z

Young Writers Society

Exactly Seven Months Later...

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:05 pm
Audy says...

I've joined YWS on November 10 after having realized that I was actually dead-serious upon writing a story that had been configurating in my head for three years. This was my first attempt at writing a serious novel, with outlines, research, plot-- the whole shabang.

And I worked diligently o-o -cough- -giglesnort- Ahem. At least....I can honestly say that my fingers probably have gained muscle with all my typing.

Lately, it has seemed that my moods were affected by my writing. Scary isn't it? :o

If I were to have written 5,000 words that day, afterwards I would find myself euphoric and in light-hearted moods. *pokes signature* I remember once where I literally typed up an entire chapter in a day, finished, ran downstairs, hugged everyone, and then treated them all for a movie. On the contrary, when I found myself not to have written anything in weeks, I was snappish, frustrated, and my grades suffering. It got that far.

I am glad to say 120,000 words later on June 10th ( exactly seven months afterwards) I have finished the first draft of my novel. Anyone would have thought, with my screams, that I might have won the lottery. Trust me, it felt that good.

So thus begins the second step in my journey: the 2nd draft phase. Writing the first draft was something I had to do on my own, and something where I needed complete isolation. Just me and my story. I was paranoid that if I posted it too early I would begin to rely on other's opinions too much and ultimately lose the real joy that I get in writing completely and solely for myself.

I figured that this step is the one that I would need the most help and support in, as editing has never really been a big motivator for me. So this is where I shall vent, or I might just create a blog or something. So if anyone has any tips before I venture into the dangerous waters of the editing process, I would try to soak it all in.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:43 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Congrats! It's great that you finished the first draft. I plan to finish The Elements this summer, and put a serious dent in Betrayed and Plagued.

If you want me to critique it, I'd be glad to. Unless it's romance.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:59 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Wow, 120,000! I'm impressed. Seriously, I'm having trouble eeking 60,000 out of my brain. But I don't know, maybe I'll surprise myself.

Congratulations!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:39 pm
chocoholic says...

Congrats! It's a nice feeling, I agree. Although I've never been able to do 120'000 words. And I've never been able to afford to take my family out to the movies.

Let me know if you need any help in the second draft phase. But first of all, leave it for a couple of months. Start something new so you can look at your novel later with critical eyes.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:45 pm
pegasi_quill says...

Wow that's brilliant! :D

Yeah, I'm still working on a first draft of my novel and it's already taken me, about 14 months. I'm a slow worker *blushes*

Anyway, that's great! I'll be happy to critique if you want me to, if you post it up here :)
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:25 pm
Krupp says...

120,000 words? That's something I haven't quite achieved yet...still working to hit that milestone.

At any rate, congratulations, and good luck editing the story to your heart's content.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:17 pm
Logic says...

So that's an average of... 550 words a day :shock:

I struggle to get half that!

Anyhow, congrats and I am sure it will be a great success!
Sir Logic, the puzzle of DOOM.

Meh

696 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:10 pm
Audy says...

Thank you everyone ^_^ I'll be editing around a month from now, and then I might post some of the chapters up. I've got the prologue already up.

So that's an average of... 550 words a day

120,000 words? That's something I haven't quite achieved yet...still working to hit that milestone.

Congrats! It's a nice feeling, I agree. Although I've never been able to do 120'000 words. And I've never been able to afford to take my family out to the movies.

Yeah ^_^; it'll need to be cut down some I think. As for writing everyday, I've learned the hard way it's better just to write whenever the story comes and try not to force yourself to write when you can't, or come up with deadlines, because then you'll just be worried about finishing instead of the actual writing process. It's not something you want to rush, so I suggest for anyone who might be wanting to know, to just take your time in writing it out and enjoy yourselves.

I always just took it one scene at a time and I had the entire thing outlined so I knew exactly where I was going, which saved me some time I think.

Also, my brother really helped me a lot in finishing. Every time I typed up a chapter I would email him, and he would let me know what he thought, so that really motivated me into finishing.

Anyways, I could go on forever about novel writing, so if anyone wants any advice or tips, give me something to do and pm me ^_^ I'll be happy to share what I know based on my experiences.

Thanks again everyone :)

~ Audrey

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 pm
Tyd says...

Very awesome! I one day hope too, that you will visit my thread if I ever finish my first draft :X But all the same, congratulations; finishing a first draft is no walk in the park. If the internets would allow me, i'd put my hand through my computer and give you a pat on the back :P Keep us posted.
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

Random avatar

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:38 am
thunder_dude7 says...

...write whenever the story comes and try not to force yourself to write when you can't, or come up with deadlines, because then you'll just be worried about finishing instead of the actual writing process. It's not something you want to rush, so I suggest for anyone who might be wanting to know, to just take your time in writing it out and enjoy yourselves.

Unless you're doing NaNoWriMo :smt043

696 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:17 am
Audy says...

Very awesome! I one day hope too, that you will visit my thread if I ever finish my first draft :X But all the same, congratulations; finishing a first draft is no walk in the park. If the internets would allow me, i'd put my hand through my computer and give you a pat on the back Razz Keep us posted.

Will do, and thank you Tyd ^_^ The pat on the back was felt just the same over on this end, but I shall make a personal note to look for you on these boards, one of these days. Just gotta persevere :)

Unless you're doing NaNoWriMo

lol! I've never done NaNoWriMo, though I could have done it last year, had I known about it at the time. Darn. Well yeah, my advice probably won't work then xP In that case, perhaps the important thing would just be to keep yourself interested in the story. Let your work surprise you and create engaging characters beforehand xP I have no idea. But November 08, definitely will try my hand at NaNo :)

Random avatar

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I'll probably do it and completely fail. I don't have much time in November.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 am
Avens Dolor says...

Congrats on the novel!

I'm pretty vetted when it comes to editing, so if you need any help, feel free to let me know. I'd suggest letting it sit for at least three weeks (I'd say three to six, depending on how you're feeling) and then take it out fresh. Edit on paper, not on the computer, especially for your first couple of drafts. Use bright ink so you don't miss anything when you're going back through to make changes to your computer file. Don't over think stuff, especially on the first revision--try and hit content (plot points, character) rather than actual diction.

Let me know if you start that blog--I'd love to read it!

Anna

I don't do time.
— Liberty