westmidz.com, though please bear in mind the site is still under construction and is not up to date.

Are making excuses for a scam website.

If this company was reputable, wouldn't they update their website?

As the editor, "Nafisa" should have signed with her full name and credentials listed

You should report this...

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:51 am
LilyJamey says...

Okay. It's in Other Fiction, by the way.

Thanks for all your help!

Lily.
Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:54 am
Sam says...

Yeah, I'm kind of doubtful. I actually fired off an e-mail to the editor with questions about what she was looking for--she'd originally contacted me about a story, but then seemed to want a poem. She was a nice enough woman, and probably not a scammer, but it's best to play it safe and wait until they get their act together a little bit before you submit.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Every really new idea looks crazy at first.
— Alfred North Whitehead