z

Young Writers Society

A quick summary of my story

Reviews: 3
Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:48 pm
View Likes
MinnesotaGurl1 says...

Okay, hi everyone Im new here. I am 13 years old and I love writing. I have never written a fantasy so I though, "hey, might as well try it, right?"
so, so far i only have a summary of what my story is going to be about, but tell me if you like it.

There is a teenage witch named Ella and she meets a girl named Faye. Ella later finds out that Faye also is a witch. Faye gets captured by dark wizards and they bring her to their homeland and put an evil spell on her. Ella has to save her and go through the wizards land (havent figured out a name yet) and their land is a great big maze/puzzle. She has to go through their land to get and get a cure to save Faye before time runs out or Faye will be completely under dark control. I don't have a title yet, but I am thinking of calling it "A Darker Faye" or something like that. So what do you think?

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:27 am
View Likes
Skye says...

Welcome! (Okay, that's kind of hypocritical, since I just joined today, but...)
I love the idea of a puzzle-land, and the plot is good too. I wouldn't call it "A Darker Faye" myself, though. Of course, I have been known to choose cool/cryptic titles that are only related remotely to the story. :oops:
All in all, though, it sounds good!

~Skye Demon

PS> Can we post ideas in this forum, or is it just for stories? You might want to check that out.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:35 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Not sure.. you'll hafta ask Nate or ZZAP or someone.

OOH I love the story of a puzzle land! *wonders if she can fit that into her ever-growing story* Lol.. Don't worry, I don't steal ideas.

That sounds good.. I agree with Skye, I wouldn't name it A Darker Faye, but I'm afraid I can't give you a better title. I've found that it helps to title the story AFTER you start writing it. Then you have an idea of where it's going to go. My story used to be called Dragon Realm, but I ended up changing the storyline and my title now, The Chronicles of Taer, is much more appropriate. Also, it allows me to write more than one book, creating a series. I'm still thinking about it. :P
Love and Light

Reviews: 3
Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:55 am
View Likes
MinnesotaGurl1 says...

Hmmm... I was questioning the title myself. Any body have any other ideas???

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:42 am
View Likes
ZZAP says...

Skye Demon wrote:PS> Can we post ideas in this forum, or is it just for stories? You might want to check that out.

Sorry hon, no can do... I would just post on the Lounge. Not that there's anything wrong with posting for ideas, but it's a matter with our point system. Some people might take advantage of it, and try to sketch! their way into gaining points. Happy posting! 8)

-Z

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:13 am
View Likes
Perra says...

Ah, yes, the puzzle/maze land idea is very good. :xmas_cool: Good luck with your writing.

For a title, maybe "Witch's Maze." Although, that's a little misleading. But I've seen others that are misleading. I'd follow Crysi's advice about naming your story.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

594 Reviews

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:00 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

ZZAP wrote:
Skye Demon wrote:PS> Can we post ideas in this forum, or is it just for stories? You might want to check that out.

Sorry hon, no can do... I would just post on the Lounge. Not that there's anything wrong with posting for ideas, but it's a matter with our point system. Some people might take advantage of it, and try to sketch! their way into gaining points. Happy posting! 8)

-Z

Of course, WE would never do that.. :wink:

Glad you liked my idea, Perra. That's how I've named all my stories.. and when I write essays, I wait until the end to create a title. Otherwise I spend the entire time trying to think of something that includes everything I want to write about!
Love and Light

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:46 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

That's a good idea! Yes, the puzzle land sounds interesting. One word of caution, don't let the bad guys fall into the 'bad guy' stero types and be purely evil just because. There has to be a reason. Same with the goodies, they make mistakes too, just like normal people. (I don't really think your plot suggests you were going to follow tis path, but if you've never written a fantasy before just make sure you're aware of it!)

By the way... WELCOME!!! :D
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:13 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

You're welcome, Crysi! I didn't come up with a title until....3 monthes later? I still don't know if it's good. And it's a two-part story, so the title I've come up with is just for the two stories as a group(like a title for a trilogy, which my story was for a little bit not too long ago). Point of that sentence was that I need another title for the first story. Anyway!!!

Good point, El. Although usually the bad guy in fantasy stories will be at least close to pure evil. Another thing that I've seen a lot-well, in my two TV shows and some stories(maybe) at least-is that the bad guys always seem to kill off lackeys! It annoys me! Ok, that probably doesn't help you so I'll stop talking about that.

If you haven't already found this out, it might help to write notes on the story, such as history of the land and characters and maps and outlines. It's not a necessity to finish those, I didn't even know to do them before I started. But it might help you keep the story going and describing it. My story feels a little deeper now that I've written just a little bit of those notes.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

594 Reviews

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

DEFINITELY!!!

With other stories I've started, I had absolutely no notes, and barely any plot. With this story, however, I have a few notepads full of notes, and I'm constantly building on it!

I also agree that you should avoid stereotyping, well, any character. One of my "baddies" (who is later found to be not so bad) turned dark and cold when he witnessed his father's murder. Another one is just a corrupt king who wants power, and who belongs to a line that has always considered themselves higher than the other lines, and he pushes his son to have the same desire.

Also, I find it very interesting to have people who aren't really bad, but aren't really good. Like the first character I explained about. He had a job as an assassin, and is involved in several illegal acts, but he is also very loyal to the few he becomes close to. I like playing with the idea that right and wrong are relative, and I try to show that while one race may assume certain facts about another race, that doesn't mean they're true, OR it doesn't mean they don't have a reason for it. The Dark Dragons raid because they live in a very run-down society, and the rulers don't do anything to help them. But to the victims of the raids, the Dark Dragons take pleasure in raiding and consider it a sport, only doing it to test out their abilities.

That's why I've been playing with the idea of having at least a trilogy. The first book will be about the Drykorians and their perspective on the war, the second one will be about the Syndrikans, and the third will be about the non-dragonkin. I might have it like Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, where each book tells about the same point in time, but from a different point of view. Or, I may have the second book continue from the first one, looking back on the events but inevitably moving forward, to give more information on the times after the war. *shrugs* But hey, I'm rambling! This isn't a thread about what we're planning for our books! Gah, you really must never let me talk about my story on here again! :P
Love and Light

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:24 am
View Likes
LiNdSeYo7 says...

Good idea, take your time and work with it.. How about calling it, "Witch Way To Faye" haha.. Okay so maybe that's a 'lil tacky.
<3 Lindsey

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:35 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

Also, ask your self questions! That really helps things sound natural, as well as playing about with 'maybes'. Question you story, like: Why does the wizard want faye evil? Maybe she has a secret power she knows nothing about. etc.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:21 pm
Firestalker says...

NO!!!!

Improve the plot to get deeper. Eg - as Ella goes through the 'wizard lands' she discovers some thing that that will change her life for ever etc. Other than that the names are good.
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:01 pm
Meep says...

(Please just use the default font. That blue is a killer on the eyes. Yikes. If you're having a hard time reading the default font 'cause it's too small (it happens) adjust the settings on your browser and make the font larger. It will make everything easier for everyone, including you.)

Anyway, I like the idea that the entire land/kingdom is some sort of maze, presumably with different obstacles to pass. I hope that you'll expand on the magic system and make something interesting and unique, instead of just mimicking other fantasy writers. (It's an easy trap to fall into, and I think that we all do it at least once.)
One thing to ask yourself is why Ella rushes off to rescue someone she presumably met only recently?

I'm not sure that I'm lovin' the title, since it doesn't seem to fit the story.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:33 pm
Snoink says...

Moved to Writers Corner! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon