z

Young Writers Society

Writing software

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:02 pm
Aedomir says...

Does anyone know any good (free) novel writing software? I know that some give character relationship charts, characters, and do loads of helpful stuff.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:06 am
~Volant~ says...

heh. I don't know anything free, but Dramatica's pretty good. Personally, I hate (make that HATE) writing softwares, but this one's good if you want to really dissect your plot and characters.
Where are we going?

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:13 am
Kylan says...

Yeah, Dramatica's pretty spendy. Scratch that. Outrageously spendy. Trust me, good old pencil and paper will beat $200 software any day of the week.

But if you're bent and determined, try yWriter. It's free, it's easy and it's comprehensive. No bells and whistles, but free is free, ja?

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 am
Emerson says...

Software always looks cool, but in the end, anything they give you, you can do by yourself.

Try searching through www.download.com
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:49 am
Meep says...

For $200, I hope that program writes your stuff for you.

I just use MS Word for writing, and Notepad/TextEdit (depending on if I'm using my Windows or my Mac) for note taking, miscellaneous ideas and character sheets. (That way, I have MS Word on one side, and the notes up on the other side. It's really handy.)

If you're using a Mac, you could use this. It doesn't do anything but take up your entire screen (pretty much the only thing is you can change the colors to be easy on your eyes). There's a 30 day free trial, and then it costs $25 ... silly, really, seeing as it really does practically nothing.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:26 pm
RedHill says...

Or, if you like WriteRoom, you could use Q10. It's completely free and really easy to use, and basically offers you a way to write on the computer without being distracted by shiny buttons. Here!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
— Paul Brandt