z

Young Writers Society

relay

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:03 am
View Likes
christy says...

I have a novel that I've slowly been working at since, according to my laptop records, November 2005. Which is funny since I remeber reading Writers Digest and looking at debut authors and their book gestation periods and thinking to myself 'I'll never be one of those writers who takes five years to write a book. I can write a manuscript in six months.' Anyways, I've recently gotten back into the second draft, which was put off because I lost the cord to my laptop and couldn't charge it.

My biggest concerns right now are that a) there doesn't seem to be enough time between events to fit in my various subplots--dealing with family and past criminal activity issues, basic loveness, and dealing with growing up-- and b) I'm very much afraid that professionals will not like my protagonists first name. Which is Pyro, and he's a firestarter. I'm trying to decide how I would explain it, or if I should just change his name, but keep Pyro as his nickname. Frustrating. I'm really struggling with the idea of changing the name of a character I've had since forever and a day.

Massive amounts of random research have got me thorougly acquainted with the city of Detroit (by now, I could give you directions to two hospitals and tell you where Jerry Bruckheimer graduated from) and if anyone's from Detroit I would LOVE to talk to you and it would be SUPERBLY helpful.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun May 04, 2008 12:44 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Well, first of all, don't write for the professionals - write for yourself. If you like Pyro and that's firmly, inescapably, irrevocably his name...well, that's that. And I'm sorry, I'm not from Detroit and I've never even visited.

I feel your pain about the story. I told myself my novel would be finished by this summer, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a little longer lol. My problem is that my stories keep telling me more and more things about themselves so I'm having to go back and edit their life-stories and stuff.

Anyway, good luck on the story! :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)