z

Young Writers Society

Getting published in magazines - any suggestions?

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:16 am
Wolf says...

I've sent in my piece 'City of Ashes' to a children's literature magazine called 'Stone Soup', but soon I'll be too old to submit and I need something...new.

So! Does anyone know of any magazines for adolescents/pre-teens that accept (As in you send it in and they decide if they can use it or not) the work of young writers?
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:38 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

Duotrope is an amazing site. That is what I use.

Otherwise, just be sure you follow all of the guide lines. Read them a million times, and a million more before you hit "send". I've had problems with forgetting things and then submitting. It's real disheartening.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:08 am
Cade says...

Ah, I remember when I used to get Stone Soup!

Hmm...there's Teen Ink, though that's not very...high-quality. *cough*

There's also this high school literary magazine in Montana that decided to go international. They sent mail to our magazine here in NY...it's called Aerie International. I don't know their website, so you might Google it.

There aren't as many publications out there for young writers, but there are a lot of contests. Many of them offer money, and even if you don't get any $ from it, there are still bragging rights. :D
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:43 am
Emerson says...

You can try contests as well, which are good ways to make money and be published. Some contests cost money though (reading fees?) and so it is hard to see what is legit or not. Even The Writer's Digest contest charged me for entering, so if you go into contests I would suggest looking through thoroughly; can you trust this site? Don't loose your work to overzealousness, and realize you were scammed.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:15 am
Wolf says...

Thanks you guys! I'll definitely check out Duotrope and the others. :)
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:54 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Teen Ink is a good one. I think it's got some pretty high-quality stuff in it. Some of the fiction pieces are excellent. Some are just okay, but that's life. That's probably the easiest one to be published in. I have no idea what Duotrope is.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman