Young Writers Society

2938: Salvation

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:30 am
View Likes
Isbah says...

hello everyone,
i'm currently writing a novel based on The Giver and an idea I had. but i'm stuck on the second chapter. what happens is, scientists make a discovery that makes it possible to give birth to babies that do not feel. like, they can take away the emotions while the mothers are pregnant. I haven't actually done research on this. in the novel, I want to show how efficiency and a painless world doesn't mean anything. I want to show how the beauty of life is in the grief.
The main character is a teenage girl who loves an author's writings. the discovery has been made and the world is changing.
the author's work makes her realise that if this keeps going on, humanity will be lost. so the girl sets out to stop the harm before it can be done.
schools all over the world are giving kids lectures about this, and how it will benefit the world. how a race of superhuman could be born because of this.
this is about all i've decided right now. i'm not even sure if it makes sense. I would love to hear your advice about this.
I also though that maybe it could be that the world has already changed and the girl does not who her parents are and no kid does anymore because they are all taken away at birth to be brought up "the right way" so she's confused about who she is and sets out to find out who her parents are and rats how she discovers the author who inspires her to try to change stuff. this is an alternate idea. or maybe they could both be merged together somehow?
help.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
~ Pablo Picasso

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:29 pm
View Likes
Rose says...

Hi Isbah! I'm not familiar with 'The Giver', but you seem to have a very interesting idea in mind. The fact that people want that world to become emotionless is a gripping theme, but ultimately your way of writing it will make it come alive. And the idea of the young girl believing in a world full of emotion seems like the perfect way to carry the reader through the story.

And her not knowing who her parents are could be the mystery she's trying to solve, maybe the author is one of her parents. Maybe her mother died when she was born, because she was one of the "experiments". And if they're experimenting with serums, maybe it didn't really work, so her mother died and the girl was born with emotions. The young girl could then be separated from her father and sent to this school where she learns to live without emotions. Inspired by his grief, he could've written the book. (His book could've also been banned).

For some more inspiration you might like to look at the book/series 'All The Light We Cannot See'.

I hope I've helped you a little with these ideas. But remember, they're just ideas, and it's up to you whether you want to consider them or not. I look forward to reading your novel one day :), good luck!
Think like a proton; always positive ;)

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:04 am
View Likes
Isbah says...

thanks @Rose
I love the idea of her mother being involved in the experiments.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
~ Pablo Picasso

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:43 pm
View Likes
Rose says...

Glad I could help! :D
Think like a proton; always positive ;)

I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye