z

Young Writers Society

A Little Whimsical in the Brain Pan

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:53 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

If you haven't figured me out by now, you should now that I have this problem. The problem is that I have so many ideas and characters milling around in this brain of mine that I usually don't finish stories, because I've started another. One of my new years resolutions is to actually finish a novel.

Since, I have a gigantic creativity dumpster, which is where my unfinished projects end up when I lose steam.

For the things that are going right now.

Guttersnipe -- Alternate Historical Fiction

I have four chapters written, though only 3 1/2 typed up. I have also gone out on a personal limb and actually, ACTUALLY edited. Wow! Exciting. I love this novel. It is so fun and wonderful to write. I adore my characters, though they don't always adore me. I have various sketches already written ready to insert when I get to the right parts in the time-line.

There actually might be a sequel, or at least a short after the end, just because I have the best scene involving the reuniting of Regan and Archie.

Heroine Addiction (NaNo '06) -- Historical Fiction

I love historical fiction and time travel, so I combined the forces and thought up HD. I did not win Nanowrimo this year, but wrote over 27k which is amazing for me. I have always been fascinated with time travel, and loved taking a modern woman, and forcing her out of her element, and out of her own century. I also love Napoleonic War Naval Stuff, yeah, this was just an excuse to write about loverly officers in their pretty uniforms.

Unfortunately, December came along and all my characters went off to the pub and never came back. I shall try and hunt them down after I edit.

Brier Gods -- Fantasy

My newest fantasy endeavor. Bram, in my head, accidentally killed someone, and I thought it would be fun to see how it planned out. I have a first chapter, some what. I've finished planning, and creating characters, but I've put this on the back burner to Guttersnipe unless something amazingly good comes up in this brain of mine.

Strange Gods -- Fantasy

A short story in the Brier Gods verse, I started this as a Fool's Duel Entry but did not finish in time. Frey accidentally crossed into the GOD PLANE and over hears some interesting things.

A Heart So White -- Fantasy

I started this on a whim, originally it was going to be a short story, originally it was going to be pure fiction, but my characters had other plans. It is probably going to end up being a three part series - just 'cause I love George.

Grave Girl -- Fantasy

I originally wrote this years ago under the title Locoweed, I found it a month or so ago in my creativity dumpster and decided to resurrect it. It has evolved into it's own creature though, with some very interesting things. Being a bit smaller, than good vs. evil, I've just made it about Tis, and the issues she faces being a Witch.

Ruse -- Fantasy

Originally titled: Harlequin Bess, I started this because I wanted to try my hand at writing first person again, as I haven't done so in a millenia. It is a lot of fun, and rather comical what with the total love between Bess, Silverlock, and Grim.

After writing what appeared to be a first chapter, I realised how much I suck at writing first person.

So, yeah, I really should finish something.

:shock:

Laters,
Cal.
Last edited by Caligula's Launderette on Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:11 pm
Firestarter says...

Yes, you should since you're a great writer, and it would be awesome to see you finish something.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:16 pm
gyrfalcon says...

*sidles sheepishly away*
I really have read the first chapter or two of Guttersnipe, I really have!!! It's just...I saved my crit to a word document and...well, I kept forgetting to post it and...*sniffle* I'm sworryyyy!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:31 pm
Wiggy says...

You ARE amazing, Cal! Post, post, post! *chants louder and louder*

But who am I to say anything? I haven't posted Inscription since 8/18/06! :shock:

We love your writing!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:17 am
Poor Imp says...

...Whatever happened to Faeid?

Then to reiterate the previous posters: you will post more and finish...? Honestly, it's often too much fun to read your writing, CL - not entirely inexplicable. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

531 Reviews

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:11 pm

Oh, wow. Faeid - Shadow Kin? I haven't touched either in ages. I think I may have lost Chapter Four of Faeid, which is a traves-sham-ockery cause Four was arguably my best chapter.

Hmm, I think I shall post my creatively dumpster stories, ones that I put on hold.

And, if I don't finish something, I give you all freedom to bludgeon me to death.

Poor Imp wrote:Honestly, it's often too much fun to read your writing, CL - not entirely inexplicable. ^_^

Why, thank you ma'dear, Imp.

*hugs Wiggy, Jack, Gyr, and Imp*

You people are the reason I keep writing.

Chowder, be free,
Cal.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

Those look pretty interesting. I have that problem too. I've been trying to get through my mind numbing bout of writers block with the book i'm trying to write, book one of the Chronicles of Oblivion (which still hasn't stopped), and i've come up with an idea for yet another story, on top of several other srories i've been wanting to write. Now I want to write both, well, all of them actually, but I can barely handle one! Well, I guess my original point was, I know how you feel.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:20 am
Meshugenah says...

*is reminded she still hasn't read Guttersnipe*

I'll get to that when I have a chance, methinks. 'Cause the little bit of your writing I have read, I've loved.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

531 Reviews

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Aww, Bek, you make me feel special.

Clouds, I know. It's just so frustrating.

MOOHAHAHAHAHAH! MORE NEW STUFF!

I wish I could sever the synapses that link the part of my brain that makes up new and exciting things and the rest of my brain. Or, deaden it for a wee bit.

I have crafted two new stories. Both in the planing and drafting stage.

TWILIGHT -- Fantasy

Larch was once the best theif in the land, everybody wanted a piece of him, I mean everybody. Patria finally did trap him, and reformed him or so they though. He was their theiving lackey. Well, he was until Patria went and got doomed. Right before Patria surrenders and the royal family gets their pretty little heads lopped off, The Queen, holds a private conference with Larch, and relays him some very interesting information.

Larch dislikes me. But, he has nothing on the rest of the hate others have shown - mainly Brioris from Faied and Regan & Archie from Guttersnipe.

Fox Feet/Den of Foxes -- Historical Fiction

Hmm... it seems lately my MCs really like being theives.

Place: Europe.
Time: 1802, The Peace of Amiens has just been signed.
Person: Jonathon Fox (Alternately known as Johnny or Jack Fox).

Jonathan is a British spy working for Lord Grenville, the former British Foreign Secretary. Although it is peace time, there is no rest for the wicked. And Johnny can be very, very wicked.

For other news, I have been editing HD and working on Guttersnipe.

Chowder, be free.
Cal.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:32 am
Wiggy says...

We all like those...mysterious thieves, though, right? ^_~
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

531 Reviews

Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:36 am

Of course!
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:16 am
Firestarter says...

I want to read Fox Feet/Den of Foxes right now! Political intrigue and violence in the best goddamn period ever? Awesomenessage.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

531 Reviews

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:46 pm

I will do my best to get something churned out soon.

:D

Johnny is pressuring me to write anyway.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:15 pm
Sam says...

Well, he very well should be...

Teehee, Cal, I love your titles- they're always clever. Though, "Heroine Addiction" is my favorite of all time. :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

531 Reviews

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:05 am

Fox Feet/Den of Foxes Update

I created a new character Isaac, and he officially wins the suckiest childhood ever award. His mother was a midwife, his father a country judge, those two were estranged since right after Isaac was born. He found a dead baby near his house when he was eight, and the townsfolk tried him as a witch. Right after they trussed him up his mother showed up, and they burned her instead. Apparently, finding dead babies will get you set on fire. The best part about the whole ordeal was that Isaac's father was the presiding judge. His father sent him to an asylum in Scotland. He dreams of his dead mother often. The asylum didn't quite destroy him, he developed a pretty severe case of OCD, he once tried to remove his freckles with a rasp (it's like a nail file, but used on horses), and, well, he becomes a compulsive liar. Oh, and he is madly in love with one of the hired help on the asylum estate, who is unfortunately not Jack Hughman's twin.

Isaac and Culadhcain should talk and start a support group. No actually Sam's Upton (Upton, right? From Hourglass?) should get together and start a support group.

How Isaac met Johnny Fox -- Johnny, on assignment, takes residence in a barn for the night, and the woman of the house finds him, beats him up proper, and the next thing he comes across in the wilds is the asylum. When Johnny leaves he smuggles Isaac out; the kid looked like he needed to get out, and Johnny knew talent when he saw it. Gareth is probably going to raise holy hell, he is not the prettiest anymore. Oh, Isaac can't wink or whistle, he just looks/sounds retarted when he tries.

He thinks it is very sarcastic of me to name him Isaac as the name means he laughs.

Update on A Heart so White

I finished it, somewhat for my Creative Writing class. I am not to happy with some of it, but hopefully after whole class workshop, I can mold it into something I am proud of.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind