z

Young Writers Society

Teen Ink

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:15 am
chocoholic says...

I'm thinking of sending some of my things in to Teen Ink, but I ahve some questions about it before I do.

1- I live in Austrlia. Does that matter? Can I still send it in? If my piece is published, will I still get a copy of the magazine?

2- Do you get paid or anything?

3- Has anyone else here sent anything to Teen Ink? If so, what did you think of it? Have you read it ever? What's it like? I really want to get some of my stuff out there, and this could be really good.

Thanks.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 am
rosethorn says...

I used to get this magazine from a few of my teachers in high school, who got samples of it a couple times a year. I wanted to subscribe to it myself, but to my understanding, it is only distributed in bulk supplies; for classrooms.

If you have a copy of the magazine, I would think it would say whether you have to be a US citizen to submit or not.

As for getting paid, I am pretty sure that you don't. There are contests in the magazine with prizes, but in general, I don't think you get paid.

I believe you'd get more information from their website than here. Try sending them an email. It's no more trouble than posting your questions here.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:39 am
TellATaleForTwo says...

I remember buying a book by them once...

It was a lot like Chicken Soup for the Soul, only 10 times as depressing...

I never made it through the whole thing.
"Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past."

~Kate and Leopold

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm
Leja says...

It's at the library, and I read it once, but found the prose boring, the poetry shallow, and the commentary/book reviews to be hopeless regurgitations of what the reviewer had heard through other sources.

As for payment, I don't think they pay you. But I can check it out again next time I come across it.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:08 pm
Kylan says...

Listen to Amelia. It's a hodgepodge of b-rated stories and poems. The submission process is extremly casual; no query letters, no emailing, no snail mail (you copy and paste your story/poem into a text box and fill in your name and email address).

And what's worse, you don't get paid. And if you're not accepted, you're entry is just ignored.

Submit if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it...

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:39 pm
View Likes
lyrical_sunshine says...

I've had four things published in Teen Ink. I'm pretty sure they'd welcome an entry from Australia. And some of the submissions that I've read are excellent, not B-rated at all. So go for it. See what happens.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien