z

Young Writers Society

would you read about the revolutionary war?

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:31 pm
blustarr9009 says...

Ok, so I'm taking American history this year in school, and i read the quote by Patrick Henry, and that got me really motivated to write something about the revolutionary war. The thing is, would anyone really read it?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:36 pm
Sam says...

Oh, totally. Historical fiction is difficult to do in that you have to work in the history and not make it seem overly-obvious, but it's really cool when someone pulls it off. ^_^ Best of luck! PM me if you ever put something up.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:38 pm
Firestarter says...

Yes! I would gladly read it.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:04 pm
blustarr9009 says...

awesome...ok, i'll put some stuff on here for y'all :D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be bought with chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
~Patrick Henry

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:05 pm
Emerson says...

If it was well written, I would eat it up quicker than cheese cake, haha.

Like Sam said, though, it can be a bit difficult. Heh.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:37 pm
Fishr says...

For those who know me, need I answer? :P

PM me, and I'll gladly read and edit it. I've studied the 18th Century specifically for nearly four years, and the Revolutionary War since I was twelve. I have stacks upon stacks of books specifically dealing with this period. In fact, I've begun collectiong milteria from the 18th Century. I have an Officer's Light Calvary Saber, circa 1770-1780 in my collection of sharp and pointy things.

My own novel is dedicated to the pre-Revolutionary years, meaning the events that led up to the war itself.

So yes, I'm a buff with this period, tenfold.

EDIT: Patrick Henry is one very interesting character. He's known to be a firebrand, and no other can possibly claim that title except Samuel Adams, and even that is debateble. Henry was very much the firecracker or more accurately - the bonfire of the Revolution. "By his very tongue, he could change the laws of men." -Unknown quote I've retained. I've also have done quite a bit of research on Henry's biography and briefly put my love of the Revolutionary War and Henry's true character to the test. If you're interested, in my portfolio, check out "Pugna Pro Patria." It's a short story revolving around the famed 1765 Stamp Act.

Best,
Jess
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

To be a master of metaphor is the greatest thing by far. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others, and it is also a sign of genius.
— Aristotle, Poetics