z

Young Writers Society

A quote to start your book

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:21 pm
Eimear says...

Do you or don't you?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:38 pm
Rydia says...

I have done occasionally, when I've written a piece based on or inspired by a quote but in general I don't.

For my most recent joint novel, we're pretty sure that we're going to use a quote but a quote of our own fabrication rather than an existing one so I'm not sure if that really counts...
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:13 pm
Aedomir says...

I may do, but I would make a quote up frm one of my characters, never frmo ther real world.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:15 pm
BigBadBear says...

I did on Midnight Darkness. I used the definition of 'werewolf' to begin it... yeah. Not really a quote, but it got it's own little page. XD

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:19 pm
Prosithion says...

I don't usually, but there are plenty of great quotes I have if I wanted to. In fact, I may, on The Cossack's Ride. I have the perfect quote.

"If I had Cossacks in my army, I would have ruled the world."- Napoleon Bonaparte

It really fits in with the story.

-Pros
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:23 pm
Emerson says...

Generally don't, but I'm kind of strange and do odd things in odd places. I think Death Machine needs to have quotes scattered randomly through it, but then you can't do things randomly, they have to be proper and systematic and with reason (bah!) so I need to work that out, hah. Having quotes in it would help ground it to reality. It's an historical fiction pieces, so if I have quotes from the era it will make the truth/reality of it stronger.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:03 pm
backgroundbob says...

I quotes to start things a lot, whether it be a story or a piece of philosophy, and essay or a blog entry. They serve to set the mood for a piece very effectively - the beginning of John Irving's classic novel, A Prayer for Owen Meaney, for example, has a quote from Leon Bloy that says, "any Christian who is not a hero is a pig." The tension between the two sides of that quote are the perfect intro to the book, especially considering it's paired with two equally excellent quote from St. Paul's Letter to the Phillipians and Frederick Buechner. Snatches of songs, philosophical one-liners, pieces of poetry: all of these find their place at the beginning of my writing, and I really think they serve not only to enhance my work but also as a homage and a tribute to some of the brilliance of other people's work that has inspired me.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:35 pm
Teague says...

I do, but more often than not I take it away by the end. Usually I just use it for inspiration. And more often than not it's a song lyric that I feel has something to do with the story, or the characters, or the feelings I'm trying to convey.

But yeah, I'll only keep one if it absolutely fits and I don't feel lame about it. D:

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:46 pm
Fishr says...

Yes, I have. It used to be a habit, probably still is. I used quotes in my younger days, either my own or using another's than putting their name next to it.

Bound for Glory: Our Brethren will have a quote by Patrick Henry at the very end, if I choose to follow through with it. And with the Epilogue, my own person quote that I've carried for years will finish it off, and that's it. My three year work will be completed.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:49 pm
Krupp says...

I never have used a quote to start things off. I'd rather kick things into gear by giving a vivid description of the scene instead..
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:58 am
View Likes
Rei says...

I've seen some that start every chapter that way. In some cases, it's from fictional books that only exsit in the author's imagination. In one case, though, it was quotes from real poems and a few informational pieces that were relevant. It can work, but you have to be careful. In the non-fiction book I'm working on, I do use a quote from a song. The reason I use it is because the book is about my year in the college residence, and they had made a video yearbook with the song I quote.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:37 pm
Eimear says...

I don't know about using it to start every chapter, but the one to start my book is this

"We are, what we believe we are"

C.S Lewis
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:04 pm
Firestarter says...

I use them frequently. I think they help to inspire and shape the piece if they match up perfectly, and is a great starting point when you're not always sure on the beginning. Good quotes at the start of stories always get me excited.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:13 pm
Areida says...

Mmm, quotes yummy. I love quotes. I collect them, really, and I love using them at any opportunity. Done well, they really enhance the poignancy of a piece. Especially, as others have said, to create a sense of legitimacy in historical pieces.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:36 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I love quotes, hoard them in my computer and quote them to other people whenenver I can, but in my writing, no, never.

I don't want to rely on other people's words to say what I want to say.
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom