z

Young Writers Society

3rd Person to Diary, Good Idea?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:37 pm
Aedomir says...

I was thinking for my possible trilogy, I could do the first part of each novel in 3rd person, then switch to diary for someone else. They would be the person that my MC and his friend are chasing. If you have read my story you will know I am talking about Aedomir and Seridon chasing after his old comrades.

Anyhow, another idea would be writing an entire book as a poem. So it would have chapters, but it would all be a narrative poem. Has this been done? I want to be original, lol.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:49 pm
Meep says...

Narrative poems have been done; the most famous example, I think, is Paradise Lost. Personally, I would advise against that, but only because I hate narrative poems ... they go in one ear and out the other, I'm afraid. :oops: That being said, if you want to do it, do it. Don't let my (or anyone else's) personal taste get in your way.

How long would the third person section be? That, I think, would make a big difference in whether or not it makes sense to do. Would it be like someone finding the diary in third person, and then they sit down to read it and that's when it shifts to the diary (kinda like Interview with the Vampire, only with a diary and not a monologue?)

Remember, you can always experiment with different things. If you write something one way and decide against it, you can always rewrite it. :)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

370 Reviews

Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:16 pm
Aedomir says...

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Would it be like someone finding the diary in third person, and then they sit down to read it and that's when it shifts to the diary (kinda like Interview with the Vampire, only with a diary and not a monologue?)

Most likely, yes. Will this make sense:

X + Y are chasing after X's old comrades. They are all dead apart from one, Z. Y shoots Z by mistake, and X finds his diary. Then it swtiches to diary.

Thank you!

2. Human.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:47 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Personally I would avoid it; switching perspective is one thing, but changing from third to first person will most likely ruin the flow, and seems unnecessary to me.

Stick to one or the other would be my advice. :)

But if you want to have a go at it, maybe it'll turn out great, and if not, like Meep said you can always rewrite it.
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

370 Reviews

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:13 pm
Aedomir says...

Fair enough, thanks for the advice Heidigirl!

2. Human.

And don't forget it's hydrate or diedrate
— zaminami