z

Young Writers Society

Working on a new short story, Need some help!

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:55 pm
View Likes
Youbeaucupid says...

Hii Cupid here, so I had an idea for a new story, right? But I can't seem to get it started- I have some of the characters started and rough draft for the story called, "A sucker for a sucker" but I just can't find the right words to start it. I'd love some help with this so here's some info on the story!

Side characters

*Liam Richardson
Boy friend: Caucasian, white skin, blue eyes, brown shoulder length hair, playboy, 5’7 (Basic body, washboard abs)

Rene Cha Soon-Jung
Girl friend: Latina & Korean, tan skin, dark brown eyes, black wavy hair, academic weapon (who loves to party) 5’2
(short, gremlin)*

Main Characters

*Felix Garcia
Main boy: Caucasian & Hispanic, tan skin, Green eyes, black curly hair, sweet tooth (diabetic) (Lean body) 5’9

Valerie Martin
Main girl: Caucasian, white skin, baby blue eyes, straight blonde shoulder length hair, bubbly. (Always clumsy) 5’6*

(that's some character info it's not done but thought I'd share.)

Here's the (kinda) plot.

A girl named Valerie (Val for short) keeps bumping into this guy named Felix and every time she does he gives her a strawberry sucker, she thanks him and continue walking to her classes. Throughout the day she keeps thinking about the boy who gave her a sucker, she puts her thoughts aside though and pays attention to the professor.

This keeps happening for weeks, She bumps into him, he gives her another strawberry sucker and they carry on with their lives. Soon it becomes a habit they start walking by the same campus path to run into each other and he gives her a sucker every time. A few months later they end up learning things about each other, (names, majors, etc.) so as she walks down their regular campus pathway she notices he’s not there, she doesn’t see him at all that day so she tries again the next day, same thing. He stops showing up on campus and she doesn’t see him anywhere anymore.

(Then switch pov’s to the Guy)

After a year, (Or so) he’s walking down the familiar campus pathway he’d been studying overseas for that past year and finally came back for spring break to see his family and friends, But as he’s walking down the pathway he see’s a familiar face, a girl he got to know last year and who he always gave a sucker too. He smiles as soon as he see’s her and shouts a greeting.

She looks up and locks eyes with him; she immediately grins ear-to-ear and runs towards him, he opens his arms for her and she happily runs into his arms, almost knocking them both to the ground. He ends up explaining why he disappeared over the year and said he couldn’t contact her because they never exchanged numbers. She suddenly lets go of him and starts rummaging through her purse looking furiously for something, he’s about to ask what she’s looking for, when she suddenly whips out a sweetly familiar wrapper, a strawberry sucker.(That’s a rough draft of how it ends)

Again, this is just a VERY rough draft of a story me and my sister thought out and I really love the concept, I just don't know how to start it or really how to write it- 😭
•I romanticized you to the point where the knives you pressed into my skin began to look like cupid's arrrow.•

211 Reviews

Reviews: 211
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:22 am
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

Hi there, Youbeacupid! Hope you're doing well today/tonight. :)

I absolutely love this idea! It's so interesting and as soon as I starting reading it I was invested. I really really hope you write this, because it's just so cool!

Now I'm not the best one to ask for advise on stories because I'm typically the one begging for help, but I thought I might as well give what little ideas I have. :)

I know it's usually strong to start out a story introducing the setting and main character, although I know a lot of people like to use strong words to hook the reader. For example, if you're writing in past tense, you could have Val looking back at what happened a while ago. "I remember thinking about all the exams I had later that day that I should have studied for but had neglected when I bumped into him. Without saying a word, he pulled me back to my feet, handed me a strawberry sucker, and walked away." Just an idea, although I'm not sure how well I explained that.

I know it's not very helpful to say, but whenever I need ideas, I just need to sit down and brainstorm. Or if I've been trying that for a while and can't get anywhere, I take a break.

Hopefully I could be just a little helpful. ^^
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
~Dr. Seuss

Orabella ~ Ora ~ Avenue ~ Aven
She/her

71 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:32 pm
View Likes
Youbeaucupid says...

Good morning! Thank you for the suggestion Orabella!!

So, I actually was thinking of writing it like that, either for a starter or an end but, I just have a really hard time putting my stories into words, my sisters been helping me out and we got a few idea's for the starting line, but I might just have to steal yours! (・ิω・ิ)ノ

Thanks for some suggestions and I can't wait to get this started EEEE!!!
•I romanticized you to the point where the knives you pressed into my skin began to look like cupid's arrrow.•

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:18 am
View Likes
susanlipinski says...

This is a fantastic concept! It's fascinating, and I was hooked as soon as I started reading it. I truly hope you write this because it's fantastic!

Reviews: 3
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm
View Likes
IntrovertedArtist says...

Hi Cupid! Starting a story but not knowing hot to start it has happened to me SO many times.

I’m not sure if this helps but try listening to music that fits the vibe of your book, sometimes that helps me get an idea. Sometimes you just need some inspiration and maybe you could read some books that are kinda like yours and find what you like that the author did.

And try to add some of your original ✨flair✨ to it and see if that’s what you like.
Again not sure if this helps but I hope it does it helps me sometimes so I hope it helps you!
- Hello my FABULOUS Friends and Fairytales! lets get friendly and fantastical! -

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:07 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Ooh I like this concept! I find I'm hooked best if I can really get a feel for a clear narrative voice from the start of a book. Maybe Val is rushing to class in the first instance, so we can see what she's like under pressure. Does this usually happen or is it a one off? That starts to establish some of her personality. Then when she and Felix bump into each other the tension is already built because she's late and literally has no time to spare when bumping into him. She takes the sucker because she's in a rush and only later has a chance to realise how weird that is and start thinking about Felix in general.

I can see why it would be tempting to look back to begin with, but I personally prefer to get thrown into the middle of some kind of action because I find it easier to connect with the characters!

71 Reviews

Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:46 pm
Youbeaucupid says...

Hi Art! Thank you for the suggestion, I usually litern to music when I write actually the amount of playlists I have is crazy lol.

I found out how to start my story off but now I'm having a hard time actually sticking to the same story (*My draft's crying rn* (ू˃̣̣̣̣̣̣︿˂̣̣̣̣̣̣ ू)) but any who, thank you for the suggestions, happy writing!! ʚ♡⃛ɞ(ू•ᴗ•ू❁)

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
— Thomas Edison